• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PBS- Vietnam by Ken Burns

https://www.army.mil/article/80071/vietnam_40_years_later_101st_airborne_division_veteran_recalls_ripcord_battle
ripcord-640x528.jpg

The more I watch this series, the more I realize what a mistake it was to be there in the first place and what a waste it was to stay so long, but then, hindsight is always 20/20. It's just a shame that so many good guys had to die for a mistake.
Among those brave soldiers who did not survive, was my best high school friend ...my Son is named after him. He left behind, a very young wife and a baby daughter........................MO

Thanks for the "Thank you", but a hero I am not. Never did anything heroic. Just did my job like many thousands of others and in the end, my luck ran out (like many thousands of others) when I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tried to watch it last night, but I saw that play up of John McCain and had to shut it off. Tortured my ***.

Tried to watch it last night, but I saw that play up of John McCain and had to shut it off. Tortured my ***.
That's kinda what I was worried about.
John Kerry's tribute is next
Those two may as well have been carrying AKs wearing rice hats IMO

c'mon, guys.

They showed the footage the NVA filmed, then had about 15 sec of commentary where they quoted him as saying he was beaten because he wasn't gracious enough to his captors/rescuers.

Hardly a glowing political endorsement.

What this is showing me is that the US thought that high tech could win a very low tech war and that the NV were one step ahead of us the entire time, especially with the big picture.

This should be a primer for the messes we've gotten into more recently since some of the same circumstances hold true, such as no clear objectives and hearts and minds of the people.

Sadly, it looks like at least some lessons remain unlearned.

ignore those two *** hole we no the true them both Fn turds

You got a bigger pic or link to that deployment map?

That footage of Walter Cronkite with the model/topo map was interesting.

I was also not aware that we backed eight different regimes during the first 5 years of major involvement.

Auto Transport Service
Back