• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Mopar! Here's my new 1969 Superbee project car!

Looks like it turned out very nice in the end. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. We live in the era where internet trolls run rapid and words like money pit,scrap yard and etc are usually how they start off haha. I apologize for putting in the same boat as a internet troll. Haha.
Now that you have been introduced to our local ********, you will see that he really is a nice guy. I won't say any more than that because he already is plenty full of himself :rolleyes:.

Looks like it turned out very nice in the end. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. We live in the era where internet trolls run rapid and words like money pit,scrap yard and etc are usually how they start off haha. I apologize for putting in the same boat as a internet troll. Haha.

1720657260730.jpeg

Now that you have been introduced to our local ********, you will see that he really is a nice guy. I won't say any more than that because he already is plenty full of himself :rolleyes:.
Ohhhhh,so he does have a small follicle of troll in him then haha. He just actually knows what he talking about haha.

Hey guys,so I'm searching through the 69 superbee registry,and I noticed that there are only 18 cars that have the factory n96 + a31 "3.91 sure grip package " . I'm guessing that the 3.91 gears are on the rarer side?

I bought a new Super Bee coupe in 1969 in St. Thomas, Ontario. It came with N96, A31, Y1 Sunfire Yellow. Also had 727 automatic, power disc brakes. A31 (3.91 gears) package also gave car the Hemi suspension and H.D. cooling package with 26" radiator, clutch fan, and shroud. This car was ordered as dealer inventory with some interesting options. I saw it being backed off the transporter, and went in and bought it. It would run consistent 14.2's at the local drags.

Last edited:
Interesting, the guy that I got my 69 from also has a Dana car as well. The Dana cars are even rarer that the 426 hemi and a12 cars aren't they? Don't know much about them as my mopar knowledge only extends to a month,but from what I read the seem super rare.
Your car would’ve come with an 8 3/4” and the 3:91 according to the a31 code on your tag. No reason to chase down a Dana, unless you’re going to build some serious horsepower. I would venture to guess that the 8 3/4” in it is probably original to the car.

You may also want to reconsider using those, or ANY Sherman panels for your car. Even Sherman will tell you that their metal is #5, meaning “only meant to be used when no other part is available”. AMD quarters will need FAR less work than the Sherman panels, which I would only use to cut patches from. Less work = less time, and less money.

Last edited:
I bought a new Super Bee coupe in 1969 in St. Thomas, Ontario. It came with N96, A31, Y1 Sunfire Yellow. Also had 727 automatic, power disc brakes. A31 (3.91 gears) package also gave car the Hemi suspension and H.D. cooling package with 26" radiator, clutch fan, and shroud. This car was ordered as dealer inventory with some interesting options. I saw it being backed off the transporter, and went in and bought it. It would run consistent 14.2's at the local drags.
Interesting,so 3.91 gears = hemi suspension as well. Noted! was it only the 3.91 gears or also the 3.55 gears that came with hemi suspension? Are the 3.91 gears the next best to the dana 4.10 gears? We'll not to say are they thebest,but are they desirable on a factory car as compared to a standard 2.94 gear? This car isn't an a12 car of course,but it seems that d21,n96,and a31 optioned together seems to be on the rarer side of the spectrum. Especially the a31 3.91 gears.

Your car would’ve come with an 8 3/4” and the 3:91 according to the a31 code on your tag. No reason to chase down a Dana, unless you’re going to build some serious horsepower. I would venture to guess that the 8 3/4” in it is probably original to the car.

You may also want to reconsider using those, or ANY Sherman panels for your car. Even Sherman will tell you that their metal is #5, meaning “only meant to be used when no other part is available”. AMD quarters will need FAR less work than the Sherman panels, which I would only use to cut patches from. Less work = less time, and less money.
That's for the heads us! I'll look more into this. Does that mean that they're easier to dent and etc?

That's for the heads us! I'll look more into this. Does that mean that they're easier to dent and etc?
The measurements are almost always way off, the detail of the stampings are not crisp, thinner metal, dimensions front to back are horrible. It even mentions in their catalog that their stuff is for collision repair, and only to be used when no other part can be found. Sherman is within an hour of me, but I believe I’ve only used their stuff when they were the only game in town. Long before AMD came along, there was only Sherman and Goodmark, with Goodmark being of much better quality. If you’re doing the metal work, you would be much better off with AMD.

The measurements are almost always way off, the detail of the stampings are not crisp, thinner metal, dimensions front to back are horrible. It even mentions in their catalog that their stuff is for collision repair, and only to be used when no other part can be found. Sherman is within an hour of me, but I believe I’ve only used their stuff when they were the only game in town. Long before AMD came along, there was only Sherman and Goodmark, with Goodmark being of much better quality. If you’re doing the metal work, you would be much better off with AMD.
Thanks,I'll look into amd tonight. Measurements being way off is a biggie haha.

Interesting,so 3.91 gears = hemi suspension as well. Noted! was it only the 3.91 gears or also the 3.55 gears that came with hemi suspension? Are the 3.91 gears the next best to the dana 4.10 gears? We'll not to say are they thebest,but are they desirable on a factory car as compared to a standard 2.94 gear? This car isn't an a12 car of course,but it seems that d21,n96,and a31 optioned together seems to be on the rarer side of the spectrum. Especially the a31 3.91 gears.
Generally speaking, cars with 14" tires got 3 .91's, and cars with 15" tires got 4 .10's. That way for any given road speed, the engine rev's would be about the same. I found that my SuperBee, with 14" tires, would run 3 ,000 rpm. at 60 mph. I ran across other SuperBees and RoadRunners that had 3.55's, but not many with factory 3.91's.
When I first put my 440, automatic 1967 R/T together, I used 3.91's on a SureGip on a 8 3/4" . The increased torque of the 440, coupled with bias-ply redline 14" tires made the car pretty squirrelly. They only stayed in the car about a month before I changed them to 3.23.

Here is a Sherman panel.. Dont mind the crappy video but mind the body lines.. Way off this is a 66 belvedere not your car but the quality is pretty much the same. Dont buy them unless you cant find anything else.

the only hope for that car is a 90% rebody....... go find a solid donor, do it right, and keep your mouth shut

the only hope for that car is a 90% rebody....... go find a solid donor, do it right, and keep your mouth shut
No sir haha. I won't even consider such blasphemy haha. I'm a firm believer that if you can build it once,then you can build it again. It's going to take some work of course,but this car will be restored on the same Body that it left the factory with. Just with new pieces. Doing a rebody is like building a kit car to me haha.

Has your brother seen the car & is he ok with donating at least 1,500 hours of his time?

Has your brother seen the car & is he ok with donating at least 1,500 hours of his time?
Yes sir,he saw it before I pulled the trigger on it. We're not overly concerned about the body work and time it will take to do it. The main objective was to get a numbers matching,nicely optioned superbee with a clean title at the lowest cost of entry. With the parts included with this car,I basically paid for the extra parts and got a numbers matching 4 speed n96 superbee with a 3.91 sure grip and a clean title for free. It's all a matter of perspective.Regardlees of whether the car needs work or not,its still the car thatci just described. Yes it will be work,but in terms of a starting point and initial capital spent,I'm really only maybe $2,000 into this car when you subtract the car from the parts :) so just say if I spent $60,000 more into it,I'd only have $62,000 into the car.

Hey guys,so of I'm reading the 1969 superbee registry correct,there are 33 y2 yellow 383 4 speed cars registered in the registry?

Screenshot_20240718_174141_Chrome.jpg

Is the a31 "3.91 sure grip" the only none hemi superbee that comes with hemi suspension? Or was it installed on the 3.55 and 3.23 sure grip packages too?

Auto Transport Service
Back