• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ill Fitting Door Glass on 69 GTX

CaptainGTX

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought and installed a set of date coded door & quarter glass from ECS Automotive Concepts. I have never been able to adjust the door glass so it rolled up and down without exerting a lot of force and even using two hands (one on the glass) over concern of breaking the mechanism. Several people told me everything was just tight & would loosen over time. Well, it hasn't.

I was thinking today of finally turning it over to a pro to try his hand at fixing. I noticed both door glasses have bows in them that I'd never noticed before. With the windows in the up position, you can see that the glass contour doesn't follow the straight lines of the chrome strips on the cats whiskers. Laying a straight edge on the glass just above the chrome strip you can see that the glass tucks in at the very rear by a good 3/32". That seems to be forcing the glass against the whiskers several inches ahead. The passenger glass is the worse, but both door glasses have the bow.

I'm wondering if someone with a 69 B-body with original glass might lay a straight edge along the bottom of the door glass and tell me whether it's straight or not. I sold the old glass out of my car, so have nothing to compare it to right now. I'm sure it would be highly unlikely that ECS would stand behind their product this long after purchase, but if its truly out of spec I will try anyway. The glass cost $1036 then and probably hasn't gone down since.

Several years ago I bought and installed a set of date coded door & quarter glass from ECS Automotive Concepts. I have never been able to adjust the door glass so it rolled up and down without exerting a lot of force and even using two hands (one on the glass) over concern of breaking the mechanism. Several people told me everything was just tight & would loosen over time. Well, it hasn't.

I was thinking today of finally turning it over to a pro to try his hand at fixing. I noticed both door glasses have bows in them that I'd never noticed before. With the windows in the up position, you can see that the glass contour doesn't follow the straight lines of the chrome strips on the cats whiskers. Laying a straight edge on the glass just above the chrome strip you can see that the glass tucks in at the very rear by a good 3/32". That seems to be forcing the glass against the whiskers several inches ahead. The passenger glass is the worse, but both door glasses have the bow.

I'm wondering if someone with a 69 B-body with original glass might lay a straight edge along the bottom of the door glass and tell me whether it's straight or not. I sold the old glass out of my car, so have nothing to compare it to right now. I'm sure it would be highly unlikely that ECS would stand behind their product this long after purchase, but if its truly out of spec I will try anyway. The glass cost $1036 then and probably hasn't gone down since.

I checked my '69 Road Runner Passenger side door glass. I believe my glass is original from St. Louis Plant, January 1969, but it could have been replaced by a previous owner at some point in the past. Checking horizontally, bottom of glass, front to rear, no bow or curve exists. It is perfectly straight. Checking vertically at rear of door glass, a bow does exist. The window operates perfectly. If I understand your situation correctly, you have defective glass. Hope this helps, let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Was getting the glass in to the runners a tight fit when you did it?

It sounds like the glass is too long, but I just cannot imagine there being enough strength in the runners to force a bow across the length of the glass horizontally. Certainly a weird problem mate.

Several years ago I bought and installed ..........I'm sure it would be highly unlikely that ECS would stand behind their product this long after purchase........

We honor our Product Warranties 100%. As I stated in my email Richard, you waiting for 4 years to contact us about this issue does not allow us to contact our supplier for a legitimate Warranty exchange. They allow us a 90 day return, starting from the time that our Customer receives the glass. I'm not sure why it took 4 years for this problem to come to fruition but we have never offered a lifetime or unlimited warranty on our glass products. We will offer you a replacement set at our cost and provide the custom etchings free of charge if this helps. To eliminate any further confusion regarding the "contour" of our 1969 B Body Door Glass, below are pictures of an original piece of glass, laid on top of the reproduction replacement that ECS Automotive Concepts offers.

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

02.jpg

I was notified that this topic has been linked to another forum. Hopefully I can put a stop to the lies and half truths that continue to be posted. We made it perfectly clear to both Ernie Blumenthal and Richard Kaup that their actions voided their warranties. They both waited for MONTHS/YEARS after their purchases to contact us and report fitting problems. As illustrated in the pictures below, our glass is a perfect match to the original examples. We compare and inspect every piece of glass to guarantee that the shape is representative of the Factory originals. They do not get processed, placed into our inventory or get shipped to our Customers if they have any issues.

The only option we have when faced with a delayed complaint of this nature is to replace the glass at our cost. Our manufacturer provides a 3 month warranty for fit of the product. After that period, we can provide a replacement at our cost, also cover the incoming shipping costs and provide the custom etchings free of charge. Our warranty instructions are clearly printed on each shipping container.

I hope this helps to clear up the warranty inaccuracies that have been expressed. Most Companies would not provide anything after a Customer waits 10 months or 4 years to report a problem. We still cover as much as possible to remedy your guys inability to follow warranty instructions.

View attachment 135559

View attachment 135560

View attachment 135561

View attachment 135562

View attachment 135563

I challenge ECS to point out a single lie or half-truth in either of my postings regarding the glass I purchased from them. I understand (and have made it clear to them) my failure to report the problem in a timely manner made it difficult to achieve a satisfactory resolution to the problem. That does not change the fact, however, that the first door glass I received was badly out of spec in that one door glass was bowed by nearly the thickness of the glass. Consequently it interfered with the cat's whiskers and was difficult to roll up and down. The other door glass was also bowed but not as bad. Neither door glass was flat in the horizontal plane as I later found they would have come from the factory. Had ECS properly inspected their product not only at the glass edges but also in the middle, they would have found the descrepancies and hopefully not shipped them. So all I'm saying is that if you do order from ECS, you carefully inspect and if possible install the glass before their relatively short warranty window closes. Richard Kaup

The reality is many of us restoring cars gather up parts even before we are ready for them and this is why the problems are later discovered. I have several parts gathered for my car, I hope they all fit when I get around to it. At the end of the day the suppliers should at the very least exchange the item. Just my two cents.

The reality is many of us restoring cars gather up parts even before we are ready for them and this is why the problems are later discovered. I have several parts gathered for my car, I hope they all fit when I get around to it. At the end of the day the suppliers should at the very least exchange the item. Just my two cents.

Since we don't manufacture the glass, we have to honor the warranties that are provided to us by our Manufacturer. When these guys wait for months and years to report a problem, it eliminates our ability to go back to our Manufacturer for a Warranty claim. Glass is a difficult thing to install. I had one Customer who removed their original glass and ordered our replacements. He called back a couple weeks later and said it did not fit properly. He said he was going to buff his originals out and re-use them. He asked for a complete refund and we happily did as he asked. One week later he called to see if he could buy the glass back that he returned for a refund. When we asked him why, he said that he was having the same problem trying to re-install his original glass!

Here is an another example of the incorrect statements made about our glass. A gentleman named Ernie Blumenthal has also commented in the "other Forum" that our E Body glass doesn't fit properly. All I can do is show people a comparison of the original and what we offer. Hundreds of other Customers praise the glass products we provide. They get the same items that this VERY small minority continue to complain about. We match them with the originals and they are exactly the same.

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 529

I couple photos showing exactly what you have going on would do wonders as for other members being able to help you. If a roll-up window is binding on the upper outside, the bottom of the track typically needs to be kicked out some. If it's binding on the upper inside, then it likely needs to be brought in on the lower adjustment.

I found when I installed my glass I did not tighten the track mount points. Then as I rolled the windows up & down, I let it kinda settle in on it's own. Then comes the tweeking. You may get lucky and dial a window right in, or you may play with it for a couple hrs. Again, photos would be great.

I couple photos showing exactly what you have going on would do wonders as for other members being able to help you. If a roll-up window is binding on the upper outside, the bottom of the track typically needs to be kicked out some. If it's binding on the upper inside, then it likely needs to be brought in on the lower adjustment.

I found when I installed my glass I did not tighten the track mount points. Then as I rolled the windows up & down, I let it kinda settle in on it's own. Then comes the tweeking. You may get lucky and dial a window right in, or you may play with it for a couple hrs. Again, photos would be great.

I know when I pulled all of the door glass in my 69 charger to redo the rollers and grease everything up and put in new window fuzzies/cat whiskers it was a major pain! I think it took me something like 2-3 days to get everything done and even that was not close as I still had to fine tune it after the fact. If you really want to have fun, try adjusting all of the windows for a convertible! Mom's 70 chally vert had to have the windows adjusted due to leaks and I swore I would never do another one again. Now Dad has his 69 GTX vert and some small adjustments need to be done I think from age and wear.

I challenge ECS to point out a single lie or half-truth in either of my postings regarding the glass I purchased from them. Richard Kaup

I believe I already have! I can't prove a negative Richard. You continue to complain and have no proof whatsoever to support your accusations. You never returned your glass so how do you expect me to post pictures of it? We have EVERY original piece of B Body glass (from 1968-1971) that we use as a comparison for EVERY piece of glass that leaves our Facility. If there was ONE incorrect feature involving the curves, that piece of glass would NOT be shipped out. The first thing we do when our glass arrives is to check it for ANY damage or incorrect curves. Once it passes those quality control checks , we buff it and prep it in order to etch the custom date codes and logos. I can assure you that we did the exact same process with yours! I have shown pictorial proof of what we sell and you continue to offer nothing but your typed accusations.

Quick question Richard! This ordeal became a problem because your Warranty had long expired. You received your replacement set about six months ago.....right? I am sure that you must have installed it by now because there is no way a rational person would repeat the same mistake of letting the Warranty expire again. With that said, how did the replacement set fit?

Consequently it interfered with the cat's whiskers and was difficult to roll up and down.

This is going to sound like a dumb question but did you install new cat whiskers? If so, I had the same problem when I used my original glass in my 69 Charger with the new cat whiskers. Seems the new stuff is either thicker or a different material than the original stuff which causes it to drag more, hence, being tighter to roll up and down.

That does not change the fact, however, that the first door glass I received was badly out of spec in that one door glass was bowed by nearly the thickness of the glass. Consequently it interfered with the cat's whiskers and was difficult to roll up and down. The other door glass was also bowed but not as bad. Neither door glass was flat in the horizontal plane as I later found they would have come from the factory. Richard Kaup

Once again, here are comparisons of what we offer for B Body side glass. No smoke & mirrors, just the facts. Can anyone else see the "badly out of spec" and "bowed" characteristics that were described by Mr. Kaup? Notice how straight the "horizontal plane" is between our reproduction glass and the original example.

View attachment 135559

View attachment 135560

View attachment 135561

View attachment 135562

View attachment 135563

Last edited:
In all fairness to ECS, maybe Richard needs to have his door glass looked at by a Professional Installer. I know someone mentioned that everything has to be adjusted just right on these windows. I am thinking that if there is still an issue, it could be as simple as an adjustment, and ECS is catching the heat for that. I could not imagine that as many windows as ECS has probably sold, that if these windows were indeed defective, we would be hearing a lot more than from a few posters,of such issues. Nothing personal Richard, but if you are still having issues with your windows, maybe consider taking it to a good, reputable glass shop, and have them look at your windows. I'd bet there is a good chance the adjustments may be out of wack. I hope you get this issue handled, good luck!

I'm curious on how his new glass install went. Did it fix the problem or not?

This question is for ECS, do you sell the pad that the door glass for a 66 coronet sets in on top of the track? Barney

Hi Barney! We do not have the pads for the track. We specialize in providing Glass and the correct etched Date Codes & Logos. We are licensed by the Chrysler Corporation to provide this product line and service. Thanks!

Barney,

Are you talking about the black paper like thing that the glass sits in for the channel for the cranking mechanism?

i agree totally ! we gather, swap, trade parts buy at swap meets, very time consuming. parts are not cheap. hope this works out

Like these guys mentioned, I don't think a lot folks realize just how much attention and respect needs to be given to installing glass in the doors and quarter windows. I've installed 2 aftermarket quarter/door sets and a quarter set on three different rides. There's adjustments for up/down, in/out and fore/aft. Those adjustments not jiving with each other will cause issues, including tension up/down. On top of that, the door glass needs to be working with the settings of the glass behind it and to the front or.....again more issues.

With that being said, all the variables that can be changed also gives opportunity for some give as well. The last AMD quarter glass that I installed in my bird definitely had more issues than what's seen above. Curvature was off and the bottom edge where it rested on its track was noticeably different from 6 feet away. Installing it was not a matter of just trying to adjust in the quarter window. The door window had to be adjusted to meet up and fit well too. I spent almost a day lining them up..yes a day. All said and done, the fit is streamlined, no gaps, no tension and sits where it supposed to up or down.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pic's above, but I wouldn't anticipate the issue stemming from the glass construction. That looks very minor. I know how it goes when restoring a car, parts get ordered and they sit for a while, but 4 years? You tied your own hands as well as the vendors on that one. If you really want to see an aftermarket product that doesn't jive and typically requires some hefty modification to fit, buy yourself some aftermarket body panels.

Auto Transport Service
Back