• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moog quality seems to have peaked and fallen.

I just went through this. I ended up spending the past several months tracking down old, "NOS", if you will, MOOG parts on Ebay. Ball joints and bushings.... Rebuilt the front end a couple years ago and it felt like **** so, I found these parts and they are night and day to the garbage they put out now. The upper CA bushings no longer squeak and everything is now very smooth, quiet and feels totally different. Had I known this is how it was going to be 25+yrs ago, I would have bought 3 of everything! Sad times
this.jpg
Yep, that's been the battle plan on most everything I've done on Fred - find old, but new in box stuff to use.

As an aside, and as an added confirmation of the OP's correct premise, I'd replaced factory suspension components on one of my modern Mopars a few years ago with Moog parts, thinking they were what they used to be, and they've since failed as miserably as the factory parts did with only 20k miles.

I just went through this. I ended up spending the past several months tracking down old, "NOS", if you will, MOOG parts on Ebay. Ball joints and bushings.... Rebuilt the front end a couple years ago and it felt like **** so, I found these parts and they are night and day to the garbage they put out now. The upper CA bushings no longer squeak and everything is now very smooth, quiet and feels totally different. Had I known this is how it was going to be 25+yrs ago, I would have bought 3 of everything! Sad times
Amen

As an aside, and as an added confirmation of the OP's correct premise, I'd replaced factory suspension components on one of my modern Mopars a few years ago with Moog parts, thinking they were what they used to be, and they've since failed as miserably as the factory parts did with only 20k miles.
Shame and feel for you WR

I used to think that Moog was THE brand to use for front end parts.
What happened?
I'm rebuilding the front end in this car:

View attachment 1714396

I ordered a front end rebuild kit from PST but I'm using up some of my NOS stuff from my stash first. I messed up one LCA bushing installation and needed just one.
My local NAPA stores have quit selling Moog parts. They are selling off what they have left in stock and going with a different supplier.
I went to a Car Quest and their clerk directed me to an Advance Auto Parts where they had a LCA bushing, so I bought it.
At home, I opened the box.

View attachment 1714397

Are you seeing what I am?

View attachment 1714398

The damned thing is offset from center.

View attachment 1714399

What kind of crap is this? (Made in India) I am using the offset UPPER control arm bushings, I don't need offset lowers. I returned this for a refund and bought this:

View attachment 1714401

View attachment 1714402
Made in America.

View attachment 1714403

There we go!

View attachment 1714404

It sucks to see an icon fall from grace.

Did you get any of these from Moog?

39739.jpeg

Source:
Moog K772 Upper Ball Joints - Better Check Before Installing

What happened?

View attachment 1714396

I ordered a front end rebuild kit from PST but I'm using up some of my NOS stuff from my stash first. I messed up one LCA bushing installation and needed just one.
My local NAPA stores have quit selling Moog parts. They are selling off what they have left in stock and going with a different supplier.
I went to a Car Quest and their clerk directed me to an Advance Auto Parts where they had a LCA bushing, so I bought it.

View attachment 1714397

View attachment 1714398

View attachment 1714399

What kind of crap is this? (Made in India) I am using the offset UPPER control arm bushings, I don't need offset lowers. I returned this for a refund and bought this:

View attachment 1714401

View attachment 1714402
Made in America.

View attachment 1714403

There we go!

View attachment 1714404

That is good to know, as the "Harris" name on this bushing was and is the OEM manufacturer for Mopar.

Made in India. "Some 'settling' may occur during shipping."

All of it may be crap now, but when I was researching this a couple years ago, Moog had their good parts under the "Problem Solver" brand, and the regular stuff was cheap crap for keeping old hoopties on the road another few months. No sense in putting a good part on a car that's getting crushed soon. AC Delco was the same.

What happened?

View attachment 1714396

View attachment 1714397

View attachment 1714398

View attachment 1714399

View attachment 1714401

View attachment 1714402
Made in America.

View attachment 1714403

There we go!

View attachment 1714404

It’s happening with Everything now a days! I put new PST in an E-body I own and it feels amazing! Nice looking ride you got there

The PST kit had parts with no names on them. I'd have to look closer to see who made them.
i have been complaining about moog's quality, or lack thereof, for almost 20 years now, [if not more] and unless one can get "old" stock, just don't buy it ! also, even if it says "made in usa" on the box, look the part over good and compare it to the original ! i have found "parts store brand" junk in moog boxes, so anymore, it's a REAL crap shoot buying any moog parts ! i really don't know what brand to recommend anymore, but pro-forge seems to be a possible good brand, and although some may heartily disagree, i have had pretty good luck with a couple of mevotech items i have bought and installed on the "bus", my 1999 shorty caravan.
there is also a pretty beefy brand of parts used in dirt track applications that have caught my attention, as they are rebuildable [?], but i haven't had a chance to inspect anything in person. the brand is HOWE, or HOWLE, i'm not sure. i think speedway motors sells their products ? just tossing this out there in case someone has experience with this brand of parts, and can report on any pertinent information.
i am always looking for "old stock" moog parts at swaps, and have scored some good deals on spare parts for my charger, especially if the guy selling doesn't know what he has. as my car still has all the original components, and only has almost 19k original miles on it, i may not need to change out any parts in my limited lifetime left, at least i can gather up parts for the next "caretaker". :thumbsup::drinks:

I used a PST front end kit in a 1971 Demon years ago. Strut rod bushings didnt last a year.

And is only one of the reasons I hunt for NOS if I can

Federal Mogul owns Moog; they went to global marketing in 2001 and things never were the same after that.
They actually make their stuff in 16 (!) countries now - and the same part number often can come from multiple
countries, too:
https://www.suspension.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/
Damn shame. There was a time Moog was the Mack Daddy in suspension parts...
And Federal-Mogul was owned by Tenneco, which was bought by Apollo Global Management.

Friend just ordered upper ball joints for a 64 Belvedere from NAPA. Part number NCP. 260 1042. And he said box said made in USA.

Auto Transport Service
Back