• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progress report, Junkyard Dog

Nothing major to report on from this weekend. I welded in the last 2 parts of those rear window corners and got myself a couple hours closer to paint.

Matt,
As with Prop's thread, I've been lurking in this thread. You are no less an artist than Prop and Donny et al...
Just wanted to chip in my support and thanks for all the info you put in this forum for others.
Know, that more people than you know of, surely read and admire what you gents do.
I just wanted to say hi and WOW, great job!!

Daryn

I agree Daryn, Matt's a freaking wizard with "The Dog". From fabrication of Jigzilla, replacement of the whole rear of the car as well as the delicate surgery on the cursed prototype quarters, it takes some really serious craftsmanship/talent to pull off such endeavour's.

Hats off to ya!! :tiphat:

You guys are too kind! I do enjoy the hell out of it, just wish I had a little more time for it lately.

Paging Matt.........Paging Matt......... Please come to the front office, your car wants to speak with you..

Just stumbled in here to dust things off a bit and recieved a concussion from being pelted with tumbleweeds. You must be a busy man at the old 9-5...

Wave the wand and let's see some action on the ol' Dog buddy!

Paging Matt.........Paging Matt......... Please come to the front office, your car wants to speak with you..

Just stumbled in here to dust things off a bit and recieved a concussion from being pelted with tumbleweeds. You must be a busy man at the old 9-5...

Wave the wand and let's see some action on the ol' Dog buddy!

LMAO! I'm pretty sure the "DOG" stopped speaking to me for lack of progress!
I hate to be the one to piss and moan about being too busy with paying clients, everyone should have that problem, but I am getting frustrated that I haven't been able to make it over there to blow the dust off of him. Not even sure when I'll make it down to work on him again and I'm too close to being ready for finish bodywork and paint to pull him out of there so I can spend more night and weekend time in my shop. Getting close to hiring the rest of the bodywork done....

Well I guess it all boils down to the old saying, "you gotta make money to spend it." Good to hear a fella staying so busy these days..You got half of Detroit relying on your taxes you know...

I do have some pretty kool projects going on and since I don't have much to report on with the "DOG" maybe I'll start posting some paying project pics. Building a very sweet forged steel w/walnut top dining room table right now, I will post pics of that one when finished. Seriously considering starting on one of the other projects in my shop, maybe I'll start on the Challenger or the Coronet.

The table sounds cool!

It would look great in my old barn that one day I will convert into a house.

The table sounds cool!

It would look great in my old barn that one day I will convert into a house.

Here are a couple of pics of the table, should be finished next week.
IMG_6285.gif

IMG_6286.gif

IMG_6291.gif

The top is solid black walnut, over an inch thick and the table measures 39" X10'

Looks real nice Matt! Black Walnut....ChaaaChingggg$$$$ Beautiful wood. Sure don't see much furniture made with it any more. Maybe Bill Gates place.

Thanks Prop! Here are a few more with the top. I bought the walnut in it's rough but dry form as 6/4 and milled it down and jointed it with a continueous dovetail and it wasn't cheap but not crazy in relation to the cost of the table, about $550.

IMG_6305.gif

IMG_6306.gif

IMG_6309.gif

IMG_6312.gif

Table looks great!

That sliding dovetail is awesome......I bought a machine just for it, years ago, and never got around to using it. It is a strong joint.

Question.. Is there a market for old barn wood?

I have a couple old barns I need to do something with. I also have a few hand hewed logs that have never been used....Just sitting in the loft.

Table looks great!

That sliding dovetail is awesome......I bought a machine just for it, years ago, and never got around to using it. It is a strong joint.

Question.. Is there a market for old barn wood?

I have a couple old barns I need to do something with. I also have a few hand hewed logs that have never been used....Just sitting in the loft.

Thanks guys!
I didn't know there was a machine for a continueous dovetail, I made up a series of jigs and fixtures to slide the boards through.
Old barn wood is very desireable, any old growth lumber for that matter. Do you know what kind of wood it is?

I am not experienced enough to know what wood it is by looking at it.
I do know the 2 logs are extremely heavy.
Beams no clue. Siding is T & G. Both barns were built around 1880.

The machine I was referring too is a Hawk router table. The back flips up vertical with the router and makes doing sliding dovetails easier.
I never even hooked up a router to it; I got too busy. I had designed a product and it would have taken me less time and money to do dovetails instead of screwing them together.

old barn lumber rules!

out at my cabin where all the intelligent stuff happens...

100_2501.jpg

We put up these 120+ yr old bard boards on the walls.

100_2250.jpg

Picture168.jpg

100_1832.jpg

100_1454.jpg

100_1397-1.jpg

sorry, too many pics, sorry bout that.

NorthernDave

Those are cool pics and the timing is perfect for me to see them. The cabin looks great!

I am restoring a 100 year old house and was thinking of doing the inside with some of my old barn wood. Now I know what it would look like and want to use the wood even more!

There were actually from the inside of a very old farm impliment sales building. They are brown rather than the typical sun weathered gray barn boards you might find from the exterior of a building.

Brad nailed them random lengths right over OSB sheeting and used little patches of tar paper stapled behind any knot holes.

Ok, enought hijack.

Matt, what's cookin on your projects dude?

Beautiful weekend up in northern MN. Gonna roll my bird outside for some sanding in the sunshine.

Auto Transport Service
Back