• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My confrontation with severe vertigo

I suffered from vertigo for a period of about 5 or 6 years in my 50s but haven't had an attack in probably 15 years. My family doctor said if you have it once you will always have it but I seem to be the exception and I'm closing in on turning 70 rapidly. It is a horrible affliction, you sense the room started to move and slowly start spinning, your head gets light and you feel nauseous and there isn't anything you can do about it but quickly struggle to find a close place to lay down, close your eyes and wait it out. After it got going in full gear I couldn't stand up or walk without spinning and falling down. I used to drive quite a bit in my work and I was always worried it would set in while I was driving but fortunately I've never had it outside or in a car. Best of luck with your dealing with it.

Sounds like the days long ago when I drank to much. Got to watch ladders myself any more not on count of vertigo. It is trying to step off two or three steps off the floor and not hanging onto the ladder.

Crazy but true, I have a BIL who has a bad fear of heights.
One of his kids last year got one of those virtual reality head sets you put a smart phone onto.
My Bil got to messing with it like looking off the cliff crap trying to deal with his fear of heights.
Here is the crazy part. If his feet were flat on the floor he could handle any of the videos. If he lifted his feet up and repeated the same views he got dizzy as hell.
I'm not smart enough to read those signs but it seems like something that could be worked out.

Best stay grounded Ed!
Here is a therapeutic movie for comic relief:

Crazy but true, I have a BIL who has a bad fear of heights.
One of his kids last year got one of those virtual reality head sets you put a smart phone onto.
My Bil got to messing with it like looking off the cliff crap trying to deal with his fear of heights.
Here is the crazy part. If his feet were flat on the floor he could handle any of the videos. If he lifted his feet up and repeated the same views he got dizzy as hell.
I'm not smart enough to read those signs but it seems like something that could be worked out.
If he can work it out or not he would be a danger to everyone off the ground.
One test we had to pass years ago was to be able to walk down a 2x4 lying on the ground carrying equipment. It was surprising the amount that could not pass that one task. Sure don't need those types 8 feet or 800 feet off the ground.

If he can work it out or not he would be a danger to everyone off the ground.
One test we had to pass years ago was to be able to walk down a 2x4 lying on the ground carrying equipment. It was surprising the amount that could not pass that one task. Sure don't need those types 8 feet or 800 feet off the ground.
Yep, you will not find him on the roof when we shingle.

Had it off and on for 40 years, Have it right now when ever I turn my head a certain way. Ears will ring, vision rolls, then fade away, sometimes it’ll come on just starring at something. I just learned to live with it. Thankfully it’s quick and doesn’t affect my driving for long (seconds). A friend had it so bad (sick all the time he was bed ridden) finally the Docs removed the middle ear, now he’s back to racing fast! Little particles in the ear fluid that float around messing up your equilibrium.

I understand. One of my biggest fantasies as a child, other than touching Heather Thomas' supple pale bosom, was to be a fighter pilot. Sadly enough, I couldn't even climb up to a second story roof and look down without feeling like I was going to pass out. I used to live in New York, and my mom would always try to take me up into lady liberty, the empire state building and the world trade center. I remember freaking out every time while my mom got a kick out of it.

Fast forward to today and the acrophobia and accompanying physical sensations have only gotten worse. A few years ago I went skydiving! I jumped out of a rickety POS that had no business being in the air at 14,000 above southern calfiornia which, considering my affliction, is nothing short of a miracle. Oddly enough, once I was free falling the fear of heights was gone! The fact that I was falling towards the earth to potential death didn't bother me at all; it was such a glorious experience.

Anyway, the fear of heights is irrational, but I guess some of us weren't meant to play in the great blue yonder. Ah well, at least I still have that door sized poster of Heather Thomas

Wow myk this is exactly my experience with fear of heights. My dad pretty much taught me the fear I remember going to the grand canyon as a kid and him holding me away from the edge of the canyon with a death grip even with the railing there. I would get the vertigo as well Ed. Skydiving kicked the fear out of me it's really strange how that works but it's very true. I went in college and I haven't had the fear of heights since then. I remember every moment of that experience and the most fear I had was on takeoff realizing that the only way off the plane was jumping out of it. I won't lie the initial drop is terrifying for the first timer i remember screaming and not being able to hear it and the plane disappearing from view within a second but the feeling at terminal velocity is pretty amazing and seems to be a good way to confront the fear head on.

My stepdad who was in the 101st airborne in vietnam used to go skydiving every year until he physically couldn't do it anymore. Myself I appreciate the experience but havent gone back, I prefer horizontal thrills like motorcycles rather than drops out of a plane. I will say it's worth it, and way more safe than something related like bungee jumping.

I think confronting the fear in a controlled way is the method that works the best. Kudos to you Ed for taking that step.

Auto Transport Service
Back