• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercurochrome vs. Iodine

oldbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Reading a book and the subject got me thinking. I don’t remember mercurochrome stinging at all. Iodine, YES. Maybe my body chemistry? Oh, for ghostrider67; G-Man by Stephen Hunter.

Isopropyl alcohol with put hair in your chest!

I think iodine does sting, but not too bad. I like it’s effects on cuts though.

Isn’t iodine used to clean an area before surgery?

They use Betadine for prepping areas of the skin prior to surgery.

I remember Mercurochrome did not burn but Merthiolate burned like hell! My parents were old school and believed if it didn’t burn, it wasn’t working. An aunt used Mercurochrome on me. I was expecting a burn and was surprised when none occurred. Not sure about Iodine.
Ron

Guy I knew at his stag had his Tool and surrounding area covered with iodine 3 days before honeymoon. I was not involved!:lol:

I’ve used iodine tablets while on mission to make local water drinkable.

Did mercurochrome contain mercury and therefore is no longer sold? Iodine is a mineral and is REQUIRED for a healthy body. But , your right, as a kid I remember them all burning.......

Anyone remember Bactine??

bactine.jpg

I remember Mercurochrome did not burn but Merthiolate burned like hell! My parents were old school and believed if it didn’t burn, it wasn’t working. An aunt used Mercurochrome on me. I was expecting a burn and was surprised when none occurred. Not sure about Iodine.
Ron
You’re totally right.

Aren't those useful to counteract radiation?
To protect your thyroid gland from the effects of radiation if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back