• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake and Carb question for 69 charger 440 R/T

RT Dreamin

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 charger R/T that has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake (7196) and a Carter C1 4967 S carb on it that I would like to replace. I have a stock hood and the stock dual snorkel air cleaner that I would like to keep on it. Currently the intake is too tall for the stock hood and air cleaner. What do you all recommend intake and carb wise for the 440 that I can use with my stock hood and dual snorkel? This is not a race car, just drive for pleasure and to car shows so don’t need the real high performance but do want steady and good performance, also like the idea of aluminum if possible. Thanks in advance!

I used a lowered air cleaner base on my 69 440.
Bought it on ebay.
20220104_172621.jpg

I think the Holley Street Dominator intake is lower and a good manifold.
Mike

From the Edelbrock website:
Performer: 4.8" tallest @ rear
Performer RPM: 5.8"tallest @ rear

There are many threads on this subject on this forum; a prudent use of the Search feature will reveal
pretty much all the answers you seek.
search box.png

I think the Holley Street Dominator intake is lower and a good manifold.
Mike
Thanks, I’ll look into this one. Haven’t really thought of Holley (possible a carb, but not for intake).

From the Edelbrock website:
Performer: 4.8" tallest @ rear
Performer RPM: 5.8"tallest @ rear

There are many threads on this subject on this forum; a prudent use of the Search feature will reveal
pretty much all the answers you seek.
View attachment 1675978
I have tried the search and surprisingly if I type “69 440 intake” in the search filed, it brings back vacuum lines or Vin decoding and a bunch of other stuff, thus the question. I’ll play with different combo’s and see if I have better luck.

The Holley Street Dominator is a GREAT manifold, from personal experience, however it is best suited on a modified engine. A dual-plane such as the Performer is preferable for your bone-stock engine.

Edelbrock CH4b is basically an aluminum version of the stock cast intake. Here is a link to a thread here on FBBO with some great info on the CH4B.
LINK

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
In reply to a similar question here...
SOLD - Edelbrock 440 Aluminum Intake
I compared a CH4B to an M1 intake. The 4B seems to be about 3/8" taller. The test wasn't exactly scientific as nothing was actually sitting on the engine. The intake that I am calling an M1 shows "Mopar" with a part number of P4532063 BB . I don't quite understand the M1 designation as it seems to have been used on different intakes.

In reply to a similar question here...
SOLD - Edelbrock 440 Aluminum Intake
I compared a CH4B to an M1 intake. The 4B seems to be about 3/8" taller. The test wasn't exactly scientific as nothing was actually sitting on the engine. The intake that I am calling an M1 shows "Mopar" with a part number of P4532063 BB . I don't quite understand the M1 designation as it seems to have been used on different intakes.
Very good info to know. The only M1 I knew of was the same one I installed on my 440 and it was a single plane and way taller. Didn't know they had that one.

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

I've used the Holley Street Dominator many times on mild 440's with great success, if it were my car I would use it and a Thunder AVS 800. Other than that an Edelbrock Performer intake although I consider it equal to a stock iron manifold but lighter. If you like Holley carbs the good old 750 vacuum secondary is an age old choice that still works well.

Ch4b had no problems on my 496 stroker clearing my C body flat hood with a factory air cleaner.Had no problems turning 6000rpm with it either. The Holley street dominator cleared as well but I opted for the bottom end of a dual plane on my heavy c body.
I think either would work well and the carb is up to you but I like the idea of the 800 avs.

I've used the Holley Street Dominator many times on mild 440's with great success, if it were my car I would use it and a Thunder AVS 800. Other than that an Edelbrock Performer intake although I consider it equal to a stock iron manifold but lighter. If you like Holley carbs the good old 750 vacuum secondary is an age old choice that still works well.
Thanks for the info, sounds like many have been saying the Street Dominator and the CH4B (which has also been mentioned). I’ll look into the Thunder AVS 800 or the 750 Holley mentioned. There is a Carter C1 4967 S on it now with a Performance RPM. I can’t seem to find anything about a 4967 to even know what I have. It was on the motor when I bought it.

Thanks for the info, sounds like many have been saying the Street Dominator and the CH4B (which has also been mentioned). I’ll look into the Thunder AVS 800 or the 750 Holley mentioned. There is a Carter C1 4967 S on it now with a Performance RPM. I can’t seem to find anything about a 4967 to even know what I have. It was on the motor when I bought it.
For a stock engine, you'd be better off with a dual-plane manifold, not the street dominator.

The RPM Performer is a great manifold. I got one to fit under a stock hood with a drop base air filter and thinner filter. For the heck if it, I also used a K&N open filtered top.

The 4967 would be originally for a 1971-440 with a 4-speed. I put a 1411 Edelbrock AVS on a 440 with the stock intake and it runs great. I took that same carb and put that on my 440 stroker and it runs great on that motor also.

The RPM Performer is a great manifold. I got one to fit under a stock hood with a drop base air filter and thinner filter. For the heck if it, I also used a K&N open filtered top.
I'm seeing a lot of these K & N filtered top filters these days. Do they have slightly better performance compared to a typical closed top?

Auto Transport Service
Back