• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember when department stores sold car parts

Speaking of skidmarks.....I still have some underwear I bought from Sears. :steering:

I never bought much if any car parts from a Department store
(*tires, maybe a Die-Hard Battery & a few hand tools/Craftsman at Sears, when they
were still made in the USA, still quality stuff, now my clothes were a different story,
dated a lady that was the floor mngr at Sears, got good deals
)
Department stores 'Car parts'
they are or were, mostly like most of that WalMart crap is today, sub-std imported crap
cheaper made stuff, 2nds or trainloads of **** they bought, 1 offs or closed outs
(Chinese made junk now, albeit they were probably from Japan or Indonesia, instead back then)

Why (?), when I could go another block or even closer to where I lived,
in either town/s to
Monument Auto Supply, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Antioch, Martinez
that I worked at, they had several locations, all in the East Bay
I could get anything I wanted, with knowledgeable personnel at the counter/s
at the same or even a lower price, much better quality, top named brands
& with a 100% money back guarantee...
I didn't either and my first Die-Hard battery died pretty easily lol

Bought most of my stuff from the auto parts store but did buy a lot of tools from Sears....
I still have most of the Craftsman tools I bought from Sears in 1988. :thumbsup:

I rebuilt my first engine (a 273 Power Pack) with rings bearings and gaskets purchased from the Sears catalogue. I was working part time in the Auto Centre, so I also had an employee discount.
I remember the first time to take my car for state inspection at a Sears Auto Center and the tech didn't want to pass it because of the 13" steering wheel I had on it....but about the time I was about to leave, a DPS cop drove up and I went over to him and asked about it. He looked and told the tech that if the rest of the car was fine then put a sticker on it! That was my first time to run into something like that but ran into many more dumb things over the years. Thing is I learned to say 'get out the book' and lets take a look at what it says lol
I still have most of the Craftsman tools I bought from Sears in 1988. :thumbsup:
I still have a few wrenches that my dad had....don't know when he bought them but I pretty much took them over in the mid 60's.....

yeah, I still have and use all the time, a full set of 1/2" socket set which included a breaker bar. Bought it 1977 to work on the front end of my '74 Duster. I lived on Long Island at that time drove into Manhattan every day. The LIE beat the hell out of the front and rear end in 3 short years. The socket set cost $19.99 and I felt like Sears was ripping me off.

Auto Transport Service
Back