• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reuse shim head gasket?

mala

Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
I have pull out my match # 383 engine, its been under my workbench for the last 25 + years now. I just put in new bearing, new rings in it and its run just fine in my engine test stand.

Now to the problem, its leak oil betwen head and block in the rear ( cyl 8) I was thinking to pull of the heads and mill them. The run time is just a cuple of minutes, can I reuse the shim/steel head gasket?

Thanks!

I have pull out my match # 383 engine, its been under my workbench for the last 25 + years now. I just put in new bearing, new rings in it and its run just fine in my engine test stand.

Now to the problem, its leak oil betwen head and block in the rear ( cyl 8) I was thinking to pull of the heads and mill them. The run time is just a cuple of minutes, can I reuse the shim/steel head gasket?

Thanks!
No, Never re-use head gaskets. Buy new ones.......

I agree = especially with a Steel Shim gasket.

It is way to time consuming to take the engine apart again.

Steel Gaskets are not that expensive.

And you wedge guys are lucky, they still make them. Small blocks? Nope.

Well, I have to pay 120-130$ for a pair steel head gasket and wait a cuple of weeks for new....

Fel Pro Permatorque gaskets are $19 at Rockauto. Your engine will never know the difference in compression. It might like it because of the puppy pee gas we have now days.

I would use the Felpro gasket over the steel shim. I think you will get a better seal. Just my 2cents

Fel Pro Permatorque gaskets are $19 at Rockauto. Your engine will never know the difference in compression. It might like it because of the puppy pee gas we have now days.

A 383 engine is not a high compression in 1970. If I calculate correct so is has it 8.9:1 with steel head gasket and 8.55:1 with a .039 gasket.

I would use the Felpro gasket over the steel shim. I think you will get a better seal. Just my 2cents

Maybe I go that path with felpro gasket and mill the heads .020 for compensate the thicker gasket.

A 383 engine is not a high compression in 1970. If I calculate correct so is has it 8.9:1 with steel head gasket and 8.55:1 with a .039 gasket.
Should be around 9.5 with a steel shim. Felpro will be close to 9; assuming 10:1 pistons for both gaskets.

Should be around 9.5 with a steel shim. Felpro will be close to 9; assuming 10:1 pistons for both gaskets.

I don`t think there is such ting as a 10:1 piston from the factory, building compression in a 383 engine is not an easy ting to do with open chambers heads.

I don`t think there is such ting as a 10:1 piston from the factory, building compression in a 383 engine is not an easy ting to do with open chambers heads.
All factory 4bbl engines that I know of had 10:1 pistons. As the engines were built they were about 1/2 a point less than advertised
but not in the high eights.

All factory 4bbl engines that I know of had 10:1 pistons. As the engines were built they were about 1/2 a point less than advertised
but not in the high eights.
1719613258865.png

Mopar rated the compression with 79cc heads.

At least, that is what they posted for spec. with NHRA way
back then.

But of course, as cast they were probably as big as 88cc.

Easy job to CC heads and cut them to factory specification.

Auto Transport Service
Back