• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Preference on Tires?

My experience with street tires. And if I was to use a grading scale of 1-5. (Performance for a muscle car is traction. Not just from standing start. But cornering. The tire that holds line and squeals least? Wins!)

Goodyear Eagle brand.
Performance 5
Price 1
Durability 2
Total score 8

BF Goodrich T/A
Performance 4
Price 3
Durability 3
Total score 10

Cooper Cobra
Performance 3
Price 4
Durability 4
Total score 11

I have been pleasantly surprised by Cooper Cobra. And believe it's the best tire for the price. I also understand that this is a moving target as new compounds and technologies are introduced. Thus this is just my today's opinion.
so 1 is worst and 5 is best?
I've always heard the Goodyear Eagle 15" tires have poor traction, so I'm surprised you rank these higher than the Coopers. I previously ran BFG Radial T/A's and they had worse traction than my current Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, which are very similar to Cooper Cobras in all aspects of performance and price. They're pretty decent, but I'd like more traction, which is not easy to find in a 15" diameter street tire.

I've recently been looking at Vitour Galaxy R1 G/T. They are RWL tires and most of the sizes for this tire are V-rated and softer (better traction) than Cooper Cobras.
https://www.performanceplustire.com/app/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires

Galaxy R1 G/T Passenger All Season Tire - 245/60R15 101V​

Manufacturer Part Number: 7071307
Speed Rating: V
Load Index: 101
Tire Category: Passenger All Season
Section Width: 245
Diameter: 15
UTQG: 400-A-A
Tire Construction: Radial
Speed Rating: 149 mph
Size Short: 245/60-15
Size Long:245/60R15 101V
Our price: $139.00

so 1 is worst and 5 is best?
I've always heard the Goodyear Eagle 15" tires have poor traction, so I'm surprised you rank these higher than the Coopers. I previously ran BFG Radial T/A's and they had worse traction than my current Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, which are very similar to Cooper Cobras in all aspects of performance and price. They're pretty decent, but I'd like more traction, which is not easy to find in a 15" diameter street tire.

I've recently been looking at Vitour Galaxy R1 G/T. They are RWL tires and most of the sizes for this tire are V-rated and softer (better traction) than Cooper Cobras.
https://www.performanceplustire.com/app/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires

Galaxy R1 G/T Passenger All Season Tire - 245/60R15 101V​

Manufacturer Part Number: 7071307
Speed Rating: V
Load Index: 101
Tire Category: Passenger All Season
Section Width: 245
Diameter: 15
UTQG: 400-A-A
Tire Construction: Radial
Speed Rating: 149 mph
Size Short: 245/60-15
Size Long:245/60R15 101V
Our price: $139.00
Yes. I didn't want low score to be winner. And yes, these are just of 3 popular brands. There are several others that have very decent product.

There is a prejudice against some new(er) type tire platforms on muscle era cars. Nitto is one that looks sharp and performs well on tuner cars. But not for B-body Mopars.

JMO

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back