• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was transporting my 67 Satellite and managed to puncture the newer steel gas tank. Can I repair or need to replace?

Here is a link to Evan Fischer facebook.

Plus most of us dummies pull tanks for some reason while they are 1/2 full of fuel.
Yours mabey has 3 gallons left :thumbsup:

Thanks all! I went ahead and ordered one. $170 shipped from spectra. It was the comment about having to check it on one knee constantly that did me in because I just knew that was going to be me all the time.

I haven’t dropped a gas tank in a while and never on my 67 satellite (previous owner did it). Any work instructions available that you all know of or maybe a video? Having a bit of trouble finding one on YouTube

You have 2 J bolts pretty easy to drop the tank. The harder part will be the filler neck and grommet. Not sure if you ordered a new one but you may want to order a filler neck grommet as well. That really depends on how old your old one is.

You have 2 J bolts pretty easy to drop the tank. The harder part will be the filler neck and grommet. Not sure if you ordered a new one but you may want to order a filler neck grommet as well. That really depends on how old your old one is.

[/URL]
Got it! Thanks. I was hoping maybe the new tank came with one. The tank that’s damaged is pretty clean but who knows until I get it out. I was thinking of having new straps on hand too and maybe a fuel sending unit just in case. Weird that I can buy a grommet on Rockauto with the tank

That neck grommet is a royal PITA to install.

Straps rarely rust out or go bad.

J bolts OTOH...

Go easy on them.
There's a LOT of threads for the nuts to come off.
They are also exposed to road grime and debris.
Real easy to heat them up.
Clean the threads real good and use lube.
I've had to run them a few 16ths and then back and forth.

I bought a tank for my 67 a while back and it came with new straps. I bought the wrong j-bolts the first time. First picture here on the bottom right of the tank is the ground strap you might want to get a new one of those too. But hopefully you don't break your other one.

SAM_5764.JPG
SAM_5766.JPG
SAM_5767.JPG

My wagon tank had a hole in the bottom, bought the Tanks Inc. sending unit block off kit, cut the hole out to the size of the sending unit, bolted on, done.
No leaks in years.

Just one strap on a 67. Pretty simple ceremony.

Fixing leaks.
Fly friend’s father had purchased a new 65 Cheverlot. There is a river between the two farms. When the river wasn't too high you could use the rock crossing/ford. My friend took the short cut, heard a clang in the ford. Came to our yard, had a leak in the tank. Panicked.
Dad said don’t worry. Pulled the car in over the pit and had a look.
Went into the house, came out with a bar of soap and a small piece of tanned Elk hide. Rubbed the soap on the tank and elk hide. Screwed it to the tank, and said it will work. Car was traded in about 8 years later, never leaked and his Dad never knew.

if you buy a tank, make sure to get one with the longer / correct vent tube on it

Like so

Amazon.com

Straps rarely rust out or go bad.

J bolts OTOH...

Go easy on them.
There's a LOT of threads for the nuts to come off.
They are also exposed to road grime and debris.
Real easy to heat them up.
Clean the threads real good and use lube.
I've had to run them a few 16ths and then back and forth.

Any idea how much of pain it’ll be to try and upgrade my standard satellite gas cap to the flip cap on the GTX models? I found one on vans auto (below) but can’t tell if it comes with the necessary seals. Also have no idea how it gets installed. I assume I’ll need to make a few new holes in the body and remove the filler neck completely?

Flip Top Gas Cap 1967 GTX, 1967 - 1968 Barracuda, 1968 Charger

IMG_9104.jpeg

Any idea how much of pain it’ll be to try and upgrade my standard satellite gas cap to the flip cap on the GTX models? I found one on vans auto (below) but can’t tell if it comes with the necessary seals. Also have no idea how it gets installed. I assume I’ll need to make a few new holes in the body and remove the filler neck completely?

Flip Top Gas Cap 1967 GTX, 1967 - 1968 Barracuda, 1968 Charger

View attachment 1691997

I believe Megaparts sells a good, complete kit and also individual parts.

I only needed a few parts to make mine functional.

Back then they also had the best pricing.

I believe Megaparts sells a good, complete kit and also individual parts.

I only needed a few parts to make mine functional.

Back then they also had the best pricing.

Thanks! If my current seals are like new on my regular satellite gas cap any reason I can’t just reuse those and bolt the flip cap on? Or is it not really a bolt on when it comes to using the same seals that are already there?

Mega parts about $300 for parts, I'm not sure about seals. Original owner put on just the cap and wrecked the paint gas cap back.

Flip cap takes two seals.

I should’ve asked earlier but is there any reason I can’t use my old vent line with the new tank? Or do I need to order a new large and small?
Most of the time that stuff is hard and brittle but if yours was recent then it may be re usable.

As beepbeepRR said if old ones hard as a rock. To make disassembly easier if you get PPG vinyl conditioner soak a rag with it and wrap it around elbows. Might take a day or two and resoaking rags. Grocery store product Lestoil may work also. Used to soak slot car foam tires in Lestoil to soften tires, took a few days. Using old hard hoses is PENNY wise DOLLAR foolish.

Auto Transport Service
Back