• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hot start issue

When the car is reaching normal temp can you confirm that the choke plates are fully open? What carb #'s are you running? What base gaskets are you using? Is it able to hold a reasonable coolant temp?

Sounds like your on the right track. most likely related to heat issue and too rich! 125 is warm, try checking around manifold/carbs etc. All that aluminum soaks up heat & transfers to fuel. Note: mine was so hot the fuel in carbs basically boiled(vapor lock) not good! May look for thicker base gaskets to insolate carbs? When you adjusted idle mix did u do by ear/ feel or vacuum gauge? If gauge try for highest stable reading you can get then readjust idle speed. Note: my old combo would not idle below 1300rpm also race solid lifter. Pressure reading is weird, try n test separate to rule out pump, gauge, electric issues? Although driving on the street with that setup is cool it also can be a tuning challenge. Hope some of the info helps.

When the car is reaching normal temp can you confirm that the choke plates are fully open? What carb #'s are you running? What base gaskets are you using? Is it able to hold a reasonable coolant temp?
I'm running edelbrock 1407 carbs. Choke plates are fully open. Temps hover around 190 driving on town. I cant confirm the gaskets.

Sounds like your on the right track. most likely related to heat issue and too rich! 125 is warm, try checking around manifold/carbs etc. All that aluminum soaks up heat & transfers to fuel. Note: mine was so hot the fuel in carbs basically boiled(vapor lock) not good! May look for thicker base gaskets to insolate carbs? When you adjusted idle mix did u do by ear/ feel or vacuum gauge? If gauge try for highest stable reading you can get then readjust idle speed. Note: my old combo would not idle below 1300rpm also race solid lifter. Pressure reading is weird, try n test separate to rule out pump, gauge, electric issues? Although driving on the street with that setup is cool it also can be a tuning challenge. Hope some of the info helps.
I checked idle mixture by ear along with a vacuum gauge. I'm down for a tuning challenge. It keeps me occupied in the garage, and the payoff will be awesome!!!

Okay. Here’s the question nobody asked. Are you running an standard mechanical fuel pump or an electric fuel pump. Sometimes electric fuel pumps will need fuel pump controllers. They help with the fuel pump over working and fuel boiling issues. Just a thought there.

Okay. Here’s the question nobody asked. Are you running an standard mechanical fuel pump or an electric fuel pump. Sometimes electric fuel pumps will need fuel pump controllers. They help with the fuel pump over working and fuel boiling issues. Just a thought there.

Electric fuel pump.

When the gauge reads zero does it have pump shot? You could pull a metering rod. Then stick a tooth pick in the hole and see if it gets wet. If it does there is fuel in the bowl. If so that should be enough to make it at least spit. If not there is a fuel delivery problem. What ignition system? What is the reluctor to pick-up coil clearance? Should be .008' to .010". Just went thru this with a friends Coronet R/T. Coil had weak spark hot. The reluctor gap was .060". Reset the gap, new coil. Haven't had an issue since. Is the ignition wired to provide 12 volts to the box in crank and run? or run only? The 1407's may be 1 step rich but that shouldn't be causing your issue. They come 113P/107S. I'd go down to 110P/104S for the street. Cross rams and duel 1407's usually start in one revolution hot.
Doug

After shutting off a hot motor, the heat can expand the gas in the carbs and spill it over into the manifold. My 66 Plymouth 383 came with insulation between the intake and valley pan.

When the gauge reads zero does it have pump shot? You could pull a metering rod. Then stick a tooth pick in the hole and see if it gets wet. If it does there is fuel in the bowl. If so that should be enough to make it at least spit. If not there is a fuel delivery problem. What ignition system? What is the reluctor to pick-up coil clearance? Should be .008' to .010". Just went thru this with a friends Coronet R/T. Coil had weak spark hot. The reluctor gap was .060". Reset the gap, new coil. Haven't had an issue since. Is the ignition wired to provide 12 volts to the box in crank and run? or run only? The 1407's may be 1 step rich but that shouldn't be causing your issue. They come 113P/107S. I'd go down to 110P/104S for the street. Cross rams and duel 1407's usually start in one revolution hot.
Doug
Thanks do
When it’s hot does it surge?

No. Runs great when fully warmed up.

Doug
Thanks Doug. Ignition is an MSD Digital-7 box and HVC-II coil. A lot of other good suggestions in this post. Due to time constraints, I will likely not be able to dig into it until next weekend.

External. Aeromotive pump.
Okay so if you do a bit of research, Aeromotive recommends their fuel pump controllers with their external fuel pumps. Their pumps tend to heat up and boil the fuel. Hot Rod mag did a full article on this.

Okay so if you do a bit of research, Aeromotive recommends their fuel pump controllers with their external fuel pumps. Their pumps tend to heat up and boil the fuel. Hot Rod mag did a full article on this.
Thanks. I will look for that article.

They are pretty thin...maybe 1/16th or 1/8th.
Can't hurt to add a phenolic heat spacer or at least more gaskets. I added a second gasket when I was having carb percolating problems after shut down.

Auto Transport Service
Back