• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just weighed the Dodge.

Gunner1

Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
Took the dodge to the local Cat scale yesterday. With an empty trunk and running on fumes. She came up at 3430 even. With the tank topped off (20 gals) and my tool bag in the trunk it was 3600. It’s a two door Polara hard top. I. Only have a few more things to do then it’s off to my first passes in the old girl. I know a post cars lighter but how do you think it’s weight sits for a HT.

63? Don't they still share the same roof as a post, minus the post?

Yeah but I believe the chassis is stiffened to compensate for the lack of a B pillar.

Yeah but I believe the chassis is stiffened to compensate for the lack of a B pillar.
That's not too bad for a hardtop. Running with a 1/4 tank or even a half tank is good for some weight loss. A full tank is unnecessary weight unless you have traction problems.

Last edited:
There is no difference in the chassis between the H/T or a sedan. The sedan roof is larger and actually has large 4"-5" box section running upward from the wheel tub into the C pillar. Aside from the roof lack of door posts and the rear glass everything else is very similar. My bet is the sedan is not actually lighter in the same trim level. Obviously the 63-64 Dodge is 3" longer between the B pillar and C pillar. So thats 3" of roof, 1/4 panels and floor pan. The front fender, bumper, and grille assy of the 64 Dodge is far heavier as well.
Doug

The difference between the models in negligible.

Larry Shepherd and Mopar played games with the shipping
weights to make the cars fall in class right. Also to make the
cars fit a variety of classes optimally. This went on for a very long time/

I ran a 64 Max Wedge Belvedere (No Post) back them because I thought to roof was perhaps
slightly more aerodynamic.

B bodies vary all over the map from year to year. My loaded with options 70' Charger R/T S.E. with a sixpack weighs 4290 with a 1/4 tank of gas and me not in it.

Interesting. Our ‘68 Coronet, 440 with Tremec 5 speed. 1/2 tank, no people, and every inch covered in Dynamat. Heavy pig.

IMG_1695.jpeg

My 62 weighs 3250, (iron head 440/727) plus the exhaust system and driver....but it's got quite a bit of stock stuff missing, even though it's all steel, except the hood scoop.

My 64 Belvedere race car is around 3120 empty. 3350 with fuel and driver. Light windows and hood. Everything else is steel. It also has a mega block, 25 bar cage, Dana. My sons 62 Savoy 4dr race car is 3320 empty. Full mild steel cage. Light side windows. Every thing else is steel 400 block, heavy steel rear wheels, Dana.
Doug

My 64 Belvedere race car is around 3120 empty. 3350 with fuel and driver. Light windows and hood. Everything else is steel. It also has a mega block, 25 bar cage, Dana. My sons 62 Savoy 4dr race car is 3320 empty. Full mild steel cage. Light side windows. Every thing else is steel 400 block, heavy steel rear wheels, Dana.
Doug
I wonder what the actual difference in weight is, four door verses a two door, and hardtop verses a sedan.

I wonder what the actual difference in weight is, four door verses a two door, and hardtop verses a sedan.
Plain wrapper sedans are said to be anywhere between 20 and 40 Lbs lighter than all the other models. Not much, but at least a good start.

Plain wrapper sedans are said to be anywhere between 20 and 40 Lbs lighter than all the other models. Not much, but at least a good start.
I'm not sure I buy this. Maybe because they had less trim. But if you look at the amount of sheet metal. There is definately more mass. Though the rear window is probably slightly lighter on the sedan.
Doug

Back when they were New:

67 GTX Auto PS/PB no AC = 3740 ran 13.83 @ 102

69 Charger 500 AC PS/PB = 3885 ran 14.18 @ 99

Both when new at OCIR and empty
Really cannot remember how much gas = Long time ago!

My 62 Max Wedge was 200 lighter than my 64 Max Wedge
both zero options.

My 65 was 3941. 440/iron heads, a/c, 727, full interior, 1/2 tank of fuel. I was not in it.

I remember back in the '70s, living in Maryland, vehicle registration was normal like $20 a year. If you vehicle was over 3,800 lbs it was $30. I had to pay the $30 on my '64 Polara 500. I later owned a '67 Thunderbird and it had the $30 registration also.

I remember back in the '70s, living in Maryland, vehicle registration was normal like $20 a year. If you vehicle was over 3,800 lbs it was $30. I had to pay the $30 on my '64 Polara 500. I later owned a '67 Thunderbird and it had the $30 registration also.
I'd bet the 67 bird was over 4000. I had a 65 Galaxie with an FE that I know was over 4000.
Memory is shakey, but I weighed my A12 coupe at Riverside in the eighties, on their beam scale. Pretty sure it was right at 3700 without me in it. 440, cast iron exhaust, 727 and a Dana. Manual brakes and steering.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back