• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many wires to coil.

gtxrt

Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
I took the Chrysler elec dist out and put in a different dis with a pertronix unit. there was the power red wire going to postive of the coil and then a another wire coming out of the harness can't see where it is coming from but have been spliced into. but it has no power when the key is on. when I hook it up the voltage goes from 9 down to 5 on the positive of the coil. the red wire from the pertronix I have going to 12 volts. The car runs well with the wire unhooked. when I ran it hooked it seemed like the idle might not have been as good. thinking it might be coming from the ballast resistor. should I leave it off ?

Call Pertronix.
I think they may be still in La Verne California
next to Race Track.
They have always bent over backwards to
help me.
I really like their stuff on Street Cars that do not go much over 5000 RPMs

the wire has to be the resistor wire. the question is should i run the wire to the coil or leave it off. yes i will call pertronix.

Did you bypass the ballast resistor? Only need 2 wires on positive side of coil the one from the ballast and positive from petronix then negative to negative on coil need the proper voltage coil and bypass BR so you have full voltage at coil

Which unit do you have? I have the petronix 1 and use there1.5 volt coil

where the original wires you have go

IMG_3656.png

Which unit do you have? I have the petronix 1 and use there1.5 volt coil
i have the pertronix two with 1.5 coil. i did by pass the BR just wanted to make sure i didn't hurt the coil with full power.

Just don’t leave ignition on and car not running. Yes you want full voltage to coil

Auto Transport Service
Back