• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a common leaking point for firm feel steering boxes?

Myasylum

Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
I've only had this box for about a year, and it worked great, then something blew. I thought it's was just a line, but the lines are dry, and it's just pouring out.
Hoping for a simple fix of course.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Possibly the O rings on the valve block... Could be the sector seal, could be the pitman shaft seal... Without seeing it we're only guessing.... Most leaks are pretty easy to resolve...

It I'd bad to drive without the power steering belt till I figure out what's going on? I realize I'll have no power steering for the time being.

It I'd bad to drive without the power steering belt till I figure out what's going on? I realize I'll have no power steering for the time being.
Depends on the pu,p and system. I know I have a federal or Chrysler trw pump (i don’t know how to tell the diff) on my 1970 and know that when I turn the car without the pump turning it will still return the fluid from the box to the pump when centering the wheel causing the fluid to overflow out the cap as it has no where to go. (It’s not pumping it back into the box when not turning)

Well right now it's just pumping into the ground, so?
It just pours out as soon as it goes in. Something blew. Making a lot of noise too.

Pours out of where. Specifics fella.. fittings, valve block, input or output shafts, pump?

Don't drive it without the belt. How much did that FF box cost?

Call Ff and ask them.

Ok... seems I jumped the gun a bit on this one. I had to let the headers cool down, and I took another look. Check the rubber hoses and they are good, however the metal line that goes into the power steering pump seems to be leaking... tightened it and still leaks, took it apart and no o-ring. I assume there should be a o-ring that goes in there?

Saginaw pump? Federal Pump? Both should have an inverted flare which doesn't need an O ring... Up to around 72 the steering box also uses inverted flare but starting around 73 they started using a SAE O ring style fitting...

1722907647734.png

Last edited:
It is a Saginaw pump, for a 72.
Wonder why it would just start leaking?
I suppose using any kind of Teflon tape would be bad?

Screenshot_20240805_203930_Chrome.jpg

Are you sure the steel line didn't crack/split? Was it tight?

Teflon is used on pipe thread which is tapered.. Straight threads don't benefit from Teflon tape...

It was tight. I loosened it and retightened and same leak.
Guess I could get a new hose from Napa or something. Not that expensive.
Better than a new gear box.

Last edited:
Just cause I'm not 100% up on 73 & later stuff I went to Rock Auto & started pulling up P/S hoses.

73 pump & gear both use O ring fittings

thumbnail_IMG_9413.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9414.jpg

72 is Inverted flare at both ends..

thumbnail_IMG_9415.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9416.jpg

So... If someone put a 73 Saginaw pump/discharge fitting on your car & you have a 72 hose.... It could potentially seal but suddenly start leaking...

Best option, take the hose out & look at the fitting on the pump to see if it looks like the inverted flare in the picture...

1722913681621.png

I've searched but couldn't find a decent shot of the O ring port fitting..

No clarity here, but my Stage 2 leaked. Stage 1 never did. FF sent a new one upon first phone call to reduce down time.

I seem to be chasing a string of leaks.
Fixes the line but does seem to be leaking from the box too. Is it possible to leak right where it attaches to the pitman arm ( I think it's called?)
The gear box itself seems dry, the rest of the car is wet though.

20240806_173156.jpg

Pitman shaft seal... Is the steering box a 72 & earlier? Or has it been swapped for a 73 & later? The pitman shaft diameter increased in 73.. So the part changed... But replacement is the same either way... Pull the Pitman arm off... Remove the snap ring... Put a large drain pan under the steering box... Start the engine & turn the steering to full lock... Both seals & the washer will usually pop right out... Find a suitable sized socket/piece of pipe the drive the new seals in... Install snap ring, Pitman arm, washer & nut...Fill with fluid.... Crack a beer..

Auto Transport Service
Back