• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My overheating senario….

Anyone know where to get this lower hose spring?
Spring is not necessary. Before test running car w adjustments you've made, get a pressure tester from auto parts store (loaner tool) and check system hold pressure at 16psi. Then drive car. If it burps a little, let it cool n then drive again and check temps. 215° is "not" overheating. After initial "burp", if it does, do not add any more coolant to radiator. It should not burp again. Now level is where it needs to be for expansion.

I’m still concerned about air escaping rad cap when I squeeze the lower hose!

Last edited:
Anyone know where to get this lower hose spring?
This is the one I used from eBay worked and fit perfect in my 69 roadrunner

IMG_3924.png

You should not hear air being expelled from the radiator cap when squeezing the hose.

If this is happening, check that the cap is on correctly. It’s a two step closure. You apply downward force to secure the cap properly on the second step.

Ok, so any 13x1 5/8 should work?
Yes this is stainless so it won’t rust.I have run with and without a spring definitely will keep your hose from collapsing if you install one. Years back I remember them having one in the bottom hose seems like all the newer ones don’t

You should not hear air being expelled from the radiator cap when squeezing the hose.

If this is happening, check that the cap is on correctly. It’s a two step closure. You apply downward force to secure the cap properly on the second step.
Yes, tried that MANY times…. Have to investigate further…. I didn’t think air should be leaking out when squeezing lower hose

I use those Mustang springs in the lower hose as well. I have ripped apart more than one old mopar in my day, and have found springs in quite few of the lower hoses.

I use those Mustang springs in the lower hose as well. I have ripped apart more than one old mopar in my day, and have found springs in quite few of the lower hoses.
Shopping for one right now

Ok. Factory shroud installed. Coolant level at least inch below fill hole. New 16lb rad cap installed….I don’t have time to run motor up to temp today, but will in the morning.
For giggles, i did squeeze the lower hose approximately in the middle, no trouble squeezing it completely together.. not sure if that’s good.
BUT—- when i squeeze that hose, air escapes out the new rad cap???
Old hoses, all of them get weak eventually needing replacing, if the lower hose is weak and haven't changed the upper one, good time to do it. Brake hoses, fuel, vacuum hoses, pcv, get mushy from wear and/or age and can collapse or fail under use.

Hard to believe all the major parts stores around here don’t list any rad hose springs… only found the one on ebay

Ī
Yes, tried that MANY times…. Have to investigate further…. I didn’t think air should be leaking out when squeezing lower hose
NO NEED TO INVESTIGATE FURTHUR.....Just replace the cap with the one for your application.....coolant recovery system or regular pressure cap......
BOB RENTON

Old hoses, all of them get weak eventually needing replacing, if the lower hose is weak and haven't changed the upper one, good time to do it. Brake hoses, fuel, vacuum hoses, pcv, get mushy from wear and/or age and can collapse or fail under use.
The purpose of the spring in the I.D. of the lower radiator hose is to prevent high RPM water pump operation (suction pressure) from collapsing the hose, starving the pump causing over heating due to lack of coolant flow......
BOB RENTON

Ī

NO NEED TO INVESTIGATE FURTHUR.....Just replace the cap with the one for your application.....coolant recovery system or regular pressure cap......
BOB RENTON
Soooooooo….. air escaping the cap while squeezing the lower hose is normal?

The purpose of the spring in the I.D. of the lower radiator hose is to prevent high RPM water pump operation (suction pressure) from collapsing the hose, starving the pump causing over heating due to lack of coolant flow......
BOB RENTON
Yes….was hoping to find one locally

Yes….was hoping to find one locally
QUIT LOOKING....as most of the manufacturers have redesigned the hose's cross section area, thru the internal reinforcement chords and overall hose material to NOT NEED the metallic spring.....less costly to produce.....use one of the green Goodyear high temp offerings...slightly more $$....no one will know your hose does not have the spring......
BOB RENTON

QUIT LOOKING....as most of the manufacturers have redesigned the hose's cross section area, thru the internal reinforcement chords and overall hose material to NOT NEED the metallic spring.....less costly to produce.....use one of the green Goodyear high temp offerings...slightly more $$....no one will know your hose does not have the spring......
BOB RENTON
Ill look for one if these green ones…. additionally, i asked if you thought squeezing the lower hose causing air to bleed out the cap was normal?

Auto Transport Service
Back