• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starter

Red63440

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
After reading many of the posts on here about installing headers on the early B bodies I have a question. Which mini starters fit and which ones do you have problems with when installing headers? I hate like hell to have to hammer up a new set of ceramic headers for clearance.

THE MOPAR PERFORMANCE MINI STARTER works fine. i bought a mini starter off of ebay for 04 dakota and it works flawlessly for under $100.00 for 5 years now, and looks exactly the same.
i personally use meziere starters in my race cars but my headers are all custom made.

We used a junk yard Dakota starter in our race car for years then replaced it with a 440 source unit just to be on the safe side. It fried in three races and left us stranded in staging during eliminations. Dakota starter hasn't let us down yet.

I've used Power Master XS series mini starters with no problems

Junkyard unit out of a full sized pickup here.

Fits the 78030 Hedman Headers perfect.

I think mine is a powermaster ordered it from mancini racing...had to take the pigtale off for clearance to fit under the side of the block....65 Satellite 440 longtube hedman headers

I had really bad luck with the 440 source mini starters also. My big block Coronet (had headers) would not crank when hot. My small block Dart race car (also with headers) would let me down between rounds. I changed both back to the original type starters and no more problems. I figure that there was a heat soak problem. Tried to get some info from 440 source without any results.

The stock factory starters or even a junk yard starter work fine even with higher compression engines. If you go junk yarding, look for a new looking one. Not that an older looking one will be bad but why not get one that has fewer starts on it? I've found many brand new looking ones in junk yards. In the bigger cities, someone is always working on something in mommy's driveway (or the front yard) and give up after throwing new parts at them and finally, mommy gets tired of looking at it and has it hauled away. Several years ago I found a car with a brand new 360 in it and it had forged pistons in it! Thought maybe it was a result of a marriage gone bad and the X had it hauled off for spite lol

I'm using a Denso unit I purchased from Mancini (the Mopar mini-starter is the same (I suspect made by Denso)) with my TTI headers. Everything fits fine.

East Coast Auto Electric has a real good mini. 10 yrs on my Max Wedge race and even at the occasional 105* oat - which translates to about 140* under the car - never a problem - $160. Just got a mini from [email protected] for my street car for $97 at the door. New not reman. Too new to review. More news later on that one.

i bought a robbmc for the whats going on. not cheap, but told it was good.its in but had to shave some casting marks to make it fit right.

Auto Transport Service
Back