• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No spark from coil, AGAIN

devonhealth

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
Have 426 Hemi (2G) new. Originally had drop in MSD, worked perfectly. After a few months, it stopped working completely. No spark from coil. Found out that distributor electronics inside of it were fryed. Put in new Pertronix, ran great. This week, same thing happened. No spark from coil. Sounds like the same thing might have happened inside the distributor. Using no ballast resistor. There couldn't be any kind of electrical "spike" causing this to happen could there??? Any ideas? Thanks!

Are you running a MSD box? You will need one or something simular to eliminate the resistor.

You don't need a MSD box to run a Pertronix system...

It must be your engine. I am willing to trade you straight across for a monster 225 leaning tower of power to help you out. :laughing1:

I had similar issues on a Datsun with the pertronix ignition. After replacing the distributor module for the third time I finally isolated the problem to the ignition switch. Apparently even with the ignition in the "off" position there was still 12+ volts getting the the ignition module and slowly cooking it.

It must be your engine. I am willing to trade you straight across for a monster 225 leaning tower of power to help you out. :laughing1:

I had similar issues on a Datsun with the pertronix ignition. After replacing the distributor module for the third time I finally isolated the problem to the ignition switch. Apparently even with the ignition in the "off" position there was still 12+ volts getting the the ignition module and slowly cooking it.

Damn Jim, you should have offered him 2-225's, at least he would have ended up with 450 cu.in.!:laughing1:

Will see if any problems with ignition switch, good point....if it doesn't pan out, I'll trade you for the 2- 225's!!!

Have 426 Hemi (2G) new. Originally had drop in MSD, worked perfectly. After a few months, it stopped working completely. No spark from coil. Found out that distributor electronics inside of it were fryed. Put in new Pertronix, ran great. This week, same thing happened. No spark from coil. Sounds like the same thing might have happened inside the distributor. Using no ballast resistor. There couldn't be any kind of electrical "spike" causing this to happen could there??? Any ideas? Thanks!

You should be using a ballast resistor! start there.

Im not that up on MSD and how it works, what you need, but this sounds like the old days when some would by pass the ballast resister and fry points... the resister gives you a full 12 volts to start the car, when its in run position it cuts it back to around 7 volts. If there's something with the system you run that eliminates the need for the resister id make sure its working right.

You should be using a ballast resistor! start there.

According to Pertronix......

Bob,

With the Ignitor II it can be set it up either way. For the best results we
suggest no resister.

Marvin Grebow Jr.
PerTronix Inc.
Technical Department
909-273-6006
[email protected]

it depends on the coil and if it can handle 12volts constant. older ones couldnt so ballast were used to save coils. some new coils are made to handle the 12 and run like junk with the resistor in place. im not sure how its set up with your distributer but if its got a pickup coil you might start there. i chased that for weeks now but the rusty is trusty again. if you take of the dist cap and rotor you should snap a quick picture for us to look at what your setup is.

Found out the coil and the module in the distributor were burnt out, again. Replaced both, of course runs good now, but for how long?????? One thing I did remember is that I had the ignition switch on the hot "on" position for a period of time while working on the electrical system over the past year. I did see a warning in the Pertronix instructions NOT to have key on the run position. I guess this is true with the MSD also if this is what actually burnt out these systems. Just doesn't sound right but I guess we'll see what happens........Thanks

Darn ... I had that 225 all packaged up and ready for shipping.

According to the sales propaganda the newer Pertonix modules are supposed to be "smart" enough to shut themselves off if the ignition switch is on too long without the engine running ...

PUT THE DUAL POINT BACK IN WITH THE BALLAST RESISTOR ..... i hear nothing but horror stories about using after market ignition systems.

Weird, Have you tried using the ballast resistor yet? I run the MSD 6AL and MSD coil, mech advance dizzy with no resistor also run a new alt with internal regulator so no need for resistor or voltage reg anymore and have no issues and great starts.

Here is some reading for you -

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/coil.htm

Auto Transport Service
Back