• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly discovered photo reignites Amelia Earhart conspiracy theory

Really? When did that happen?

Next you'll be telling us that a Plymouth Superbird was washed out of it's garage during a hurricane and is now currently being restored.
Careful. You're going to restart that rumor.

But the Titanic is in the Atlantic. What missing item is in that region of the Pacific. Something sunk during WWII or could it really be Amelia’s plane ? I don’t know. Yes, it is a long way down, but again…that is the pacific. I am following this
A good chunk of the air battles of WW2 took place in the south pacific ocean......it's not hard to deduce that the aircraft could any one of a number of those planes.

At 5,000m down.....it really is a gamble on what it is.

It's not verified. They're raising funds to send a probe down and get photos. They're hoping to get the "tail number".
They wouldn't need a probe, just the funds. There are manned submersibles that will go to the bottom of the Pacific. Limiting Factor, the name of the submersible built by Triton Submarines and properly certified, has gone to the very bottom of the Marianas Trench, at a depth of 35,839 ft. The explorer Victor Vescovo has done this dive eight times, so the examination of that aircraft wreckage would be well withing range.

Also, James Cameron dove down with the Deep Sea Challenger sub to the bottom of the trench and poked around down there for several hours. His dive was the first solo effort to go down that far.

They wouldn't need a probe, just the funds. There are manned submersibles that will go to the bottom of the Pacific. Limiting Factor, the name of the submersible built by Triton Submarines and properly certified, has gone to the very bottom of the Marianas Trench, at a depth of 35,839 ft. The explorer Victor Vescovo has done this dive eight times, so the examination of that aircraft wreckage would be well withing range.

Also, James Cameron dove down with the Deep Sea Challenger sub to the bottom of the trench and poked around down there for several hours. His dive was the first solo effort to go down that far.
That's what I was thinking of when I said probe, an unmanned submersible vehicle with cameras.

Really? When did that happen?

Next you'll be telling us that a Plymouth Superbird was washed out of it's garage during a hurricane and is now currently being restored.
When? June (2023). Superbird? Didn’t hear about that. Heard something about a Buick

A good chunk or the air battles of WW2 took place in the south pacific ocean......it's not hard to deduce that the aircraft could any one of a number of those planes.

At 5,000m down.....it really is a gamble on what it is.
There were no swept wing aircraft fighting on the south Pacific. Swept wings came into being in the early 50's. I seriously doubt that is anything WW2 or prior.

View attachment 443410
In my opinion,
On their "Last Leg" of the journey:
She was definitely on a "Reconnaissance mission" with her Navigator Fred Noonan
This past year I have read numerous books on the So Pacific campaign.
Her flight path was conspicuously similar to Japanese buildup in the So Pac

View attachment 443411
Problem is most of that leg of the flight was at night. Kind of difficult to do reconnaissance at night in 1937. Also, the aircraft was stripped bare at Lae. This is well documented by Earhart and testimony from the station manager at Lae.
At each stop on her world fight, Amelia would send correspondence to the US for news reports and telegram her husband (Putnam). Anything that wasn't riveted to the plane was removed. Including all of Noonan's charts from the previous legs. She was very concerned to get the maximum range for that leg of the flight. Less weight = more range.

Last edited:
This photo has actually been authenticated....
I had heard of a rumor 35 years ago that "they" may have been captured and taken prisoner
This looks to be the proof
That has been confirmed as a Lockheed Electra on the barge.
She would have to have changed clothes. There is film footage of her and Noonan boarding the Electra at Lae, New Guinea. Clothes in the photo don't match.

Auto Transport Service
Back