• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess there really is a first time for everything......Chevy engine on my 'Mopar' engine stand in my shop!!! Got a question or two....

I agree, it's do-able. And in the case of a collector block like a DZ it's mandatory.
But I'll bet that 95% of the shops out there decking small block chevies, don't pay any attention to the numbers.
I had to file off the 0.0055" at the bottom of the pics because if I cut any further, bye-bye VIN. Here ya go...

IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG

Nicely done! (I didn't know the vin was there too. I was just thinking of preserving the DZ!).
This is where it usually is, but depending on year and vehicle assy plant, it can also be found on the oil filter mounting peripheral, bellhousing flange edge, and I think just above the oil pan rail but I don't remember which side. If stamped into the rough casting area, it is quite hard to see.

This is where it usually is, but depending on year and vehicle assy plant, it can also be found on the oil filter mounting peripheral, bellhousing flange edge, and I think just above the oil pan rail but I don't remember which side. If stamped into the rough casting area, it is quite hard to see.
Thanks. The only chevy small block engine I've had new enough to have a Vin was a 70s crate motor 370hp 350, and of course, it didn't have a Vin either.
(Now I'm curious. I bet there is a Vin on my Opel engine... but of course that's meaningless now, lol)

Me too. I talk trash but I've done my share of chebbys and ferds.
When I was in high school I got hold of a Willys Jeep with a 327 in it and I loved that thing. It would go anywhere, looked and sounded good doing it.
Mom was convinced I was gonna kill myself in it so they sold it out from under me "for my own good"....I still give her chit over that one!
My Dad's first car post WWII was a '54 Ford that he acquired after my brother stopped making payments on a loan my Dad co signed for .

Next my Dad bought a larkspur blue and cream '57 Chevy 2 door HT....beautiful car. That was about 1961. Next came a '65 Chevelle plain jane 300 Deluxe followed by a '67 Chevelle SS396 that I convinced my Dad he needed while I was at a Chevy dealer turning wrenches.

Meanwhile I had a long series of Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and misc. $35 cars.

When I started dirt track racing I was building a Pontiac but we found a Ford Starliner for $50 that needed frame work so we ran that. I was working at Dodge City as a front end/ a/c guy and really wasn't a Ford guy. And all my Chevy friends insisted I was stupid for racing a Ford ( despite the fact that one guy had won 11 track titles in six years in a '57 Ford).

The more they hated on me the more I liked Fords. I raced them from '69 until 1988.

But a '65 Fury II was one Mopar that I drove and really liked. 318 A, 3 on the tree 4 door ... Old man tan. Paid $75 for it...got T boned on my way to work. Drove it that way for a year. Great car.

That car always stuck in my mind.

My four years working at two Dodge and Plymouth dealers were my reasons for becoming a Pentastar guy.

Auto Transport Service
Back