• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much lift will the 383 allow?

I personally would say any 600 would be too small, but I could be very wrong ! I have since removed the avs 800 and put on the holley street avenger 770 from my 340 dart, really woke that 383 up. Runs very strong. No matter what I did I could not get that avs to work for me. Always stumbled and had absolutely no guts at WOT ...

Only way to know piston to valve clearance for sure, is to check it. Stock rockers are listed as being 1.5 to 1, but usually are a little less. Just like the 10 to 1 C/Ratio motors were closer to an actual 9 to 1. My 440 with .010 below deck flat tops, Eddy heads, and a Lunati roller cam at .585 lift still had .080" piston to valve clearance. Pistons have small eyebrow type valve reliefs, like the six pack piston had. Any cam of moderate duration and below .500" lift should be OK.

Get XE268 cam and be done with it. Make sure your degree it in.

I know several people have advance it 2 degrees more in addition to the 4 degrees ground in for a total of 6 degrees. Easy way to build cylinder pressure if you have less than 9:1 compression.

I have a XE274 cam in a 383 but I have 3.73 gear, 11" converter that stall out at 2400rpm, 9.1:1 compression and a 670 cfm carb with 4 corner idle control.

See guys,bigger is not always better, especially when ur talking mainly street engines. Low end torque is what you always need to look for. Maybe 'lewtot' will chime in again on that. Most street engines hardly ever go above 5000rpm.

Auto Transport Service
Back