• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilt 383 startup problems

Cross your fingers, BUT don't hold your breath!

Ok. As for now, I've shielded off the wires from the dist. I also set the pickup gap to 0.008" and installed a new ministarter. Gonna give it another attempt later today.

Yeah, your either getting fire, or your not. And, in the right firing order.
You can always check for fire at the coil (is it wired right?), or at one of the spark plugs, by pulling one, attach the plug wire, and set the plug on a ground surface. Turning the motor over, should see a spark.
It's all basic stuff. If needed, take a step back, and think things through. Easy to miss something!

Is this an MP electronic ignition conversion? W hat are your components?
Ignition1.gif
Ignition3.gif

DistAlign.jpg

I'm covering my face in my hands...

But partly, I can blame both myself and this book:
1471001.jpg

I really liked this book. It has helped me alot during the build but it has ONE big error!
On the last pages there's pictures of torque secuences and other "good to have at hand-stuff". For example a very good photo of the firing-order of a 383...
Since this book been laying next to my engine the entire build I chose that photo to refer to every 1000 times I had the firing order double checked.

...But it's wrong in the book. They screwed it up, it's backwards. It really should come with some kind of disclaimer och warning if they're gonna keep sell it. (other than that it's a great book!)

(I know the firing order also is to be found in my service manual, all over the internet and that YOU guys been given it to me more than two time in this thread)

My good... Sorry guys.

Now the good news: My first ever rebuilt engine fired up and (after some fiddeling with the timing) spun like a hellcat during the break-in-period!

Good deal!
And, don't sweat it...one piece of bad info, can screw anybody up. Just takes another look-see, to make it right.

Just now saw this thread, glad you found the problem. Yes, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2! I have committed it to memory long ago. Most any big block properly assembled with all systems working, plus cam and ignition timing set properly, will fire up almost immediately. I always set the balancer to the 15 degrees advance mark on the timing cover, then set the dist reluctor lined up with the pick up, and the rotor pointing to #1 plug wire. If you have fuel and compression, it should fire up right away.

Auto Transport Service
Back