• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help with my Carter BBD

Plymouth71

Waterslide Decal Artist
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
I need some help figuring out some issues with my carburetor. I rebuilt it, and I believe I did it correctly. However after reattaching it and plumbing it, it stalls a lot. When I'm driving, and put my foot down it bogs down. At stop lights it will idle fine and then drop off so. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the metering rods, or perhaps the floats are not adjusted correctly. It also backfires at times.

Video of backfire
IMG_20240709_123758044.jpg
IMG_20240709_123821055.jpg

Give us some details please... did you replace the needle and seat? Did you check/double check the float level? Rebuild kits will give you a gauge to do that with. Is the engine hot/choke off (confirmed) when it does this (as shown in the video)? What is the vac reading when it is idling nice?

For starters, what's with the Mènage à trois of vacuum hoses. I'd straighten all that out first.

I did replace the needle and seat, I did set the floats, they were brand new. Only did it once though, probably should have checked it twice. My friend and I used the vacuum gauge and timing light to set the timing everything seemed to be good. The car idles nicely, but I don't recall the numbers. They were near spec according to the repair manual and the carburetor manufacturer numbers. I've been looking for a proper vacuum diagram, and having difficulty so if you see something that's wrong please tell me. The engine can be hot or cold when it bogs down

Pull a plug or two after you've run it to temp and see what they look like. Were you trying to remedy a problem when you rebuilt it or was it running fine before? Are you absolutely sure the wires are installed correctly per firing order?

I've been looking for a proper vacuum diagram, and having difficulty so if you see something that's wrong please tell me.
Happen to have a 73 fury 318 in today.
20240709_144938.jpg
20240709_144915.jpg
20240709_144938.jpg

The rebuild addressed the accelerator pump parts and adjustment?

The issue with the carb was happening before I rebuilt it. I did check the plugs they are in the correct firing order. I had removed the intake, had it hot tanked, repainted and reinstalled. Accelerator pump was replaced as was the floats, the needle valve all the o-rings check balls etc. It was a full kit. Thank you for the pictures

I need some help figuring out some issues with my carburetor. I rebuilt it, and I believe I did it correctly. However after reattaching it and plumbing it, it stalls a lot. When I'm driving, and put my foot down it bogs down. At stop lights it will idle fine and then drop off so. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the metering rods, or perhaps the floats are not adjusted correctly. It also backfires at times.

Video of backfire View attachment 1691811View attachment 1691812
The first 2 pix show a Carter 1-1/4" BBD carb. You don't say what what engine assuming it's a pre '73 LA 318 or 273 LA (single plane intake manifold). Later pix show a similar carb on a LA 318 engine (blue color) having an electrically assisted choke and EGR VALVE. Calibration between the obvious yesrs is different. The BBD metering rods are small and easily damaged. The plethora of vacuum hoses differ between yesrs. Consult the FSM for correct connection and orientation. I hope you've correctly installed the base gasket and throttle body to bowl gasket as manifold vacuum passes thru both. Re check the float levels uding the gauge furnished with the kit, also external accelerator pump lever setting and pump plunger setting. Did you remember to install the accelerator pump drive spring? I trust that you have the FSM for your year/engine. PM me if I can assist.....
BOB RENTON

That first pic also shows the choke completely closed.
Is it operating properly?

I guess the throttle pin is one more way to plug a vacuum line.

You bet, that's the one going to the aircleaner. For the OP, I would plug that one.
The choke hose should go where it goes on the back. And then where does the hose go to toward the fire wall.
And what's that in the vacuum port in the intake???

Screenshot_20240709_184016_Chrome.jpg

My bad. What do these three vacuum lines go to.. i could see one possibly runnning the a/c controls.. cruise? Vacuum resevoir? Vacuum power trunk??

Do you have a good spray from the accelerator pump? BBD stands for ball bearing discharge, they have a ball bearing in the bottom of the accelerator pump cavity. If it is missing it will not work correctly.

Do you have a good spray from the accelerator pump? BBD stands for ball bearing discharge, they have a ball bearing in the bottom of the accelerator pump cavity. If it is missing it will not work correctly.
Incorrect.....BBD = BALL AND BALL DOWNDRAFT. The Ball brothers invented the design.....
BOB RENTON

HB shifted and you are overadvanced/retarded? I've seen it more than once.. any progress?

A damn good cleaning of the carb wouldn't go amiss.

I thought the "D" stood for dual.

BBS- one barrel (single)

BBD- two barrel (dual)

Auto Transport Service
Back