• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some advice for my stroker 383 build.

steveramone

Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
So far this site has been a great help with my ongoing restoration of my 1971 Dodge charger 500.

I have a 383 stroker that is being built into a 438 and my engine builder said the computer program is telling him a 650 cfm is a good carb but that seems small for an engine that is supposed to make around 400 at the wheel.

Just wondering what size of carb I should go with?

here is some info on the car.

Edelbrock dual plane manifold,Edlebrock heads, keith black pistons(forgot to ask for the compression on the pistons).

The info off my comp cam card.
Comp cam- valve adjustment intake- .000 exhaust .000

gross valve lift intake .484 exhaust .484

Duration @ .006 tappet lift intake 284 exhaust 291

valve timing @ .006 open close

intake 38 btdc 66
exhaust 78 bbdc 34
intake center line 104.0
duration @.050 intake 239 exhaust 246

lobe lift intake .3230 exhaust .3230
lobe separation 108

Going to be a weekend cruiser with some trips on the strip.

3 speed auto with 3.23 rear end but ill be going with lower gearing in the summer.

thanks for the help fellow Mopar nuts.

need to know compression , max rpm and a rough idea on camming to be accurate, but from the sounds of it a 650 would work well on the street, 750 for max performance

sounds a little small to me, I had a 650 on my 360. I think you should go with a 750 vacuum, then the engine can take as much as it needs.

need to know compression , max rpm and a rough idea on camming to be accurate, but from the sounds of it a 650 would work well on the street, 750 for max performance

ill try to get the compression ratio tomorrow but i think it would run on 91 octane.

sounds a little small to me, I had a 650 on my 360. I think you should go with a 750 vacuum, then the engine can take as much as it needs.

i had a 600 on it when it was a stock 383 so 650 deff seemed to small.

650 cfm

I had holley 650 on my original 383 in my Road Runner. The engine ran fine but it seem to me that it could do more. It seemed it would flat out around 4500 rpm it could have been the power valve. I end up getting rid of the holley 650 and bought an Edelbrock 750 AFB. The new Edlebrock brought the engine to life, definitely a night and day difference. I would suggest getting a large carb especially if you are going to change the gearing in the rear.

750cfm. I think you'll be a bit more than 400hp. Remember the 440 came 375hp factory with smaller cam and a lot worse heads than you'll be using! Modern ignition, bigger cam, way better heads and only two cubes smaller..... It'll out perform a factory HP 440 IMHO.

I've got almost the identical engine you are building. I have an Edlebrock #1407 carb on it, 750 cfm. It runs really strong, with excellent throttle response.

My 383 has a 440 crank with standard bore, so it is only 426CID. I have the RPM intake but have iron (906) heads on mine. CR is 9.6/1. With the aluminum heads you better be up around 10.5/1 or so. I've also got the 727 auto with 3.55 SG gears. Instant tire smoke when you want it.

Anyway, what this all means is, BIGGER carb (750) works great!! Good luck! :3gears:

Same here I got 727 but my rear are 3.23 SG will this work fine with my 383 stock upgraded to a stroker? Or would it be better to upgrade the rear gearing to 3.55.

Auto Transport Service
Back