• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing 440 lifters

koosh

Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
No experience doing this, but these are clapping enough to be embarrassing! Started with Lucas high zinc hotrod 10-40 oil, still noisy. Changed with Valvoline 20-50 Vr1, still noisy, installed Lucas Quiet lifter additive””, still noisy. Now considering Driven HR1 15-50? After researching here, and internet, it “appears” lifter removal can be done without intake removal? They come up thru the heads? Anyone have experience doing this?
Research has steered me towards Johnson flat tappet lifters? I ASSUME flat tappets are what is on there from factory?
Thanks in advance!

I would pull the intake.
It takes about 10 minutes.
Then you can check if they spin freely in there.

No experience doing this, but these are clapping enough to be embarrassing! Started with Lucas high zinc hotrod 10-40 oil, still noisy. Changed with Valvoline 20-50 Vr1, still noisy, installed Lucas Quiet lifter additive””, still noisy. Now considering Driven HR1 15-50? After researching here, and internet, it “appears” lifter removal can be done without intake removal? They come up thru the heads? Anyone have experience doing this?
Research has steered me towards Johnson flat tappet lifters? I ASSUME flat tappets are what is on there from factory?
Thanks in advance!
1. Listen to Don and remove the intake….but first…
2. First, remove valve covers and wiggle each rocker arm. Bump the motor over a little bit, wiggle rocker arms and repeat. I bet you have a worn/bent rocker arm or pushrod & you will be able to tell which one doing this.
3. For rockers, inspect for wear in contact areas
4. For pushrods, clean well and roll up n a mirror to inspect for vent pushrods

Post #5 and #6 :thumbsup:

The shortest route is not always the best route. Put some effort into mechanical diagnosis and proper installation procedure of new lifters. This is not something you want to take shortcuts on. Otherwise, you will be risking the chance of drastic lifter/cam failure and a whole lot more work.

There is a tool that grabs the lifter by the snap ring groove, and you can pull it out without removing the head. An older mechanic friend lent me the one he had, and it worked great to pull a noisy lifter. Snapon, maybe.

1. Listen to Don and remove the intake….but first…
2. First, remove valve covers and wiggle each rocker arm. Bump the motor over a little bit, wiggle rocker arms and repeat. I bet you have a worn/bent rocker arm or pushrod & you will be able to tell which one doing this.
3. For rockers, inspect for wear in contact areas
4. For pushrods, clean well and roll up n a mirror to inspect for vent pushrods
Ive done the wiggle check, all tight. If i could hear only 1or2, it would’ve probably showed up there. Sounds like they’re all loud to me.

If it is an old engine with varnish build up it can make removing the lifters difficult from the varnish on the lower end of the lifters.
I would pull the intake also so you can better inspect the cam lobes.

i have no idea how to check a cam lobe, or what to look for! lol

Does this engine have a CompCam? Some of their grinds have noisy ramps that you cannot quiet down.

There is a tool that grabs the lifter by the snap ring groove, and you can pull it out without removing the head. An older mechanic friend lent me the one he had, and it worked great to pull a noisy lifter. Snapon, maybe.
I have one.

You need it if there's a varnish build-up.

I'll have to look up the part number and post it if I find it.

Screenshot 2024-10-05 164913.jpg

This is the same one I have and it's on ebay right now.

I've had mine since the sixties so I would imagine that they're getting pretty rare, now.
Screenshot 2024-10-05 165410.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back