• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Porterfield brakes

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
I work part time at a auto parts store. Today a customer came in with a 1970 Chevelle and I jumped at the chance to help him.

After he purchased some detailing products I walked out to see his car. Anyway we talked about drum brakes and he mentioned Porterfield brakes. He claims the material is not harsh on the drums and the braking performance is noticably better.

I recall back in the day when I autocross my Shelby Charger people would praise Porterfield brakes.

They have shoes for my coronet at $99.

Anyone here have experience with Porterfield shoes?

Yep, that's what is on Fred right now - the result of a suggestion from Nick at Nick's Garage.
Here's my thread on the whole process I went through:
DRUM Brake Overhaul - Now, for something totally different...
They have a street compound and a race compound available - I chose street.

Now, honestly?
I'm not impressed with them. Other than being quiet and apparently well made, the bite just isn't there, to the point
that I've all but given up on drums in the front at all - and are now weighing options on the dreaded disc conversion.
Since the only source for NOS ones doesn't accept cards or PayPal, I can't do business with him sadly.
Good luck with whatever you choose, though.:thumbsup:

Thanks. You told me what I needed to hear.

Dr Diff will be getting my order soon.

Keep in mind I can't speak for Porterfields' "race" shoes - they may be grippier.
The customer rep I dealt with when I bought their shoes for all 4 corners was adamant in their
recommendation I not do that, however - so I didn't.

I'd like to keep up with you on that endeavor if I may?
I think I'm right behind you on that decision...

Auto Transport Service
Back