• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a common leaking point for firm feel steering boxes?

Do you know about how long it takes to get the job done, and where to get the parts?
Yea... I took a picture with the car running. Not good. It just pours out! It's just irritating it's only a year old and the seals are shot.

VideoCapture_20240806-184412.jpg

First check your pitman shaft diameter to see what box you have...

Small (1-1/8") up to '72. Pitman shaft seal kit.... EDELMANN 8517
Large (1-1/4") '73+ Pitman shaft seal kit.... EDELMANN 8516

Take those part numbers & either hit Amazon... Or talk to your local parts supplier..

I can do the job easily in under an hour... Your results may vary....

I just called Firm Feel, I figure I may as well make the effort. I had to leave a message though. We'll see what they say, hopefully something positive.

Yes, they said unfortunately they are screaming busy, but they would back their work. However, it would take a month to rebuild it again. So my best bet would be to just get a new seal which they said they would send to me. The seal kit is $60.00. Thought that was pretty pricy for a seal.
They mentioned too, that since it just seemed to blow, it's possible it just popped out of place.

I'll have to take a look at it.

I assume driving it any amount of distance would burn up the pump and the gear box? I don't have much space where I live.

Yes, they said unfortunately they are screaming busy, but they would back their work. However, it would take a month to rebuild it again. So my best bet would be to just get a new seal which they said they would send to me. The seal kit is $60.00. Thought that was pretty pricy for a seal.
They mentioned too, that since it just seemed to blow, it's possible it just popped out of place.

I'll have to take a look at it.

I assume driving it any amount of distance would burn up the pump and the gear box? I don't have much space where I live.
I wouldn't drive it like that, Do you have AAA? Hagerty? Grundy? Any towing coverage? A friend with a car trailer? A friend with a lift? If not you need a better class of friends... :lol:

Yea, it amazes me how many people just assume you have a lift, or a 24 car garage like most of the YouTubers have. Not all of us have the means. I think the YouTube channels spoiled some of us.
The rest of us have a 1 car garage, with a slanted slopped driveway that can't simply, "just look under the car" without it being a 24 hour event.
Hell, some of don't have a garage at all. Maybe we are undeserving and shouldn't own cars at all? But?!? We do our best.

I didn't mean to suggest anyone shouldn't own a vintage car, if you have the interest/desire/passion to own one you damn well should... However owning a vintage car also means you meet a lot of people who also have a car hobby... often some of those folks are fortunate enough to have space & have invested in a lift to make their life easier...

I've let a couple dozen guys I know bring their car by & we've thrown it on the lift... Whether to just have a look or to preform a needed repair...

Trust me, I know how working in a one car garage is & I' had a sloped driveway... But rather than worry about that I looked for solutions... And right now in your situation asking a friend might be your best option...

Sorry, bad mood that day...

Well I just had a chance to look at this and I don't even see a snap ring in place! Nor do I feel a groove of any sort that it would fit into. Seal seems to be about 1/4' in.. Should I try to push it in a little further.
It doesn't seem to want to pop out either.
Thanks!

20240810_132103.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if Firm Feel used a seal like Ford use to have... Ford put an outer dust seal in after the snap ring... So you won't see a snap ring, just a metal & rubber seal... If that's the case, use a pick between the shaft & the metal portion of the seal to hook the seal & pop it out.. Then you should see a snap ring & the previously posted method works....

I just read something about that on a different form. That seems to be the case. I'll have to dig around with that tomorrow. I put the car away already. I didn't want to make things worse..
I did get that EDELMANN part too . Hopefully that will still be a good replacement part.

Last edited:
Well... I'm back. I did get the dust cover off, and the clip, and the washer behind that. However the seal didn't blow out. Why would it?
So tomorrow I'm going to try the drill and screw trick and try to pull it out.
Thing is... the old seal appears to have a metal ring around the rubber, so it's in there metal on metal. The new seal is just rubber.
It also appears the gear on the staft is larger the the shaft itself. The new rubber seal just slides over the gear onto the shaft and it retains it's shape?
Of course it seems I have some odd duck gear box, or maybe it's me, idk?
Thanks!

20240813_184718.jpg

Some of the manufacturers use a metal cased seal... The point where the seal contacts the shaft will be rubber... The screw method should work... The start it up and full lock method uses hydraulic pressure to pop the seal... You've probably almost run out of fluid....

I put new fluid in there.
How far is it safe to drill? 1/4" or just kind of a feel thing?

I put new fluid in there.
How far is it safe to drill? 1/4" or just kind of a feel thing?
Both of those apply.. What you don't want to feel is crunchy... The seal is 5/16 so 1/4 is safe.. Basically by the time your 1/8" in you'll be through the seal & into the open space... Stop before the next contact... There may be a second washer & there will be a second seal... Repeat as needed..

Ok after much fighting I got it out ! Looks like another dust cover though! I'll assume that stays there??
Seals out,, I'm happy!

20240814_175955.jpg

Last edited:
Both of those apply.. What you don't want to feel is crunchy... The seal is 5/16 so 1/4 is safe.. Basically by the time your 1/8" in you'll be through the seal & into the open space... Stop before the next contact... There may be a second washer & there will be a second seal... Repeat as needed..
Did you read the bold text? You want to see the lower bearing....

Yes I did. But the kit I purchased only gave me 1 seal, 1 dust cap, and 1 C-clip.
If I went any farther I would not have had parts to replace them with, so I went with what I had.
That C- clip can sure be a pain.
Anyway, I did get it done, and so far so good. At least if it leaks agian I know what I'm getting into.... and probably why.
Thanks for your help!!

Auto Transport Service
Back