• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progress report, Junkyard Dog

Once I was happy with that fix it was on to the next because this quarter was all tweaked out of shape. I needed to shrink the back window opening by a half an inch to match the Drivers side. Restoring a car in your buddies collision shop does come with some advantages, like not having to Macgyver some crazy body jack together out of carpenters clamps and tools as I would have had to do if I were still working on the "DOG" in my shop. (Allthough I do enjoy the Macgyver method equally) Once it was squeezed together where it should be I tacked it in place in the window channel to hold it and doublechecked the c-pillar transition that I had just beat into shape with the template and found that it required another beating. Next step is to weld the deck filler panel to the package tray along with all of the little parts that stack up to form the lower rear window corners. The first pic is what the c-pillar looked like after the beat down, it is amazing how hard you can hit these parts without absolutely destroying them!

Attachments

• IMG_6214_1.JPG
    IMG_6214_1.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_6215_2.JPG
    IMG_6215_2.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_6216_3.JPG
    IMG_6216_3.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 839
Wow.... Crazy amount of fit up work on those quarters Matt

Yeah I know, just my luck to get stuck with some one off mutant prototypes! Remember that I bought these things over 3 years ago, I'm thinking prior to AMD working out some of the bugs on these full quarters.

Time for my weekly update! Started assembling the lower rear window corners. Pictures should tell the story on these. Installed both sides. I don't think these are being repopped yet and I was lucky enough to salvage these from a past doner car. Next week I will put the smaller AMD pieces that fit between these and the window channel of the full quarter and hopefully the filler panel.

Attachments

• IMG_6224_4.jpg
    IMG_6224_4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_6225_5.jpg
    IMG_6225_5.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_6231_9.jpg
    IMG_6231_9.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_6226_6.jpg
    IMG_6226_6.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_6227_7.jpg
    IMG_6227_7.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_6228_8.jpg
    IMG_6228_8.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 757
Hey Matt, do ya hunt at all?

I am not a hunter. I was never exposed to it as a kid, a little fishin' but never hunting. As I got older and became a carpenter I had more opportunities to try it out as I became good friends with a lot of guys that I worked with that were avid hunters. Still never got into it though, I quickly figured out that when every tradesmen in the Detroit area made there way north and west to hunt that there was some good money to be made in there absence, so that is what I chose to do. I do love being out in the woods though, used to do a lot of camping and hiking:icon_weed: and some mountain bike racing.

Cool.

We do some camping too, canoe trip tent type camping. We are taking our kids and a couple of extended family kids on a boundary waters canoe camping trip in June.

Are you taking easter off or are you grinding away on the JYD today?

I might hang quarters today, at least get them tacked on. See how it goes I guess.

Easter off as far as JYD action, buddies bodyshop where it's at is closed on Sundays and I have a couple of big furniture projects going in my shop so there is no room to work on any of the "DOG"s parts. Also going over to my parents house for a hang with the family in a little while. Your trip to the Bounbary Waters sounds fantastic, I hope it warms up by then...
I am envious that you can go out in your own garage right now to work on the Hippy Bird, It's been almost a year since I took the "DOG" to my buddies shop and since then I have had relatively little time to work on it. I'm sure it would allready be painted if I could have been working on it as much as I did when it was in my shop.

These projects have a way of finding their own pace.

I worked on hippie bird today but man it wrung me the hell out.

Like Lack says in the shining... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

:grin:

I just read through the whole thread and it's Amazing! You do great work with lots of attention to detail.

I also liked the pics of the buildings that you worked on. I have always been into alternative housing and my final house will be a thin shell concrete dome.

Your project will turn heads in that blue paint!

I am North of Ionia. (North West of Lansing)

Matt, BBQ sauce en route, sorry about the delay...my fault, been swamped with stuff!

From Rudy's Donny??? Ohhhhh you're gonna love that stuff Matt. No way us northern boys can find sauce like that up here.

Is this becoming a new FBBO tradition?

Thanks Donny, just ran out of Open Pit last weekend and I wasn't sure if I needed to pop for some more! Looking forward to it. How does it compare to the Ironworks BBQ in Austin, near the convention center? Been there?
I'll trade little leftover scraps from the "DOG" for stuff I can't get here in MI anytime!

Make it over to Detroit for any of the summer cruises?

Not yet; I have been too busy with work and family to have any real fun yet! I have done the 28th street cruise in Grand Rapids a couple times.
No that I am 40, single, slowing down, and sold my business the fun will start.....I think!

Not yet; I have been too busy with work and family to have any real fun yet! I have done the 28th street cruise in Grand Rapids a couple times.
No that I am 40, single, slowing down, and sold my business the fun will start.....I think!

40 and slowing down? I'm 41 and have no plan to slow down, but I love what I do and plan on doing it right through my retirement. I will spend more time with the cars though, I hope.
What was your buisiness?
You gotta come out for some cruises and a tour of the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, it's awesome!

Auto Transport Service
Back