• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you were to leave the USA what country would you emigrate to?

All these votes for Scotland...summer lasts about a week, it rains a lot, the roads are not really suitable for a classic Mopar (narrow and twisty), and petrol prices are UK prices (i.e. very expensive).
The average maximum summer temperature is 63°F, if it gets to 80 then everyone lies down and thinks they're dying.
The last time I was in Edinburgh for New Year it was 1.4°F, which was pretty cold.
Agreed it's a beautiful place and I love the Highlands, but as a place to live as a Mopar owner - no thanks.
Agree.
56 degrees north latitude is just too dang far north.

All these votes for Scotland...summer lasts about a week, it rains a lot, the roads are not really suitable for a classic Mopar (narrow and twisty), and petrol prices are UK prices (i.e. very expensive).
The average maximum summer temperature is 63°F, if it gets to 80 then everyone lies down and thinks they're dying.
The last time I was in Edinburgh for New Year it was 1.4°F, which was pretty cold.
Agreed it's a beautiful place and I love the Highlands, but as a place to live as a Mopar owner - no thanks.
Aye, but the haggis with 'neeps and tatties is worth the trip alone...especially when it's washed down with some fine single malt Scotch. :drinks:

My wife and I were married in Scotland - and we had many vacations there from our base in smoggy London. :)

The Queen and Queen Mother even attended my 30th birthday at the Royal Highland Games in Braemar. :thumbsup: (I made them sit a few rows away) :rolleyes:

this is an easy one....... I'd squat in @dadsbee 's garage
With your skills combined with Wayne's, and in his shop....you two could start knocking out Superbird specialty parts as per OE spec and materials.
That would be a win for the hobby. :thumbsup:

Aye, but the haggis with 'neeps and tatties is worth the trip alone...especially when it's washed down with some fine single malt Scotch. :drinks:

My wife and I were married in Scotland - and we had many vacations there from our base in smoggy London. :)

The Queen and Queen Mother even attended my 30th birthday at the Royal Highland Games in Braemar. :thumbsup: (I made them sit a few rows away) :rolleyes:
"Vacations" is the key word. Great place for a holiday, live there or somewhere very similar for 25 years and you might yearn for sunny warm weather all year around. Throw in a bit of arthritis and those cold, damp 10 months of the year and your bones might start saying something too.

I recently found out my father's family is Scottish, not Irish as most of the family thought. That said, it explains my desire to own a kilt. I still have no desire to live there. Give me the good ole USA.
I could easily live in or near the Smoky Mountains as a home base and travel in my RV and never see all of the country.

But to the point, Canada.

20240906_144458.jpg

I recently found out my father's family is Scottish, not Irish as most of the family thought. That said, it explains my desire to own a kilt. I still have no desire to live there. Give me the good ole USA.
I could easily live in or near the Smoky Mountains as a home base and travel in my RV and never see all of the country.

I'll bring you a bag pipe to Carlisle if you promise to wear the kilt :popcorn2:

We knew we were both but also thought more Irish, and turns out we're more Scottish.

Explains my inventiveness, and ease around machinery.

Still like to get drunk and fight with myself, though.

Scotland would be good, Vietnam would be good with me and maybe even Taiwan…have a buddy there who does same work I do but with China Airlines. Lives on the beach and lives well. Like his setup a lot.

Twisty roads are fine. Cold and rain are not. I hate the cold. Rain and overcast skies are depressing. I’d want to go where the weather is similar to here and the car culture is about the same. Why not Australia or New Zealand?

Try to keep it non-political guys. I think we can say another country is nice without bringing politics into it.

I’ve been to Scotland, it was nice but wouldn’t want to live there.
The positives:
The food is awesome, which is bizarre considering their proximity to Britain and what they call food. Haggis is actually pretty good, and those people really know how to cook salmon.
The people are generally fitter than those in Canada and the U.S. Fat people are noticeable by their absence, and it seemed like there was a huge gymn or fitness center on every corner.
They are generally nice, decent, happy people.
The roads are narrow and windy. There’s a reason that most drive tiny cars. But overall I found them to be excellent drivers.
You have no idea how much scotch actually exists until you go there. There are literal MOUNTAINS of barrels of scotch that are over a hundred yards long. There are countless mountains of barrels, aging gracefully.
They have a great transportation system. We took their excellent train system all over.
The men are real men, for the most part. We didn’t see any man buns or man purses there, and even though the kilt is part of their costume, I dare you to tease one of them about it. Go ahead, I dare you.
The negatives, at least to me:
I never saw so many young, apparently single mothers in my life. Linda and I would be waiting for a bus and everyone else would be a sad looking teenage girl pushing a baby carriage. It was very noticeable.
You would think scotch would be cheap there. Nope; a three hundred dollar bottle of scotch here is pretty much a three hundred dollar bottle of scotch there. Surprised the hell out of me.
The famous Scottish accent. It varies from region to region, and can even vary from town to town. These accents cover the gamut from a soft sing song from a red head that gives you an enormous erection to some unintelligible mumbo jumbo that could just as well be Chinese.
In the train toilets there is a sign that says not to flush the toilet while stopped in the station. That is because the toilet dumps directly on the ground between the tracks. When you are at the station waiting for the train do not look down. There is a solid band of ****, tampons and toilet paper between the rails because people flush anyway.
The country is breathtakingly beautiful. But there was lots of garbage in the cities because there were no public garbage cans. They worry about terrorists putting bombs in them so when you are waiting for your bus chip bags and other wrappers swirl around you because there is no convenient place to dispose of them.

But we enjoyed our time there. Like I said, it is a beautiful country. The north part is very much like here, in sub arctic Canada.

I like Canada. It’s not perfect, and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. But it has a lot going for it. Come up here to the sub arctic; it’s a lot like Scotland.

Based mostly on the 37 countries I have visited. money no object: 1. Australia, 2. France 3. Monaco

The furthest I'm willing to go is Montana or Wyoming.
I've been around the world, seen a bunch, but we have all the best right here in the U.S.

Auto Transport Service
Back