• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if my torqueflite transmission is numbers matching

JOMIDABR

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a '68 Dodge Coronet R/T. Found the date stamp on the transmission of 9-14-67, and the following# 25364309. I was told the trans was numbers matching and trying to verify. Is this a valid # to verify/decode. If not, where should I be looking??

the correct number for the Automatic is 2801541 for 68' R/T thru april of 68'. The number you have doesn't match any transmission numbers. I would clean it more, and look again. Seven numerical digits, not eight. Look for PK2801541 for example. Drivers side along the case above the oil pan, under the shifter shaft.

I appreciate the reply. will get under it tomorrow and check. Thank you.

In 1968 your transmission should me stamped with the partial vin # at the top of the mounting flange, near the top of the engine, where the oil pressure switch is. Here is a pic of my numbers matching 68 GTS 383 727. The vin stamp for the engine should be opposite it as seen in the pic.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 471
Thanks for your help. Is this picture taken from the underside? Or is taken from the back of the engine/firewall down??

that picture is looking down on the driver side. That number is the VIN#. As said earlier, look at the part number. You could have the correct transmission, but not the original to the car. The vin will show if it is original, the part number will clarify wether it is original to the make, model, and engine size.

coronet engine sn.jpgcoronet engine sn.jpg

Found the engine s/n at this location by the oil pressure switch but nothing on the trans. do you think this would indicate that the trans is not numbers matching? Is it possible that the vin stamp on the trans is in another location? This engine serial# does match my vin. I going to take another look from underneath where Monaco66coupe suggested. Thanks for your help.

As I said that is a good vin#, take a wire brush on the main case of the transmission on the vertical surface below the kickdown and shifter shaft,driver side above the oil pan. The number will be there. at least you will know what the transmission came from.

Thanks Monaco. I'm going to give it another look later this week. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Carnut, thanks, very helpful.

Found this series of numbers on the trans

trans.jpgnot sure what these numbers are. Any idea?? Appears to be 72 3410433-3

I checked a couple places for the stamp number you listed. Can't fin a transmission with that number from 1960-1981
Looking at your pic of numbers, paint between engine and tranny doesn't add up.. Something has been out of the car for sure.

As Monaco.. Said look for that number starting with PK..

Here's a site..
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=71
Keep looking though you never know

Here's another one, more complete

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

I should also say I have heard of people selling vehicles with numbers matching but using a play on words. The numbers match that year of car but not that specific car..

Thanks xp29h, I do know that the engine and trans were rebuilt in 2007. The previous owner had given me pictures from the shop that did the restoration. I was told that the engine and trans were numbers matching. I've been able to confirm the engine, but not the trans as of yet. I will keep looking for the number beginning with pk. Thanks for your help and the website links. I appreciate it.

Hey Mike I have a 68 R/T Convert too. It's an early car with SPD or scheduled production date of 911 / Sept 11, 1967. My vin is exactly like the picture 68 Chicken posted above. Later ones are where monoco66 says

What is the SPD for your car?

Not sure on the SPD. I will check, however, I'm pretty sure it is a later date. I think it is where Monaco66 said it is, but I can't get a good look at it. I tried sliding my cell phone up in there over the weekend to take some pictures of areas that I cannot see, but came up empty. I'm going to borrow a camera on a wire from a friend of mind to get a better look. Thanks again.

Found the Spd...9/7/68. Found a nice picture of where the part# is thanks to Carnut suggesting Andy440.com which confirms what Monaco 66 said. Thanks all.

Mine is a 1968 Coronet 500. Here is the number I found on the 727. Help decode please.

20240619_103421.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back