• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ill Fitting Door Glass on 69 GTX

Everbody just take a deep breath, okay? My GTX is currently at a professional glass shop getting it's door glass replaced. I'll report how it went when I get my car back. But I will say the shop owner noticed the horizontal curve right off the bat.ECS is welcome to have my old glass back, if they want to pay shipment and reimburse me something toward the replacements. For the record, I ordered the replacements via email on Dec 6, 2013 and received them very late Dec or early Jan. I don't have the exact date, but it was sometime between the 12/9/13 invoice date and my 1/6/14 email to them verifying receipt. In any case it was not six months ago as they said (half-truths & lies?). Guess they're still under warranty, right?My purpose in starting this thread was to find out whether the door glass should be flat in the horizontal plane. I heard from several people who had cars still with their original glass that it was. The purpose of my second posting (on another site) was to respond to another poster's questions and relay my experience with the out-of-spec glass and to advise people to be diligent if they ordered from the same supplier. You can take photos of the edges of the glass all day long and probably not see the defects, as they are in the middle of the panes. When I get my car and the old glass back (out of the car), I'll try to take some photos to show the problem.

Everbody just take a deep breath, okay? My GTX is currently at a professional glass shop getting it's door glass replaced. I'll report how it went when I get my car back. But I will say the shop owner noticed the horizontal curve right off the bat.ECS is welcome to have my old glass back, if they want to pay shipment and reimburse me something toward the replacements. For the record, I ordered the replacements via email on Dec 6, 2013 and received them very late Dec or early Jan. I don't have the exact date, but it was sometime between the 12/9/13 invoice date and my 1/6/14 email to them verifying receipt. In any case it was not six months ago as they said (half-truths & lies?). Guess they're still under warranty, right?My purpose in starting this thread was to find out whether the door glass should be flat in the horizontal plane. I heard from several people who had cars still with their original glass that it was. The purpose of my second posting (on another site) was to respond to another poster's questions and relay my experience with the out-of-spec glass and to advise people to be diligent if they ordered from the same supplier. You can take photos of the edges of the glass all day long and probably not see the defects, as they are in the middle of the panes. When I get my car and the old glass back (out of the car), I'll try to take some photos to show the problem.

That makes absolutely no sense. If the defect was in the middle of the pane as you say, wouldn't the glass have not sat flat on the edges like the pictures showed? Also, if there were defects in the middle, that would have thrown off the ends where the edges of the glass were making it either stick up or not lay flat against the other glass. The pictures show that the sat identical on top of each other.

In any case it was not six months ago as they said (half-truths & lies?). Guess they're still under warranty, right?My purpose in starting this thread was to find out whether the door glass should be flat in the horizontal plane. I heard from several people who had cars still with their original glass that it was. The purpose of my second posting (on another site) was to respond to another poster's questions and relay my experience with the out-of-spec glass and to advise people to be diligent if they ordered from the same supplier.

Please excuse my incorrect question pertaining to when you re-ordered your glass. I never said you ordered it six months ago, I simply assumed you might have done so when you started posting these complaints last August. I have 3 different divisions of this Company and my Employees do not tell me every transaction that takes place with the hundreds of Customers that we service. I apologize for assuming this occurred six months ago if in fact you received these replacements within the last few weeks.

Regarding "half-truths & lies" Richard, you continue to thwart responsibility for YOUR actions! In your quote above, you stated that you were "responding to another poster's questions and relay my experience with the out-of- spec glass" on another Site. That is a blatant lie Richard! YOU started the thread! You weren't responding to someone else! I linked the thread from the other site (below) to help refresh your memory. Just like you did on this Forum, it was YOU who started the thread to complain about the situation. You didn't have the decency to call and report this problem to us first. You waited 4 years and then proceeded to criticize our glass products & Warranties without even giving us a chance to respond to your complaints. You spit in our face and then expect the red carpet to be rolled out for you! Had you handled this ordeal with some class, you would have found our position to be much different. You might think twice before publicly slandering a Company for a situation that YOU created, by waiting 4 years to bring the topic to their attention!

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ds=+CaptainGTX&topic=&Search=true#Post7822706

Last edited:
First, I want to report that I got my 69 GTX back today from having its door glass replaced a second time (both times by professionals) with ECS supplied panes. The new replacements fit fine and I am satisfied with them.

With the old glass out I was able to verify the measurements that I first provided ECS on August 21, 2013 (the day after I started this thread) and take photos to support them. The passenger side window as measured from the inside is bowed out near the middle-rear 0.5 cm (slightly over 3/16”). Given the thickness of the glass is about 0.6 cm, it was like trying to roll up and down two glass thicknesses in the channel. The driver side glass is bowed about half as much (0.3 cm). Both measurements are on the horizontal plane which is supposed to be straight. I am a retired mechanical engineer but still know how to take measurements. Two photos of the passenger glass are shown.

What started as a fairly pleasant exchange of private emails with ECS has unfortunately devolved into something less. Along with another customer I have been accused by ECS of “half-truths and lies”. But since ECS has apologized for misrepresenting when I reordered and received replacement glass, I’ll apologize for forgetting that I made the same posting on moparts.com (one day later) as I did on B-Bodies. The “secondary” posting I was referring to was also on moparts.com where a thread entitled “mopar logo windshields” was started by another party on Feb 13. I was the ninth poster and contributed my experiences only after ECS’s name was brought up and another poster recounted his problems with their glass. Anyone who wants to read the entire thread should have no problem finding it.

While I don’t like the idea of being out $549 ($349 for the glass and $200 labor to install – first estimate was $700!) to replace my car’s door glass a second time, I acknowledge (as I have from the beginning) my failure to discover and inform ECS of the problem on a timely basis. On the other hand, ECS should not have shipped defective (yes, defective) glass in the first place. Since ECS complained about not having the old glass back to confirm my complaint, I’m willing to sell it back to them for a reasonable amount. Otherwise, I guess they will just have to keep denying my measurements and (now) photos.

P.S. I have no interest in continuing this conversation infinitum. Unless I hear from them privately, I consider this matter closed.

Attachments

• 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 398.jpg
    398.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
So you have the old set AND the new replacement set? How did the new replacement set compare to the old "defective" set? Shame you couldn't have done pictures like ECS did with laying them over the top of each other to show the deficiencies. Do you have any other pictures of the straight edge up against the glass?

Also, how long did it take the professional glass guy to install the new glass? Did he say he had any issues with it?

What started as a fairly pleasant exchange of private emails with ECS has unfortunately devolved into something less. ...........While I don’t like the idea of being out $549........I have no interest in continuing this conversation infinitum........

It was you who made this public Richard! Just to help you fully understand the situation, here are some facts that you continue to ignore. We did not just "discount" your replacement glass. We lost a few hundred dollars to replace it due to your warranty procrastination. We sold you the glass AT OUR COST. I paid to have the glass shipped to our facility. I paid my Employee to etch your replacement glass and absorbed the half day it took for him to do it. I paid approximately $25 in Chrysler royalties (per glass piece) for your replacements. I then paid my Shipping Department to pack and box your replacements to ship them. We only asked that you cover the cost of the glass and the shipping to get it to you.

Keep in mind that we did not have to provide any concessions for your replacement glass due to the warranty expiring...............AFTER 4 YEARS. Go buy a new car, wait 4 years for the warranty to run out and then report a problem that you claim existed from day one. See how far that will get you Richard! Let's see if they will sell you a new replacement car at their cost. Go to a Restaurant, order a meal and then wait 4 years to report that your meal was bad. See if they will give you a replacement meal Richard!

You say that things "devolved into something less" as if you had no culpability in how this turned out. You went on 2 forums to tell everyone about this ordeal before calling us to inquire about the situation. You admit this in your first post here when you assumed that we wouldn't honor a warranty that was years over due. I think we DID provide a warranty after the fact. An insincere "thanks" would have been appropriate instead of the ensuing slander that resulted.

Yes, it is a cradle or buffer that protects the glass from cracking and or acts as a gasket or pad to prevent rattling. It is where the pin goes through the track and the hole in the glass. Barney

First, I want to report that I got my 69 GTX back today from having its door glass replaced a second time (both times by professionals) with ECS supplied panes. The new replacements fit fine and I am satisfied with them.

With the old glass out I was able to verify the measurements that I first provided ECS on August 21, 2013 (the day after I started this thread) and take photos to support them. The passenger side window as measured from the inside is bowed out near the middle-rear 0.5 cm (slightly over 3/16”). Given the thickness of the glass is about 0.6 cm, it was like trying to roll up and down two glass thicknesses in the channel. The driver side glass is bowed about half as much (0.3 cm). Both measurements are on the horizontal plane which is supposed to be straight. I am a retired mechanical engineer but still know how to take measurements. Two photos of the passenger glass are shown.

>>edited for brevity<<

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, I can't tell where the bow is in those photos. Did they get stacked up against the new glass for comparison?

Thanks,
-=Photon440=-

200.00 to install, and you think it's ecs's problem? It's like anything else, if you are unable to install anything you buy, you take it to a professional who can install it and you pay them. If you ordered quarter panels for your car, and you can't seem to get them installed correctly, you end up going to a professional to get it done. Just because you were unable to get the glass installed and correctly adjusted doesn't make it the glass supplier's problem. People need to understand they can't always do everything themselves on their cars. At times some of us may need to have someone who knows more, and has more experience than we do, do some things on our cars. But, don't blame a supplier when you are unable to install something on your car. with good results. Why was your professional able to get it done, and you couldn't? Just looking at an issue like this from both sides. Apparently in the end, the glass was within specs to work, and install even if it was off just a bit.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject, the 70 b body vent window frame back that extends down nearly to the bottm of the door that the front of the door glass rides in,how does that adjustment work and what does it control.? you get to it from a hole in the bottomof the door

That adjustment has to do with the angle the window goes in at. Makes the top of the window go in towards the interior or out towards the door skin.

That adjustment has to do with the angle the window goes in at. Makes the top of the window go in towards the interior or out towards the door skin.
is the adjustment stud in the bottomof the door act as a cam when you turn it? does it move the track in and out?

no cam, but I think the adjustment is either back or forth.

what im trying to fix is the bottom of my vent window frame has about a 1/16 to1/8 gap between the rubber on the vent frame and the outside edge of the door where it sits in.in other words if it were to rain it would go down inside my door, and its that way on both doors and i can vouch for the trouble it is to install door windows and vent windows.

Hmmm.... any way you can put some butyl tape behind the rubber to build it up so it pushes it outward towards the door skin?

Hmmm.... any way you can put some butyl tape behind the rubber to build it up so it pushes it outward towards the door skin?
sounds like an idea.ill try that.thanx

what im trying to fix is the bottom of my vent window frame has about a 1/16 to1/8 gap between the rubber on the vent frame and the outside edge of the door where it sits in.in other words if it were to rain it would go down inside my door, and its that way on both doors and i can vouch for the trouble it is to install door windows and vent windows.
There is another adjustment for that problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back