• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess there really is a first time for everything......Chevy engine on my 'Mopar' engine stand in my shop!!! Got a question or two....

the one here has the famous "double camel hump" heads :D

1718884799749.png

1718884828847.png

who are we kidding?
this site could use a good Camaro build thread :D

hammered6.jpg

20220519_005046.jpg
IMG_20230117_213841791_HDR.jpg

And there's big and small journal cranks iirc
Yeah....known about that for a group of time but don't know yet what dit one is...
Numbers stamped on the pad will tell you lots, but if theyre gone or pre stamping old enough, you can look at the casting numbers on the block itself; depending upon year etc, look on the top of the block behind the distributor 'hole' and / or on the block side, usually on teh driver side towards the rear. That number will tell you what it started life as.
As has been noted, its not a 327 if its 4 bolt main, but just because its 2 bolt doesnt mean it is....; gotta have those casting numbers or get serious about measuring bore and stroke.
I measured the bore and stroke and that's what told me it was a 327....noticed that a couple of pistons were really close to TDC so thought I'd see if it would turn and it did and the piston was really close so I measured the ones that were at BDC and the numbers were there.
the one here has the famous "double camel hump" heads :D

View attachment 1681984

View attachment 1681986
Well, the heads that were single bolted to this thing are the later model heads that use the VC's that screw on in the center....last 3 of the casting # is 193 on both heads and are bare. Was going to post a pic of them but why fer lol

Not if you are careful!! I decked a numbers matching '69 DZ over a $100k Camaro and did not touch the VIN. Wasn't easy, but I did it...
I agree, it's do-able. And in the case of a collector block like a DZ it's mandatory.
But I'll bet that 95% of the shops out there decking small block chevies, don't pay any attention to the numbers.

Yeah....known about that for a group of time but don't know yet what dit one is...

I measured the bore and stroke and that's what told me it was a 327....noticed that a couple of pistons were really close to TDC so thought I'd see if it would turn and it did and the piston was really close so I measured the ones that were at BDC and the numbers were there.

Well, the heads that were single bolted to this thing are the later model heads that use the VC's that screw on in the center....last 3 of the casting # is 193 on both heads and are bare. Was going to post a pic of them but why fer lol
I didn't look up the #s
but;
mid 90's LT1 heads (?) maybe
or more likely Vortec heads, very common SBC smog era heads
both decent heads (mid 90's LT1 are better, precursors to the LS) if prepped correctly

so it's an older block/short block
someone 'threw' some later model 'bare' (?) heads on

I didn't look up the #s
but;
mid 90's LT1 heads (?) maybe
or more likely Vortec heads, very common SBC smog era heads
both decent heads (mid 90's LT1 are better, precursors to the LS) if prepped correctly

so it's an older block/short block
someone 'threw' some later model 'bare' (?) heads on
Not sure what the history is of this engine.....the late model heads were just single bolted to the block with a pair of 4 bolt M/T valve covers just sitting on top of them.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

at least you kept it short and sweet :poke:

one of my 67's way back in like 81-82 (?) 1st 8 second pass
all Iron 468cid single 4bbl LS7 Mark IV BBC rectangle port
Budnicks 67 Camaro 8.98 @ Sacramento early 1980's (brightened up a tad).png

same car in the background, 1978-79-ish
of my 23 T AA/Gas altered blown 301cid Donovan

Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered AA-Gas 6-71 Blown 301ci Donovan (1).jpg

to the left in the background/garage, my early 67 with RS w/z28 options (no badges in that year)
rare, cortex silver & black stripes 302cid 4 speed 12 bolt

Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

Last edited:
this oughta pacify the unruly Mopar mob........

Camaros are rust buckets too....... :lol:

111.jpg

I have a soft spot in my head for 327's.
Me too. I talk trash but I've done my share of chebbys and ferds.
When I was in high school I got hold of a Willys Jeep with a 327 in it and I loved that thing. It would go anywhere, looked and sounded good doing it.
Mom was convinced I was gonna kill myself in it so they sold it out from under me "for my own good"....I still give her chit over that one!

They made for a damn good swather engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back