• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help before i burn my car to the ground

OK after exams, Army stuff and a wife and two kids; i got a minuet to look at my car. So what i found is that the car will start if you press the wiper switch, yes i said the wiper switch. I was testing if the wipers and washer pump work and the car started. I am lost, it's a new harness from front to back, after exams i am going to deep dive the wiring harness again. If anyone has herd of this please chime in; when the car is running you can here the relay in side the wiper switch click back and forth.

My car won't turn over unless the heater motor is turned on. One more theft deterrent.

You need the wiring diagram for the car and start checking every thing as you or them have hooked up some thing or things wrong

OK after calling the guys over at M@H Electric, i found out that my headlamp harness is from a 73 b body, mine is a 74. According to M@H, i need to buy a 74 harness for my car if i want it to start. He also brought up the seat belt relay, not sure what to do about that; i am not sure what year car my seat came from. So after x mass, i am going to replace the headlamp harness; if anyone has any ideas on how to jump or set up the seat belt relay please me no.

Elis, did you replace your headlight / high/low beam foot switch generally this is the one that will stop your headlights from working? Also sometimes over the years the wiring to this switch under the carpet gets worn and will break or ground out causing similar problems, this can be remedied with a new small connecting harness (inexpensive) that connects to this switch, Best wishes! CD

OK after calling the guys over at M@H Electric, i found out that my headlamp harness is from a 73 b body, mine is a 74. According to M@H, i need to buy a 74 harness for my car if i want it to start. He also brought up the seat belt relay, not sure what to do about that; i am not sure what year car my seat came from. So after x mass, i am going to replace the headlamp harness; if anyone has any ideas on how to jump or set up the seat belt relay please me no.

Not sure I buy the harness thing. Seatbelt relay, ok, maybe.

Put your head lamps on a relay, Smarter way to go if your all ready there!

Not sure I buy the harness thing. Seatbelt relay, ok, maybe.
If you were around those days, like I was, you'll recall the govt mandated a seat-belt interlock system that prevented starting the car unless the belt was fastened... it was a horror show... I know... we used to bypass the crap on customers cars

I had that problem on my 70 belvedere it was the main ign harness just above the brake pedal the red wire was fried at the plastic square connector.

If you were around those days, like I was, you'll recall the govt mandated a seat-belt interlock system that prevented starting the car unless the belt was fastened... it was a horror show... I know... we used to bypass the crap on customers cars

Absolutely, i know my reply was poorly written, but yeah, i could see that being the issue and would definitely track that down. As far as replacing a harness, no way i'd waste the money. If it were the harness, we're likely talking about 1 fried wire like mrstock mentioned that can easily be traced and replaced. Or atleast traced, confirmed the harness is the issue and then replace the harness.

Car starts at the key, yes fireworks went off and angels came done from heaven; i have to hit the button on top of the seat belt relay to make a circuit for the car to start. Thank you all for your help, if i can return the favor i will. Looks like once this is bypassed i will be good to go.

Ok for my next adventure i have to bypass the seat belt interlock module. The guy at M@H Ele told me i could not bypass the interlock with out the module, not sure what to do next; i found one on e bay for $80. Is it worth it to just get all the parts for the interlock system or is there a way to bypass it without the module.

I wish I could tell you how, we had a guy Freddy in the garage who knew how to do it.

Disconnect the bulkhead connectors and inspect. Make sure all male blades are same length. Then clean, add dielectric, and reseat ( make sure you seat them real good).

I don't want to really put a damper on your situation as these types of problems can be nothing but an *** pain. I am not familiar with Classic Industries offerings for replacement harnesses. That is because there is only one type of OEM reproductions that I would recommend to use...M&H harness sold exclusively through Year One. Price? You bet they are expensive!!! However, the cost in blood pressure and stress is far more greater with the other offerings out there than with the M&H. Basically a plug n play set up and after a few little bugs they work like a champ. With the addition of the MAD Electric Ammeter bypass, and some headlight relays wired in, you shouldn't have any issues. So now you have what you have. What to do? Get yourself a color wiring schematic for your car and along with the FSM...Factory Service Manual...go through each circuit and path and make sure that all is hooked up accordingly and color coded correctly. It sucks I know, but when it comes to the electrical aspects of any type of machine, it must be done right the first time otherwise you will be experiencing exactly what your are. It is just possible that your harnesses were not built correctly and you have the wrong circuits wired incorrectly via the color codes. Good luck and I know most here including myself will gladly help you get through this. It ain't any fun...DAMHIK...cr8crshr/Tuck

I got out the new M&H harnesses I got from Year One to look at them today. The dash harness appears to have the whole fuse block and all three bulk head connectors and the engine and front lighting harness only seems to have two bulkhead connector. I have not started on this yet as car is at the painter, but am not sure what is the third bulkhead connector on the engine side of the bulkhead. I assumed these two would replace everything that ran through the bulkhead. I also thought this would be a simple unplug old and plug in new as you go, but the instructions say the first thing is to lay out and compare both old and new harnesses and make sure the wires are the same length and connectors are the same and to call M&H is they are not. I would not expect this to be an issue, but it looks like it might be, even with M&H.

Auto Transport Service
Back