• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a Mopar but what a bummer

I get it,they sometimes need to be driven but call the owner and say it’s time for a drive come on down and let’s get it wrapped up.

The dealership is on the hook for damages, period.

No-start.

Clutch switch.

Swap the switch. Does it start? Yes? Job done. Call customer.

Can't wait to see the flight data. Shift points, throttle position logs, all that fun stuff.

Sucks the guy won't ever get that car back though.

What part of don't drive the the car did you not understand? Yeah, your gonna pay me the value but that doesn't replace a low mile collectable... The owner respected the car, didn't trash it... Why couldn't the dealership monkeys?

The car gets replaced with the EXACT CAR, with LESS mileage, as a first step, if the dealer has to pay $150k for it, so be it.
THEN we start talking about a settlement in addition, to avoid a lawsuit for punitive damages.
(According to the article, they are already being sued for compensation and punitive damages).

This happens a lot more then people think, it just usually doesn't end up like this.
Still, not sure how the thought the owner wouldn't notice the odometer that hadn't rolled 1000 yet.

Not of the same caliber of course, but my '13 Charger has two trip odometers. I dropped it off at local tire shop I have gone to for years to find the old guys had finally retired from the counter.
I had new tires put on. I reset one trip odometer to zero, but not the other. I wrote that one down.
I pick my car up. One trip odometer is at 2.3 miles. Huh.
So I do the math on the other. 17 miles.

So I went back in and asked why they drove my car around, new lady says they needed to reset the tire pressure sensors. I asked how much driving that took. She says less then a mile.
So I asked her why one odometer says 2.2. She didn;t know.
Then I told her the other said 17, and asked WTF were the techs doing in my car. Blank stares. I asked where they went and why. No answer. At this point she was probably concerned the 300lb man was going to act rashly as she flushed a bit. I waited for the silence to last long enough to be really awkward for her and then turned and left.

People do not have respect for other's property much any more. Too much entitlement. Too much free hand outs and talk about how if someone has two nickles to rub together they should feel obligated to share them. No respect for the work involved to aquire something nice.
I am not a rich man. In fact I had a total of 8 years of loan on that car just to buy it. I am still forced to zen out when I think about this incident. If someone would have wrecked my car I am pretty sure I would be in jail and someone else would be missing a limb.
I have no idea how this guy with a 100k special edition car kept his cool. I hope whatever state he is in allows him to get enough to buy two replacements. I hope that dealership's insurance goes into the strotosphere and they get to pay for their negligence in vetting their employees for years to come.
What a rage inducing event.

This is the reason I go out of my way to have only friends work on my cars for dealer issues , tires and alignments ... my wife doesn’t like it sometimes,all the extra drive time but I know it’s safe.

Last edited:
This is the reason I go out of my way to have only friends work on my cars for dealer issues , tires and alignments ... my wife doesn’t like it sometimes,all the extra drive time but I know it’s safe.
I have friends do the work on my vehicles. And I know even my best friend wouldn't do a burnout in my vehicle unless I told him to.

My father bought a used vehicle from Japan a few years ago - a Suzuki special edition turbo thing. Quite potent and not many on the road here. He took it to a garage he had used in the past for some minor service work. He also noted the mileage down before dropping it off. When he picked the vehicle up a fw days later he was surprised to find an extra 200 'ish miles on the clock.......and a week later a speeding ticket.

He confronted the garage owner and found out that an employee had taken the vehicle out of town (to Hamilton) for a weekend jaunt with his girlfriend. My father was furious, and he didn't say exactly which words he used - or in which order, but the garage owner was left to pick up the pieces. He can make someone feel pretty damn small if he sets his mind to it.

I’m the same way... nicest guy until you piss me off... good indicator is my ears start turning beat red. I’ve noticed my threshold for BS is very short as I’ve gotten older that includes working for some one .. I don’t like drama!

At a GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Isuzu/Subaru dealer I worked at, parts, in the early 90's they had an incident not long before I started there. A customer brings in his new extended cab GMC dually for its first oil service. It's a waiter too, customer is in the lounge. Tech puts it up in the air to drop the oil, comes in to parts to get his filter. Walks back out and the truck is upside down on the cab between the lift posts. 2 post unit. Customer didn't blow a gasket, just said give him a call when his new truck arrives.

My 2015 Challenger R/T shaker a few years ago was in to the dealer because the backup camera had come unplugged and the car is under warranty. Simple job- open trunk lid, remove insulation pad and plug back in. I didn't get a call to come get the car later so I drop in to the dealer. I was told "we have good news and bad news." The good news is the camera had come unplugged. The bad news is your car was damaged." The technician had tried to get to the camera plug by prying off the spoiler. He really damaged the trunk lid. The car comes back from the body shop and I'm inspecting it. The tailight bezel is damaged. It got stuck and a prybar was used to removed it and cracked the bezel. $1200 to replace it after I complained to the manager as the service manager said "These things happen and we're not fixing it." Dealer fixed it. In the time it was being repaired, I needed a loaner car. I was told they didn't have any. I told them "see that Scatpak Challenger out there on the lot, that's my loaner car." When the manager found out what had happened (they didn't tell him at first), I got the Scatpak for a week to use. Here's some photos of the damaged trunk lid. The service rep actually told me that they could have glued the spoiler back on and not told me of the damage underneath. He was gone shortly after that.
Terry W.

Tail Light Bezel 2 (Medium).jpg

Deck Lid Damage 9-18-18 (Medium).jpg

The hire idiots to work for them as said idiot will work for that pay. QUALIFIED people cost more. Many dealers only look at how much they're making not what they're getting by having quality people working for them. Severely short sighted.

If I owned a 97k car and had to take it to a dealership, I wouldn't leave its side until the work was done.

This happens a lot more then people think, it just usually doesn't end up like this.
Restoration shop around Kenosha that I took my ride to (on a carrier) to do some tweaking they were highly purported to be able to do. Total failure(s) in all respects. My brother took me to pick up the car and got chatting with the ‘mechanic’ while I was up front discussing their ‘work’, he says to my brother, want to take a test ride with me? It was a Shelby stang. Test drive? This kid called a mechanic beat the crap out of it, redlining, missing a shift, etc. Made me wonder if he took my ride on a similar test.

Hard to believe this guy would take a stranger on such a ride with a customer’s rare and expensive vehicle.

At a GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Isuzu/Subaru dealer I worked at, parts, in the early 90's they had an incident not long before I started there. A customer brings in his new extended cab GMC dually for its first oil service. It's a waiter too, customer is in the lounge. Tech puts it up in the air to drop the oil, comes in to parts to get his filter. Walks back out and the truck is upside down on the cab between the lift posts. 2 post unit. Customer didn't blow a gasket, just said give him a call when his new truck arrives.
Well, really in a way that tech may have caused the problem but at the same time what a lucky SOB he wasn't taking the oil plug out when it came down.
If I was the truck owner, I think something like this would not make me as angry as the decietful BS from some of the other stories in this thread. Accidents happen, not like the dealer was going to lie about what happened with that truck LOL.
Now, Terrywalker's post above, OOOOOhhhhhhh, now that is rip your finger off worthy.

It amazes me sometimes how the dealerships think they are better off charging 150 bucks an hour and paying a tech like 16, when they end up with stuff like this going on. "Service" department. Yeah.

Auto Transport Service
Back