• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on engine decision

I'd be willing to bet you can make more power with a gen 3 and forced induction, than you can with a $40,000 gen 2, for about 1/3 the money.
"I" can't, but I'm sure there are those that can!

Great use for a 392. Too bad he replaced it with a hilborn-injected small block chevy

20220714_175628.jpg

20220714_175805.jpg

Last edited:
IOM......how about a good old 225 cu.in. slant 6 (Valiant or Dart) or even more rare 198 or a 170) with a 3 speed column shift 2 door post sedan.....reliable.....inexpensive to operate, parts easy to find ...unique.....everyone wants a mega hp 8 second street machines that gets 20 mpg (why?).....just to impress their "buddies"???? .......ill take the old / 6 sedan......
BOB RENTON
Nothing wrong with wanting an 8 second car that gets 20 mpg.
The trick is getting it! (I sure don't know how. I get a 16 second car with 10 mpg, lol)

Nothing wrong with wanting an 8 second car that gets 20 mpg.
The trick is getting it! (I sure don't know how. I get a 16 second car with 10 mpg, lol)
Except.....in my opinion....there's so much more to life than a pile of nuts and bolts....to share life's wonders and what the world offers with one's wife or life partner...un-selfishly. A boat has been referred to as "a floating hole in the water that you pour money into".....the same thing can be said of a car, albeit a classic 100% numbers matching or an 8 second car....a rolling hole in the road that you pour money into......BUT to each his own volition.....personally I prefer the former rather than the latter.......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

The newer hemi engines, such as the blown hellcat motor, will be more friendly to drive, better a/c setup, and better gas mileage. A lot more fab work to get it mounted.

A big block sounds better, might be a little cheaper to build. Gas mileage will be poor.

The newer hemi engines, such as the blown hellcat motor, will be more friendly to drive, better a/c setup, and better gas mileage. A lot more fab work to get it mounted.

A big block sounds better, might be a little cheaper to build. Gas mileage will be poor.
I really do like big blocks but the cost for either would be the same. Except a Gen 3 6.2 block goes for $2k and an aftermarket 440 or 426 block is is roughly $5k

I really do like big blocks but the cost for either would be the same. Except a Gen 3 6.2 block goes for $2k and an aftermarket 440 or 426 block is is roughly $5k
Yep. Basically enough to do a really good set of heads for the difference in price.

Auto Transport Service
Back