• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pollution controll 1967 ? CAP ?

will67Charger

Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
I hope the pic shows up!!! My Charger was delivered to S. A. Camp motors in Bakersfield California and on the build sheet it says "cleaner air package" and meets CA emissions.
I have owned the car for 44 plus years and still need to identify the equipment seen in the pic. I have seen other "CAP" systems with the green cone / spring and vacuum lines. This pic shows the majority of the parts of this system? running to exhaust manifold and to valve cover and to base of Carb also has a rectangular box on the fender that says
"Dana" P C Div with vacuum hook ups.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

EGR.jpg

I can’t answer your question but that’s some weird looking stuff you have hung on your engine. I’m doubtful that it is OEM, even for CAP, but I don’t know for sure. Curious to see what others say.

in 66 I bought new a Belvedere II, 426 Hemi, 4 speed from a dealer in Anaheim, CA. It took about 8 weeks to get the car but once received I had to grind the starter multiple times to get it started. Not wanting to touch the new 426 engine, I took it back to the dealer. The top tune-up guru @ the dealer, fiddled around with it but still no improvement. Deeper study disclosed Mopar was using some new emmission stuff even the dealers had no info on... :praying:
To cut to the chase, in 66 Mopar for CA cars inserted this vacuum solenoid/hoses between the intake and distributor, when starting it threw the distributor into some max retard position. Once realizing this, I stripped out the solenoid and hoses, took the distributor out for re-curving.. End of starting problems...

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

I hope the pic shows up!!! My Charger was delivered to S. A. Camp motors in Bakersfield California and on the build sheet it says "cleaner air package" and meets CA emissions.
I have owned the car for 44 plus years and still need to identify the equipment seen in the pic. I have seen other "CAP" systems with the green cone / spring and vacuum lines. This pic shows the majority of the parts of this system? running to exhaust manifold and to valve cover and to base of Carb also has a rectangular box on the fender that says
"Dana" P C Div with vacuum hook ups.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

View attachment 1713512
WHY NOT JUST PREFER to the FSM for your specific vehicle and engine combination. The FSM is very specific as to the various components, their placement, function and their settings as California cars are offen different from other the 49 states.........A/C cars also have additional equipment installed.....just my opinion......
BOB RENTON

I can’t answer your question but that’s some weird looking stuff you have hung on your engine. I’m doubtful that it is OEM, even for CAP, but I don’t know for sure. Curious to see what others say.
I hope someone from the west coast has seen this before! Midwest and east coast are clueless . If not OEM they drilled the cast iron exhaust manifold ! and did a nice job also on valve cover. No one in 44years has an answer ?? One Guy said he has taken them off of cars while parting them out. but no part ### Tech info or any 100% what it is???

All the stuff marked in red is aftermarket. There were a lot of aftermarket add on emission stuff sold in the mid 70's to get cars to pass smog.

2024-08-19_18-06-36.jpg

He's some other aftermarket emission stuff you find added onto California cars to get them to pass smog.

mvc-063s-jpg.1714590704

$_61.jpg

Last edited:
Not OEM as stated. Also for the comment about 66 Hemi. CA gave Mopar and exception in 66 for CAP. 66 Hemi were not emission cars with no add on stuff, unless a dealer decided to add it.

67 was the first year hemi became CAP. 68 all hemi (and all other engines) became CAP for all 50 states. Only 68 and 69 Hemi had the distributor emission valve. It never retarded ignition, just made a choice between Intake and ported carb vacuum depending on which was higher. This advanced timing.

I believe the valves were similar, but the hemi had the metal exit tube which was larger. The other cars and the add on kit mopar sold was a plastic exit tube. Bracket was definitely Hemi only. I am not 100 % on this, but believe that is correct.

EmissionControlValves2zzz.jpg

Hey all, Here is what the factory 1968-1969 426 HEMI CAP emission control valve looks like. Kocan

AB9AD8B0-69D2-44ED-A08D-E4A4F972608B_1_201_a.jpeg

B8CC0F98-A60A-477A-BF04-B010E0F0342C_1_201_a.jpeg

49465A1E-224F-4A82-865C-16A6C2442072_1_201_a.jpeg

DBCD24ED-91F3-436D-8868-8A5686DAF5C3.jpeg

I have had green and blue NOx reduction valves on a few cars. There are a few cars that had remnants of aftermarket vacuum advance control systems to reduce NOx emissions.

Typically, as stated above, these systems are setup to eseentially disable the vac advance until the car warms up. To top off the this ingenuous idea the OEM dictated that base timing be retarded as well.

i had a '66 Belvedere II convertible parts car that moved from NJ to So. CA sometime in the early 70's. It was fitted with a funny looking aftermarket vac control that was unlike the OEM units shown above.

The only other difference you can prove engine wise is if it is still wearing the C.A.P. OEM AFB. Also, a big block, non-A/C b body would get a 26" radiator from the factory if it was ordered in CA. I have owned two cars like this.

The last point of interest is that not every county in CA had emissions requirments like LA and San Bernadino counties. I am unsure if non C.A.R.B. controlled counties could order non C.A.P equipped cars.

Ca smog equipment on new cars was same for whole state. The testing was, may still be, different in some countries.

Just happen to go by this document telling which 1966 California cars got CAP

IMG_0201.jpeg

IMG_0202.jpeg

IMG_0200.jpeg

Just happen to go by this document telling which 1966 California cars got CAP

View attachment 1720918

View attachment 1720919

View attachment 1720920
Steve.. Thanx for posting that document confirming the 66 426 Hemi did have the CAP package. I bought my Belvedere II Hemi new from McPeek Plymouth in Anaheim, now his son has the Dodge dealer in Tustin. After taking delivery and having starting problems with the car being new I went back to McPeek for a closer check but apparently their tune-up tech didn't know what to do. I went home pulled off the control valve and took my distributor to Louie Unser's shop in Fullerton for recurving, after reinstalling never had any further starting issues.

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

That caught my eye too. But actually it lists the 426 4bbl and 440 4bbl.

I would think the Hemi would be listed 426 8bbl ?

That caught my eye too. But actually it lists the 426 4bbl and 440 4bbl.

I would think the Hemi would be listed 426 8bbl ?
Hmm..
Don't know the nitty gritty??
But I do recall the lead tech @McPeek didn't have a clue for a fix, he did call Mopar in Detroit but failed to get more info. Maybe because the hemi was so new and very few were sold in California. McPeek actually ordered (2) Hemi Belvederes, mine was a 4-speed the other was an automatic. Funny thing happened about (2) weeks after I picked up my car, the 2nd Hemi with automatic was stolen from McPeek, later found in a nearby orange citrus grove but its drivetrain was stripped out...:rolleyes: And then later about (2) months, a highly modified VW on a custom frame with a 426 hemi drivetrain showed up at one of our local cruise spots...

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

The owner since 1969 of my 1966 Hemi sold new in SoCal was the one that had that document in his archives.

I’ve got records of smogs until 1995. Mostly done at a place called Don and Harold’s in Long Beach. One time even had to go to a referee.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back