• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever had the lower crank pulley explode?

canblue

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Coronet that we bought in 1997. On Sept 18, coming back from the mechanics I had a "major" engine failure. The temp
gauge pegged the dial twice, I pulled over to the side of the road. At that point steam was coming from under the hood. Thought I
had blown a rad hose. On lifting the hood, the rad hoses were still in one piece. The engine bay and under the hood were covered with antifreeze. Looked around to see what had happened and found the lower crank pulley resting on the passenger side to the K member. Fan blade was damaged. Any way has any one had the pulley explode. See attached picture.
20240918_160503.jpg

Picture makes me wonder if the remaining bolt hole even had a bolt in it?

Good question. I do not know. 5 bolts were still attached to the damper, 6th one? Was able to find all of the metal pieces. May be a small crack grew.

I have had that happen before on our 340 Stockers.

I will NOT use the old stock pulleys on anything that regularly runs
over 6500 regularly.

Bolts were still tight in the damper but most of the rest of the pulley
had left the building. It departed straight down and actually put a decent
hole in the track through the lights @ 7,400.

Glad that you may the run in 1 piece. Have not found any for that RPM range. Found one that specifically specified less than 400HP. We a pushing around 590 at the block so that does limit things.

There was a post here a while back about a water pump pulley exploding.

I’m surprised you didn’t hear a bunch of banging and clanging when it let go. I’m guessing the radiator was punctured.

I’m surprised you didn’t hear a bunch of banging and clanging when it let go. I’m guessing the radiator was punctured.
I did hear some noise. I thought I had run over some road junk. Rad survived. The clutch fan took the brunt of the damage. Need to replace it. Just lucky no other damage due to the pulley letting go.

That’s good that the radiator is OK. That would be a big expense to replace.

I heard a kaching, and saw something run off to the left, I thought I ran over something. All of a sudden, lights all over the dash, 40 mph and no brakes. The crank pulley disassembled itself on my 454 dually and ran away a couple hundred feet. Since the truck has a mono belt, and the ps pump supplies the hydro brakes, I had no brakes and no power steering.
I managed thru luck to not kill anybody. When I went to get a new pulley, I found that the one I had had been superceded for stronger material and reinforcement, at least twice.
Makes me wonder if somebody got killed by having their pulley bust up, and GM covered it up.

I was standing in the lanes chatting with some local promod type guys, and they started pushing the car up to get ready and go
I look down and there's the entire crank hub with all the different pulleys etc laying there
Had to go running and flapping my arms yelling lol

I was standing in the lanes chatting with some local promod type guys, and they started pushing the car up to get ready and go
I look down and there's the entire crank hub with all the different pulleys etc laying there
Had to go running and flapping my arms yelling lol
Wow. Oops, or parts failure? (I'm betting oops.)

Factory? Reproduction? Cast aluminum? What are we talkiing about here?

Mine was a factory piece.BBC.
The new one was thicker metal, and a 1/4" hub reinforcement welded in. Needed longer bolts

I posted this last year. Add me to the broken water pump pulley list. I took my road runner to the Goodguys car show at Pleasanton yesterday and won the Mopar muscle award. Had a great time but on the ride home cruising at 70 heading into a hard right turn on I 680 the steerining went dead and I'm heading for the divider, fortunately instinct and muscle kicked in and was able to wrestle the car to the right and finally get off the road. So I get settled down and popped the hood and see the belt is thrown, no problem I'll get the tools and reinstall untill I saw a ring around the water pump. I have never seen or heard of this so it took awhile to realize what I was seeing. see attached. The pulleys were purchased from Bouchillon and only have 2k miles on them. This incident has me rethinking the down side of the longer fast ratio pitman arm I have and the larger tires makes it hard to steer.

pulley with belt.jpg

20230828_202603.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back