• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plymouth has been gone too long

Had my '65 Rambler Marlin out today and was in a parking lot talking to my mechanic. 2 guys roll in and park about 6 spaces away (social distancing?) with a beater car and ask what year? I say "65". "Who made it" they ask. "AMC" I say. "Who made AMC?" they asked. I said "AMC". "Never heard of them" they said as they left.

At least with my '51 Plymouth if somebody knows anything about cars they know Plymouth was a brand.

I guess being a car guy growing up until now, I tend to take a lot for granted like brands, models and years of cars. Of course back in the day, I hung out with car guys and we all spoke the same language cars. Nowadays it seems there is a seemingly growing population of younger people interested in cars but they don't a lot, but then again I suspect the older generation before me probably said the same thing. I have had I don't know how many people call my 70 Challenger a charger.

When younger guys are curious I'm glad at least they are not staring at a video game.

The guy who had "one just like it in highschool with a boss 454 6pk hemi" I find amusing.

The only ones who really annoy me are lonely old guys who think I'm their best friend and want to talk to me for half the day.

Truthfully I really have zero interest in cars built before the 60's. If you took the emblems off of them I probably couldn't identify half of them. So considering that, I'm not surprised or offended when a young guy in a modern muscle car doesn't know what a Belvedere is.

I went to an Advanced Auto yesterday to check on getting some front rotors for my 73 Roadrunner. All I told him was front discs for 73 Roadrunner with a 340. With the 6 foot rule I could only see the counter guy pecking away on the keyboard. He finally looked up and said, "Dodge right? Dodge made the Roadrunner but I can't find it". Keep looking pal, just keep looking.

Ya got car guys, then half interested car guys, then some who know only enough to steer and brake it. During my career for a time I was part of an executive staff surrounded by guys who likely never picked up a hand tool in their lives. I bought my '63 Plymouth during that time, a pretty nice CA car I eventually restored years later. I drove it to the office on occasion leaving my new Eagle Vision (company car) at home. I got some snide remarks asking me why I would want to drive an old car like that. Well, I'd already been through a few water cooler chats with these guys who spent their weekends watching college basketball games while I was working in my shop at home on one fix it or another. One time I mentioned rebuilding our washing machine that cost me 10 bucks in parts and a few hours of time on a Saturday when they were likely glued to their TV's. They were unimpressed asking me why I didn't buy a new one or call to have it repaired. I replied "It's obvious you wouldn't understand so no need for me to waste our time to explain it to you". Funny though, as on occasion, I'd get a phone call from one of them at night or on a weekend when something went to **** in their house asking me what might be wrong...

Ya got car guys, then half interested car guys, then some who know only enough to steer and brake it. During my career for a time I was part of an executive staff surrounded by guys who likely never picked up a hand tool in their lives. I bought my '63 Plymouth during that time, a pretty nice CA car I eventually restored years later. I drove it to the office on occasion leaving my new Eagle Vision (company car) at home. I got some snide remarks asking me why I would want to drive an old car like that. Well, I'd already been through a few water cooler chats with these guys who spent their weekends watching college basketball games while I was working in my shop at home on one fix it or another. One time I mentioned rebuilding our washing machine that cost me 10 bucks in parts and a few hours of time on a Saturday when they were likely glued to their TV's. They were unimpressed asking me why I didn't buy a new one or call to have it repaired. I replied "It's obvious you wouldn't understand so no need for me to waste our time to explain it to you". Funny though, as on occasion, I'd get a phone call from one of them at night or on a weekend when something went to **** in their house asking me what might be wrong...
That sounds really familiar Ron. You took the words right out my mouth.

Mine's got all of the new bling!

View attachment 934031
I like Bling!

7.8.17 018.jpg 7.18.17 019.jpg 8.23.17 007.jpg 2af21612_vbattach8649.jpg 3.21.16 012.jpg 5.13.15 005.jpg

I work in a essential industry and have taken advantage of the lower gas prices and less idiots on the road by driving my Road Runner to and from work every Thursday and Friday.
I've got lots of stories to tell about some of the people you meet in traffic on a workday when driving an old MOPAR, but tonight was worth sharing with FBBO.
Was driving home from work and a first generation F150 LIGHTNING was trying to get around me. I was not trying to play games, but the traffic patterns were always keeping me ahead. I could tell he was trying to pass me, or come around, so I finally slowed down and went into the far right lane (three lane 45 MPH road).
The guy in the LIGHNTING finally comes up next to me at the red light. He takes off his seat belt and slides over to the passenger window and yelled "I've been racking my brains since I saw your car.…...WHO MADE PLYMOUTH???!!!???".

I replied "Chrysler".

He exclaimed "THATS IT!!!!!!" I would not have slept tonight without knowing this!!!"

Light turned green and the guy U Turned at the next intersection. Glad I could help.

Plymouth has been gone too long.

I had a guy chase me down many years ago while Driving my 64 Polara Ragtop and tell me "Nice car I thought Polaris only made snowmobiles"...

Pretty soon you’re going to have to have a trailer just for that massive power plant! That’s one behemoth....!
I have this car for almost 30 years.It's always been a street car as a track car is out of the question and budget. Ok,,,,,,it's a fast street car:rolleyes: Considering it still wears the original control arms and maybe torsion bars. Still a leaf spring but upgraded to Caltraks,good shocks and the engine I said I would have when I was 14 years old,it's the vision I had so now I have HEMI-ITIS & Carownersvirus and there is NO CURE!

3.21.12 (49).JPG

Dropped in to the local informal car meet tonight. It is in a Safeway shopping center and sometimes two people show, and other times it might be twenty two. Tonight was light as 4, or 5 cars where there with some coming and going.
I was checking out a new arrival 93 Mustang Police that someone had picked up cheap when I was motioned over by a friend of mine. It seems this lady passing through was asking permission to take photos of my car. I said sure go ahead and then she proceeded to tell me her father "only drove Plymouths". I asked what type, and she said "they were all Plymouths that is all I remember". I offered Duster, Fury, Valiant, etc and she said they did not sound familiar. Anyhow she took a few pictures and asked me some questions like year, where did I find it, etc and drove off in her Jeep Cherokee. I wonder if subliminally she drives a Jeep not really realizing it is a MOPAR?

plymouth2.jpg

I went to an Advanced Auto yesterday to check on getting some front rotors for my 73 Roadrunner. All I told him was front discs for 73 Roadrunner with a 340. With the 6 foot rule I could only see the counter guy pecking away on the keyboard. He finally looked up and said, "Dodge right? Dodge made the Roadrunner but I can't find it". Keep looking pal, just keep looking.
I'll give this young man some credit as he was close. I've had parts guy looking at AMC for the Road Runner.

IIRC Plymouth was still around when the first gen lightnings were built.

Auto Transport Service
Back