• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New distributor

PolaraFury

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
Was given an Engine Works 4RTR-383 distributor. (The copy of the MSD 8386 RRR ) Put it in my low deck stroker, set it to 30 total advance. On a 544/541 summit hydraulic roller cam with 440 source heads. When I step on it I get a steady backfire out the exhaust.

What are your thoughts?

Does it require the bal res? Was it removed if not needed?
Based on this

(The copy of the MSD 8386 RRR )

It’s a ready to run , so should have FULL BATTERY VOLTAGE to positive side of coil and positive red of distributor

And of course a low ohm ignition coil , something like a MSD Blaster 2

Based on this

It’s a ready to run , so should have FULL BATTERY VOLTAGE to positive side of coil and positive red of distributor

No Ballast Resistor it has been gone for years

Based on this

No BR it has been gone for years now

Was given an Engine Works 4RTR-383 distributor. (The copy of the MSD 8386 RRR ) Put it in my low deck stroker, set it to 30 total advance. On a 544/541 summit hydraulic roller cam with 440 source heads. When I step on it I get a steady backfire out the exhaust.

What are your thoughts?
My thought is possible exhaust valve not seating. Easiest thing to do would be to try a "known good" distributor.
Gus

My thought is possible exhaust valve not seating. Easiest thing to do would be to try a "known good" distributor.
Gus
I’m going to talk to the guy at the speed shop that gave it to me and I might put the old one back on

Flame thrower Petronix I bought from 4 sec flat to work with his ignition box when I deleted my ballast resistor
His ignition box requires the Flamethrower I at 1.4 - 1.5 OHM

That would bee WRONG for your Ready to Run CDI Distributor that you just installed

You need a Pertronix Flamethrower II or a MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil

Ignition coil in the .6 - .7 OHM Range for a CDI Type Ignition System

Measure the OHM Resistance on your current Ignition Coil first and get back with us
Pertronix Flamethrower I should bee around 1.5 OHM and is likely your issue as it’s not designed for the CDI Type Distributor or a CDI Ignition Box

Last edited:
^^^^ This is incorrect.
[1] GM HEI, which is an inductive ign system, comes with a coil that has 0.6 ohm pri resistance.
[2] This dist is not a CD dist.

I suspect the RTR dist uses the same circuitry, or close to it, of the HEI 4 pin module, just laid out on a printed cct board.

The MSD dist recommends the Blaster 2 coil, & no bal res; this coil has a 0.7 ohm pri res. You could use a stock coil with this dist, which will require the stock bal res to be used with the coil, but full 12v to the dist.

Bottom line with the coil: You can use any inductive ign type coil with the dist as long as the bal res is used with THAT coil if it is designed to use a bal res.

I’m only getting 10.8 volts at the coil. I’m going to have to chase an electrical gremlin

Is that engine running/not running? Normal to get some voltage drop through the system without the engine running. Voltage will increase with running engine, alt charging.

Auto Transport Service
Back