• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnaflow system review

Scott Burton

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks, I thought a bit of info is in order for anyone thinking of the Magnaflow complete kit for b bodies.
I spent all day trying to install the system. It’s on there but not without a lot of cursing and modifying pipe.
This is an X pipe system and will not just bolt on a 4 speed car. The X lands right where the trans crossmember is. I ended up cutting the X out and with a few extra pipes supplied, I made a true dual exhaust. I’ve heard lots of comments about the head pipes not fitting HP manifolds but they fit perfectly. The hangers supplied didn’t work well either. I cut and modified these as well.
I have a 74 Charger 400, 4 speed and I chose this system because it was stainless steel pipe. TTI or Accurate would have been a better option if they offered stainless at a price that wouldn’t sink you.
To sum it up, you get what you pay for. Buyer beware if you’re looking for a Magnaflow system.
IMG_0889.jpeg

I like their mufflers and cats.

I wonder if it was designed for a 68-70, as most are, and would have had better fitment on those.

I like their mufflers and cats.

I wonder if it was designed for a 68-70, as most are, and would have had better fitment on those.
Possibly, but it lists as ‘68-‘74 B body so you’d like to think it’s somewhat ok for all models. Somewhat indeed.

Possibly, but it lists as ‘68-‘74 B body so you’d like to think it’s somewhat ok for all models. Somewhat indeed.
I like the way it sounds with the Magnaflows. Pretty quiet at idle but gets that deep growl when you get on it. I had two Cherry Bombs on before but that was a bit too obnoxious.
The tail pipes didn’t line up very well for the N42, machine gun tips either.

Always had good luck with Magnaflow. Had a full kit on a 68 GTX with manifolds. Worked out well and fit, had to fab the tips so it looked stock from behind. It was a 727. Had bought a couple kits for brand X stuff too, all fit well. Bought a system from Pypes once. That one was awful.

Always had good luck with Magnaflow. Had a full kit on a 68 GTX with manifolds. Worked out well and fit, had to fab the tips so it looked stock from behind. It was a 727. Had bought a couple kits for brand X stuff too, all fit well. Bought a system from Pypes once. That one was awful.
The quality of the Magnaflow system was great but fitment was my only issue. The changes between’68-‘74 are enough that they should look into a more year specific kit. I priced the TTI but it was double the price and not even stainless.

The quality of the Magnaflow system was great but fitment was my only issue. The changes between’68-‘74 are enough that they should look into a more year specific kit. I priced the TTI but it was double the price and not even stainless.
Hi I am surching for a kit that fit on my Road runner 71 ?? Did find ??

Hi I am surching for a kit that fit on my Road runner 71 but did not found ??

Hi I am surching for a kit that fit on my Road runner 71 ?? Did find ??
I really feel that TTI is the best option. They build systems based on your car. Most others build them for a universal fit for 71-74. Sorry to say the Magnaflow system did not fit my car very well without a lot of modification. The tail pipe bends are totally wrong for the factory machine gun tips. Accurate exhaust is also a great option. Both are not cheap but what is nowadays? Good luck with your ‘71RR.

I really feel that TTI is the best option. They build systems based on your car. Most others build them for a universal fit for 71-74. Sorry to say the Magnaflow system did not fit my car very well without a lot of modification. The tail pipe bends are totally wrong for the factory machine gun tips. Accurate exhaust is also a great option. Both are not cheap but what is nowadays? Good luck with your ‘71RR.
thanks Scott !! if you have the place that you take TTi ... let me Know
thanks again
Richard

thanks Scott !! if you have the place that you take TTi ... let me Know
thanks again
Richard
You’re welcome.
I see you are in Quebec, I think there is a dealer there.
I’ve been getting my Mopar stuff from National Moparts in Ontario. They are a TTI dealer.

I had the same experience with the full Magnaflow system I put on my '59 Bel Air. LOTS of modification needed. Quality of the actual components was great, and it looked and sounded lovely once it was on, but was not an easy "bolt in"

I priced the TTI but it was double the price and not even stainless.
Magnaflow uses 409 stainless steel that will rust where TTi uses 304 stainless. My friend’s TTi complete 304 stainless steel system looks brand new after ten years.

Magnaflow uses 409 stainless steel that will rust where TTi uses 304 stainless. My friend’s TTi complete 304 stainless steel system looks brand new after ten years.
That’s interesting, I didn’t know they used different grades of stainless. When I priced the TTI, it was $500 more than the Magnaflow and not even with the optional stainless tubing. I can’t imagine how expensive a full stainless TTI system would be. But in the end you get what you pay for.

Auto Transport Service
Back