• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

one plug not firing

gtxrt

Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
number 3 spark plug not firing. changed plug changed plug wire and did a compression test. any ideals ? 440 engine.

Good compression, good wire, good plug. OK. Did you check the cap & rotor ? ( assuming the wire is not arcing to adjacent cable or metal )

Good compression, good wire, good plug. OK. Did you check the cap & rotor ? ( assuming the wire is not arcing to adjacent cable or metal )
what I just did was take the plug out and it was firing while I was watching it. so it must be running rich for some reason. I only had only 3 other plugs out so far and will have to check the rest. heading to go to work now. if the carb is too rich it should be more than 1 plug wet right ? seems it starts running bad after I get on it and then the plug is missing.

"so it must be running rich "... well, what color is the electrode ? You're stating an electrical issue then a fuel issue, without complete diagnosis. You're jumping to conclusions, and not providing enough information.

You didn't mention what ignition system you're running or even what engine. Basic information may help with a diagnosis. I had a 55 Chevy 265 and plugs would foul slightly. I changed to a Mallory dual point distributor and cured my problems. Electronic ignition wasn't available then like in the 70's. I'm talking early 60's.

You didn't mention what ignition system you're running or even what engine. Basic information may help with a diagnosis. I had a 55 Chevy 265 and plugs would foul slightly. I changed to a Mallory dual point distributor and cured my problems. Electronic ignition wasn't available then like in the 70's. I'm talking early 60's.
He says 440, but that's about all we know.

just came back in all the other plugs are good just the 3 plug is flooding out and not firing can see gas on the plug. mopar dist. small solid lifter cam. can't be ignition if the plug is firing when I am watching it fire ?

sorry trying to do these in a hurry before I go to work you know how it is going to work and thinking about your car not running right.

no oil just gas. .035 gap. i put a plug in the 3 cylinder, then took another plug put in the 3# plug wire and started the car and watched it had good spark.

Why I run all my plugs through a plug tester at 100 psi to verify spark.

Did you actually put a different plug into this cylinder to see if it runs?

Why I run all my plugs through a plug tester at 100 psi to verify spark.

Did you actually put a different plug into this cylinder to see if it runs?
yes two different ones plus the first one . can't have 3 bad plugs.

Sounds like oil fowled. It will have gas on it even if it's oil fowled. Time for a compression test. Betting that #3 is down a bit. Could be a broken ring? Time to start digging deeper if it's a high mile 440. JMO ruffcut

Sounds like oil fowled. It will have gas on it even if it's oil fowled. Time for a compression test. Betting that #3 is down a bit. Could be a broken ring? Time to start digging deeper if it's a high mile 440. JMO ruffcut
i will check again the oil would have to be clean looking it is not black looking. that would make sense oil fouled or if not then valves. how would i tell if it oil and not gas ?

You said you checked compression and that ruled out a bad lobe I thought.. maybe not

it will run good for a short time with a fresh plug but the more i can on it then it fowls. i can check the lash it is a solid lifter cam. if i ring was bad it it should be smoking out the tail pipe right ? i rebuilt the engine about 1500 miles ago but that was eight years ago i just bought the car back and put about 500 miles on it it was fine. my friend i sold it to and bought back from only put 200 miles on it in eight years.

If it's a shiny wet black more likely than not it's oil. Too much fuel on a healthy cylinder will be a flat, dry, sooty black. Get a picture.

Auto Transport Service
Back