• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum 500 Wheels - sizes

wickedcharger

Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
I have decided to go with some new Magnum 500 reproductions for my 1968 Charger R/T. I am trying to figure out what size wheels to buy. I'm not sure if I like the look of Chargers w/ skinny tires all the way around. I feel like that rear of this car was just meant to filled w/ rubber. I am also concerned about grip at approx. 500 hp.

I am currently running a set of 18" Foose wheels, which I bought when I began this restoration 8 years ago. I love the way they handle but I wanted a more original look now.
My current setup is 245/45-18x8 front & 275/40-18x10 rear.

Here are some options I'm considering:
Prices for wheels and tires mounted balanced and shipped:

First option w/ BF Goodrich TA's w/ raised white lettering
15x7 245/60-15 ride height 26.5"
15x8 275/60-15 rh 28"
$1600

Second option w/ BF Goodrich Redlines.
15x7 235/70-15 rh 28"
$2000

Third option
15x7 235/70-15
BF Goodrich TA's
$1400

I would also consider running 15x8" front and 15x10" rear

Does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, or suggestions?
Also would love to see photos if anyone has them to share.
Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,503
if it were me wanting magnums, not road wheels, but all chrome
I would use a 275/60/15 on a 15 x 8 for the rear and a 235/60/15 on a 15 x 7 for the front , whitewall (letters) out

but right now on my 74 , I have a 255/70/15 on a 15 x 8 on the rear and a 225/70/15 on a 15 x 7 on the front because the wheel wells are so huge I needed something to fill them.

personal choice on this end is 15 x 8 on the back with L60 Goodyear GT polyglass on the back. 15 x 7 F60 GY Poly on the front. Fills the wheel wells and white letters out gives it that back in the day look. very classic. You can view the tires on Universal Vintage Tires. Awesome look. Cragar wheels. You'll be turning heads my friend! but thats my personal choice - you see it a lot on the Mecum and BJ auctions. I have this for my GTX.

If you can fit 15 x 10 on the back go for it!

Here's a set of AR500 from American Racing front-15X8 4.5" bs with 245/60/15 and rear-15X10 5" bs with 295/50/15. I just finished installing four wheel disc brakes, so don't mind the mess. IMG_0395.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg IMG_0367.jpg IMG_0395.jpg

Car Nut your Charger looks like mine did 8 years ago. Those wheels look great. Why did you decide to go with Aluminium Magnum 500's? I do like the idea of a lighter wheel and never having rust or pitting. Do you know what the weight differences are? What disk brakes did you go with? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

GetX'd thanks for the advice, I was originally leaning toward a redline but after seeing those Goodyear GT polyglass tires I think I might change my mind. They are a very tough looking tire, and I had no idea that they were original equipment on the R/T Chargers. I do have room for the 15x10 but I think 15x8 will be a better fit for the L60 at the same time saving some weight.

Car Nut your Charger looks like mine did 8 years ago. Those wheels look great. Why did you decide to go with Aluminium Magnum 500's? I do like the idea of a lighter wheel and never having rust or pitting. Do you know what the weight differences are? What disk brakes did you go with? Thanks
The biggest reason was rust and I got a deal on them, $202 ea. for the rear and $187 ea. for the front. You can get them in any back spacing you want and reverse centers if you choose. They are lighter, close to 10lbs on the rear and 15lbs on the front lighter. The disc brakes are lighter too, but more importantly they're safer. The kits are from Baer, front are #4141046 and rear #4142001.

These rears are 16"X10"

these rear rims are 16"x10' with I think 295 60 TA's on a car I used to have. Maybe they will give you an idea what they might look like .112697_Rear_3-4_Web[1].jpg

I used 15x10 with 295/50/15 on the rear and 15x7 with 245/60/15 on my Charger. I think this combo looks great on our B-bodies.

P6260012.jpg

these rear rims are 16"x10' with I think 295 60 TA's on a car I used to have. Maybe they will give you an idea what they might look like .View attachment 203487

Looks great Birdman. Trouble is, you can't get those tires in 16" anymore. 14s and 15s...that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty amazed at all these 10 inch wide rear wheels with 295 tires. Is it safe to say that this combo will fit any B body?

- - - Updated - - -

Hunt2elk, what offset and backspace are you using on that back wheel???

I used 15x10 with 295/50/15 on the rear and 15x7 with 245/60/15 on my Charger. I think this combo looks great on our B-bodies.

View attachment 203488

I'm pretty amazed at all these 10 inch wide rear wheels with 295 tires. Is it safe to say that this combo will fit any B body?

- - - Updated - - -

Hunt2elk, what offset and backspace are you using on that back wheel???

The rears have a 5.25" backspace. A lot of guys are running 5.5", but on this car the tires rub on the inner fender while turning and going up an incline with 5.5". Dodge cars have more room than a Plymouth in the rear wheel area. I have a 69 Road Runner that I would love to use 295's on, but there is no way without some major modifications - although some guys on here are running that combo on their Plymouths. Do a lot of measuring before ordering and if there is any doubt, go with more backspace as you can always add a spacer - within reason of course.

No way a 295 would fit in the back of a 66/67 without modification. My Coronet had 265's on it when i got it and would have rubbed on cornering if I had been able to drive it....

I wished they made a taller tire like 30" that was 12" wide for a 15" wheel.

Last edited:
I just checked availability of these wheel and tire options. I'm all good with the 15x7 w/ 245/60-15 on the front. The problem is that The BF Goodrich T/A 295/50-15 is out of stock everywhere and as of yesterday a BF Goodrich spokes person says that they have no manufacturing scheduled for the next 4-5 weeks. And that is not saying that they will go into production at that time. These tires could possibly be on backorder for a year.

So, now I have to decide whether to go w/ the 15x8 wheel w/ 275/60-15
or
I go w/ the 15x10 wheel w/ 275/60-15 and could opt for 295/50-15 down the road. (when its back in stock)
Another problem is that the 275 is technically slightly out of spec for a 10" wheel. (spec says max 9.5" wheel for 275 tire)
Although, I am told that this is not an issue and will fit fine.

The only other option is to wait until god knows when the tires are in stock, and Murphy's law will state that the wheels will then be out of stock.
Any thoughts on this...

is this thread too-old to resurrect? I have a bone-stock '68 R/T Charger that needs tires badly. The ones on it now are 23-years old (I know how old because I put them there ) and are scaring me a bit. Stock all-chrome Magnum 500s (the narrow ones) only allow for very conservative tires under the car. I'm considering a set of 15-inch M500s in the 8-inch width on the back but I'd like to keep my 14-inch stuff on the front. Any suggestions here as to tire combinations?

Pilzqewh.jpg

sNbl7hqh.jpg

if it were me, [you know the saying about opinions, don't you ?] i would go with 15's all around, if you are sticking with the 15's for the rear.
for the 8" rear, i would use 275-60's. i would use 6 or 7" in the front with a 225-70, in the brand of your choice. that should give you the same height tire at all corners, and you shouldn't have any rubbing issues at all.
the reason i suggest staying with the 15's is, some 14" tires are getting hard to find [at least around here they are] in a size that will fill the large front fender opening of our chargers.
however, if going 17" or larger wheel size [i hate the Donk or DORK look !] i can't help, as i'm stuck on the 15" size...........
just my opinion. your mileage will vary.
:drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back