• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It is a bit toasty out there.

I once had to walk briskly about 3 blocks in downtown Hong Kong. I was so soaked with sweat it was like I just got out of a tub. I checked the stats. Average humidity in Hong Kong in July is 90%.

& the temps measured where there's acres of asphalt,
& or building skewing the numbers & reflecting the heat

our prognosticators here are usually of by 5*s-10*s or more higher
they measure most temps at the airport,
lots of tarmac absorbs heat like a Mo-fo & glass for reflection
sort of a normal practice in many states to measure it at an airport
why I have no idea
All true. But I have seen a post that at least six official records for heat for July 9 were set yesterday, including Needles (needless, just down the street) at 122.
And I've recorded 121 on my thermometer on the back porch, in the shade.

Lost house A/C yesterday at 2pm ugh. Had a box fan pointed at me all night. A/C guy showed up 3 pm got it running $650 thank you very much. Going to see what a new unit is going to cost. Unit is 26 years old and the first time I put that much in it.

Lost house A/C yesterday at 2pm ugh. Had a box fan pointed at me all night. A/C guy showed up 3 pm got it running $650 thank you very much. Going to see what a new unit is going to cost. Unit is 26 years old and the first time I put that much in it.
Sorry to hear that Fran.
A few years ago, my gf and I had houseguests (her family) over fourth of July weekend. On the third, our A/C literally blew up. We had to put the exterior part of the unit out with a fire extinguisher.
Our guests went home.
New A/C ran 5k.

**** always happens at the worst time just had our water conditioner go out and was leaking all over the place... Too old to rebuild so 3 weeks running straight through the well and $2,380 later I have a new system...

Spent the last two days rebuilding a rear axle housing for the RR, cutting-grinding-welding- I did all of it outside because I didnt want the mess inside or sparks flying around the new paint job. It was 102 yesterday and 105 today, had shade before noon but after that it was pretty cookin next to that white metal door! F618BD3C-147F-4EAC-83DC-AE56D6123B2A.jpeg

Good timing actually.
Next year they implement new refrigerant, it's slightly flammable, so apparently there's all sorts of sensors that can shut it down if it thinks it may have a leak and will require a nerd with a laptop to reset it.

This is a family story. My dad, a petroleum geologist from Oklahoma, married my mom, a Norwegian from Montana. To keep her cool he rigged a block of ice that melted over a towel draped over a fan. The cool water and evaporation made it toleratable in the Oklahoma heat. Pretty smart.

Good timing actually.
Next year they implement new refrigerant, it's slightly flammable, so apparently there's all sorts of sensors that can shut it down if it thinks it may have a leak and will require a nerd with a laptop to reset it.
My HVAC guy mentioned this too. He's getting me a price on a whole new system.

So now we have flammable refrigerant? WTF! It makes me wonder why they just don't use
ammonia for HVAC systems? They use it in all large scale cold storage warehouses and factories
because it's so efficient and cheap. It is poisonous if you gat a leak, but we have all sorts of
detectors nowadays.

88 degrees and moderately windy in Maui yesterday... heading back to the Midwest today.

3F191E9A-AA19-4121-BBBE-37FD50A8FC0A.jpeg

0A7FE48C-F7B2-4899-9431-4C875B57244D.jpeg

I once had to walk briskly about 3 blocks in downtown Hong Kong. I was so soaked with sweat it was like I just got out of a tub. I checked the stats. Average humidity in Hong Kong in July is 90%.
Just got back from there. It is still the same as that. 90+.

Zurich Switzerland next week. Temps much better but rain.

Thread revival.
119°f in the garage at the moment. Warmer in the sun, about the same in the shade. 6p.m.
It might drop into the high nineties tonight.

Auto Transport Service
Back