• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1971 Road runner

With that big task out of the way, it's back to working on the engine.
First order of business is to remove the inner valve springs.

June 11th (14).jpg
June 11th (15).jpg
June 11th (16).jpg
June 11th (26).jpg

A little tweaking on the tool helped to keep it centered on the retainer.
Since I have a new Isky cam and Crower solid lifters installed....(after the Hughes cam debacle...:mad:) the inners have to come out and I'll have to do a cam break-in with the engine in the car.

Then it was timing cover install.
June 15th.jpg

Next it was the Romac harmonic balancer install.
June 20th (3).jpg

I had to buy the hardware thru McMaster Carr as the balancer is an interference fit so I didn't dare just whack it on with a sister sledge....

Next, I installed 8 magnets in the lifter valley.
My engine machinist does this on all the roundy round engines he builds - he says it keeps some of crap off the cam and lifter faces.
June 20th (1).jpg
June 20th (2).jpg

Today it was back to installing the 1.6 Harland Sharpe rocker arms and shafts.
June 24th (1).jpg
June 24th (2).jpg
June 24th (3).jpg

I used the Mopar chart to do the adjustment.
June 24th (4).jpg

Interesting. Are the magnets epoxied to the block or do you rely on the strength for them to hold?

T2R9 - the magnets are JB welded in place.
Mind you, I would think that their strength would be enough, but not taking any chances.
I will be putting another one (6" long x 1/2" wide x 3/16" thick) on the outside of the bottom of the oil pan close to the drain plug.

I finally got the rest of the engine bits back on it.
All there is left is the valve covers & alternator and fan.
Oh, don't forget headers and carb along with distributor.
July 6th (1).jpg
July 6th (2).jpg
July 6th (3).jpg
July 6th (4).jpg

Soon enough I'll be able to put it on the K-member and get the headers mounted along with bellhousing, clutch & starter.

I was finally able to score the most sought after part for this project...........the coveted dash pad.. :bananadance:
I'd been searching for a replacement pad for about 2 years now as the one that came in the car was had the typical cracks on it.
July 3rd (12).jpg
July 3rd (13).jpg

A little backstory on this crusade.
I had an order for one with a company called Moparts Canada located in Windsor, Ontario.
Well after dickin me around for a year they still could not come up with one, so I cancelled my order.
A local Mopar guy was getting them from a company in El Paso, Texas (but wouldn't tell me the name of said company) so I had him order one for me - that was in March of this year.
I heard nothing about mine until recently I messaged him and he said that he cancelled all his orders and stopped payment.
So I asked about my order to which the reply was "sorry, I might go to Carlisle and find one."
So I figured my chances of him finding one was a snowballs chance in he!!
:rant:

Last week I was looking on the for B-Bodies site under interior parts for sale and lo & behold there's a dash pad for sale!!!
Long story short I made contact with the seller Turbine68rt (Many Thanks Steve!!) who agreed to ship it to my US mailbox.
I picked it up on July 3rd.
I couldn't be happier...
:D

July 3rd (1).jpg
July 3rd (2).jpg
Dash pad pics (12).jpg

Along with the dash pad which was done by ABC Moparts I also got a complete set of ducting for an A/C setup.
I also got a speaker grille and under dash fasten seat belt / map light panel Along with the Satellite wood grain panel.

Today I finally got the chance to try it on the frame.
It fits great!
July 6th (15).jpg
July 6th (13).jpg
July 6th (14).jpg

A little hint to getting a great fit - don't use the speed nuts that are normally used to fasten the dash to the frame, instead use #10-24 ny-loks like I did along with #10 fender washers.
July 6th (6).jpg
July 6th (5).jpg
July 6th (7).jpg
July 6th (8).jpg
July 6th (10).jpg
July 6th (11).jpg
July 6th (12).jpg

Dash looks really good. Wish I would have thought to use the nylock nuts when I changed my dash pad.

Thanks guys, I thought to try the #10 ny-loks when a coiple of the speed nuts just kept spinning and not catching any threads - and they are new speed nuts.
Well, today was a big day for the car.
I've waited a long time to post these pics.
July 8th (10).jpg
July 8th (11).jpg
July 8th (12).jpg

I also got the bulkhead connections hooked up.
July 8th (13).jpg
July 8th (14).jpg
\

It's been a big hurdle for me.
Now I can celebrate with a beer or three.
Now I can prepare for the engine install.

Looks awsome! Time to celebrate
20200328_163320.jpg

my old one built date of 9-70 , sold it to a friend and he resold it . maybe someone here bought it .

71 RR dash.jpg

71 RR door pnl.jpg

71 RR eng well.jpg

71 RR eng with hood.JPG

71 RR frt end.jpg

71 RR intr .jpg

71 RR rear rt.jpg

71 RR rt frt side.jpg

71 RR rt rear side.jpg

Thanks guys, I thought to try the #10 ny-loks when a coiple of the speed nuts just kept spinning and not catching any threads - and they are new speed nuts.
Well, today was a big day for the car.
I've waited a long time to post these pics.
View attachment 1491415View attachment 1491416View attachment 1491417

I also got the bulkhead connections hooked up.
View attachment 1491418View attachment 1491419\

It's been a big hurdle for me.
Now I can celebrate with a beer or three.
Now I can prepare for the engine install.
Fantastic & Beautiful! I know that wonderful feeling of awe and relief when you get the Dash back in. Keep up the great work.

Very, very nice!! I’m a big fan of the Longboards too!

Well, back to doin more stuff.
I dug out the front bumper...
July 22nd (1).jpg
July 22nd (2).jpg

And put some primer on the underside.
July 22nd (6).jpg

I used this primer.
July 22nd (4).jpg

Next was to put down 2 coats of white paint.
July 23rd (8).jpg

That was on Saturday.
Yesterday was another big step for me.
With the help of my neighbor who has a truck, we were able to load up the engine.
July 23rd (1).jpg
July 23rd (3).jpg

And get it to the back garage to where the car is.

July 23rd (4).jpg

At least now the engine is in the same building as the car is.....
July 23rd (6).jpg
July 23rd (7).jpg

I was measuring up for a torque strap when I noticed that the bottom plate weld was pulled away from the other plate it was suppose to be welded to (circled area).
20230723_143906 (2).jpg

So a little grinding and welding to do.

So after putting in a small 1' x 1.25" plate in the gap to close it up and weld it up it was time to get it prepped to have the engine placed on it.
But first, I'm installing a torque bar on the drivers side.
Member @Runner 68 did one with his setup and gave me the link on where he purchased his.
Aug 4th.jpg
Aug 4th (2).jpg

BUT dumbass me ordered one of the heim ends with the wrong direction of thread.....:mad:
So while waiting for the proper one to come in I did mount it on the engine along with the engine mounts.
Aug 4th (3).jpg

Now get the K-member in place.
Aug 4th (4).jpg

And prepare to meet thy engine.
Aug 4th (5).jpg
Aug 4th (6).jpg

After slowly lowering it down & tighten the ARP's a huge breath of relief!
Aug 4th (1).jpg
Aug 4th (9).jpg

Here's where the torque bar will be fastener to.
Aug 4th (10).jpg

A huge thanks to Runner 68!

So after putting in a small 1' x 1.25" plate in the gap to close it up and weld it up it was time to get it prepped to have the engine placed on it.
But first, I'm installing a torque bar on the drivers side.
Member @Runner 68 did one with his setup and gave me the link on where he purchased his.
View attachment 1504665View attachment 1504666

BUT dumbass me ordered one of the heim ends with the wrong direction of thread.....:mad:
So while waiting for the proper one to come in I did mount it on the engine along with the engine mounts.
View attachment 1504667
Now get the K-member in place.
View attachment 1504668
And prepare to meet thy engine.
View attachment 1504669View attachment 1504670
After slowly lowering it down & tighten the ARP's a huge breath of relief!
View attachment 1504673View attachment 1504674
Here's where the torque bar will be fastener to.
View attachment 1504675
A huge thanks to Runner 68!

I wish there were a "Your Welcome" button on here John. Seemed logical to me. Good to know it fits equally well on a small block.
Polish that ****** out!

IMG_3348.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back