• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this stripe factory original?

Car #4

Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
Is this a factory original stripe? I think it’s the only one I’ve ever seen. 74 Charger.

IMG_9003.jpeg

No, I've never ever seen one like it and the trunk deck lid spoiler doesn't look stock to me either.

Looks like a nice car though. I'm a fan of 3rd generation Chargers.

Is it painted on or a decal? If it’s a decal someone put some effort and money into making it so I would think there must be others around. But to answer your question, no, I don’t believe it’s factory.

Is it painted on or a decal? If it’s a decal someone put some effort and money into making it so I would think there must be others around. But to answer your question, no, I don’t believe it’s factory.

It’s a decal.

The wing, spoiler, and window louvers were not available stock in 73-74, and that stripe never was.

Well guys, I’ll come clean here, that’s my friend’s car. He says he’s only ever seen one other car with that stripe. He bought it new in August of 74. By chance he happened to go to dealership as the truck arrived and the car was unloaded. You’re right about the wing, it’s not original. But the chin spoiler, louvers and stripe are all original. Also he’s been told that those wheels never came on a 74 but they did in this one.

I wouldn't say it was common, but dealers did gussy-up cars to add profit and move inventory. Cars were also moved and traded between dealers. That doesn't make the added items "factory" (in the most accepted definition of the term).

Unless he has some solid documentation to prove this stuff is factory-installed equipment, the closest thing anyone will ever believe is that they are dealer ad-ons. That would still be a pretty neat history for the car.

He went in July to order a Challenger and couldn’t get one but the dealer had a Charger coming in so he bought that. These things are not dealer add ons. People can believe what they want, he knows what came in on the truck, he was there.

Well guys, I’ll come clean here, that’s my friend’s car. He says he’s only ever seen one other car with that stripe. He bought it new in August of 74. By chance he happened to go to dealership as the truck arrived and the car was unloaded. You’re right about the wing, it’s not original. But the chin spoiler, louvers and stripe are all original. Also he’s been told that those wheels never came on a 74 but they did in this one.
He should have the build sheet, Dealer order papers and other proof. Sales receipt?

He went in July to order a Challenger and couldn’t get one but the dealer had a Charger coming in so he bought that. These things are not dealer add ons. People can believe what they want, he knows what came in on the truck, he was there.

To be clear, just because it was on the truck this way does not mean that it was not modified by a dealer before arriving at the point of sale. I'm not going to say that I'm doubting his word on what he saw on the truck, just that his conclusion that this means everything was 100% factory assembled and is original is not the only, nor the most probable conclusion.

This stuff simply was not available off the factory assembly line in 1974.

I hear what you’re saying but mother Mopar did some odd things and I believe more so near the end of a model production run. I’ve heard of other cases where it seemed that the factory was using up leftover inventory as a model came to its conclusion. The e-body automatic shifter handle in 74 is a case in point. Perhaps that’s what was happening here. Either way, I think it’s a really cool stripe, has a bit of a 70s vibe, and it suits the car well.

Looks like it may have dual exhaust. Which engine did it come with?

One owner car. Nice!

Interesting. Something nobody's ever seen. Did the factory make a tape stripe that never made it into production, and decided to slap it on a car at the end run ? Maybe.

I hear what you’re saying but mother Mopar did some odd things and I believe more so near the end of a model production run. I’ve heard of other cases where it seemed that the factory was using up leftover inventory as a model came to its conclusion. The e-body automatic shifter handle in 74 is a case in point. Perhaps that’s what was happening here. Either way, I think it’s a really cool stripe, has a bit of a 70s vibe, and it suits the car well.

Well, it's pretty neat that he still has the car and has kept it up so well :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back