• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reuse shim head gasket?

I have pull out my match # 383 engine, its been under my workbench for the last 25 + years now. I just put in new bearing, new rings in it and its run just fine in my engine test stand.

Now to the problem, its leak oil betwen head and block in the rear ( cyl 8) I was thinking to pull of the heads and mill them. The run time is just a cuple of minutes, can I reuse the shim/steel head gasket?

Thanks!
Hello , I am no expert , but have built a few of these . I am not trying to be a smart azz but you did come to the right place for this info . You did ask a legiti mate question ... but you seem to not like the answers you received , seem also not want to use the composite head gaskets so why are you even asking for help ? Again just a spectator on this thread but... I would definitely go for the composite gasket in your situation , especially with a new rebuild . Hate to re do anything after it is put together . Gary

Specs are always provided by the manufacturer. Who else would have them?
As I stated the specs reported by Chrysler were carefully thought out to enhance their use in NHRA stock and S/S. The specs given were nowhere near actual production. A fully blue printed 1971 340 will have a legal NHRA comp ratio of 12.98-1. A factory 1971 340 would be lucky to actually measure 10.2-1
Doug

I would coat those shims with some Copperkote and slap them back on, while I waited for a new set to arrive. You may be just fine and NOT need them, and have a spare set, which would be somewhat valuable as the long wait time you guys have. Repulling heads is not that much of a bigger for me, but could be for some.

Hello , I am no expert , but have built a few of these . I am not trying to be a smart azz but you did come to the right place for this info . You did ask a legiti mate question ... but you seem to not like the answers you received , seem also not want to use the composite head gaskets so why are you even asking for help ? Again just a spectator on this thread but... I would definitely go for the composite gasket in your situation , especially with a new rebuild . Hate to re do anything after it is put together . Gary

Maybe You don´t read my #13 post?

Auto Transport Service
Back