• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible problem with 8 3/4 rear end.....

bob32268

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
I had my 69 Charger rear on jackstands with trans in neutral. Had a very hard time turning the rear wheels forward, almost impossible to turn them in reverse... Shouldn't they be more easily moved both forward
and reverse ? Any ideas on how to handle this problem ?
tks,
Bob32268

At our age?? Everything is more difficult. The rears are not near as easy as the fronts. Believe me,just adjusted my manual brakes the other day. The sure-grip means you’re moving both tires also.

Auto or manual? If Auto your turning a lot more than the axle... Disconnect the driveshaft & try again...

Auto or manual? If Auto your turning a lot more than the axle... Disconnect the driveshaft & try again...
It's an auto, 727, If I disconnect the driveshaft and the rear wheels move easily; does mean there may be a problem in the tranny ?
Tks,
Bob32268

It's an auto, 727, If I disconnect the driveshaft and the rear wheels move easily; does mean there may be a problem in the tranny ?
Tks,
Bob32268
Read post 7 Normal... You're over thinking it... We all do it.. Relax...

Read post 7 Normal... You're over thinking it... We all do it.. Relax...
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated. On a 727 with driveshaft connected to rear-end is it "normal" for the wheels to be hard move forward ?
Tks again,
Bob32268

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated. On a 727 with driveshaft connected to rear-end is it "normal" for the wheels to be hard move forward ?
Tks again,
Bob32268
If you have SureGrip, you are turning both wheels, plus most of the guts in the transmission. As others have said, harder to turn backwards because of one-way (sprag) clutch in transmission. NORMAL!

If you have SureGrip, you are turning both wheels, plus most of the guts in the transmission. As others have said, harder to turn backwards because of one-way (sprag) clutch in transmission. NORMAL!
Thanks Dave, glad to hear this is normal for a 727.
Bob32268

Auto Transport Service
Back