• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Route 66 trip

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
We leave next weekend from NY and jump on route 66 in St. Louis, MO.
Rented a new RV for the trip and going with a few friends.
Who's done it?
Where did YOU go?
What did YOU do?
Everyone's input is appreciated :)

1722517303436.png

You'll love this journey as
long as you keep the route
as your primary goal. It's
easy to shortcut the trip.
Rely on maps of old.
The wife and I followed
the route years ago, though
sad to say many of the old
landmarks no longer exist.

We leave next weekend from NY and jump on route 66 in St. Louis, MO.
Rented a new RV for the trip and going with a few friends.
Who's done it?
Where did YOU go?
What did YOU do?
Everyone's input is appreciated :)

View attachment 1703831
Plan your route thru
Albuquerque during
daylight hours.
I lived there for a number
of years. Nighttime
transformation is
virtually night and day.
You're headed into à
cross section of
America few get the chance
to experience these days.
Keep your wits about you.

I think Robin Williams did it.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Seriously, watch the movie RV.
As a seasoned RV'er it's hilarious.

I did this trip in 1997, driving a '79 Cadillac Seville I bought in Phoenix back to Chicago. Had lots of mechanical trouble, with dried out components and lack of lube. Had the rear checked at a stop near Tucumcari, New Mexico, and it was full of shavings. Wife wasn't thrilled when I called for Western Union money. You'll have a totally different experience with a late model vehicle. I felt like the Joad family in "Grapes of Wrath." Served me right for not buying another Mopar.

I did this trip in 1997, driving a '79 Cadillac Seville I bought in Phoenix back to Chicago. Had lots of mechanical trouble, with dried out components and lack of lube. Had the rear checked at a stop near Tucumcari, New Mexico, and it was full of shavings. Wife wasn't thrilled when I called for Western Union money. You'll have a totally different experience with a late model vehicle. I felt like the Joad family in "Grapes of Wrath." Served me right for not buying another Mopar.
1979, last year before the Seville went FWD isn't it?

Did it many years ago, coming back from the west coast. Awesome experience. A pickup and a Lincoln. Go off the route to see the Grand Canyon. Good move by starting at St. Loo. It seems when we hit the gateway arch, everything seemed to be the same east of the Miss.

Oatman AZ. Be sure to bring your cowboy hat and six-shooter.

Did it many years ago, coming back from the west coast. Awesome experience. A pickup and a Lincoln. Go off the route to see the Grand Canyon. Good move by starting at St. Loo. It seems when we hit the gateway arch, everything seemed to be the same east of the Miss.
Grand Canyon is on the menu :thumbsup:

Oatman AZ. Be sure to bring your cowboy hat and six-shooter.
Duly noted LOL

After you leave Amarillo, on the leg toward Albuquerque... embrace the splendor of the Rocky mountains jutting up majestically from the plains. It's a sight I'll never forget.

I've been on 66 a bunch of times, mostly in Arizona. The most I've done was on a trip to Tennessee to pick up a car. I've seen the Cadillac ranch and a few other landmarks. I still want to do it all, west to east in a classic, with a group of friends of course. I took this pic in Kingman where I have a rental house on our trip to Grand Canyon and Sedona last year. We were in a rental car so I left it out even though it was a Charger.

20231222_115614.jpg

Last edited:
I did this trip in 1997, driving a '79 Cadillac Seville I bought in Phoenix back to Chicago. Had lots of mechanical trouble, with dried out components and lack of lube. Had the rear checked at a stop near Tucumcari, New Mexico, and it was full of shavings. Wife wasn't thrilled when I called for Western Union money. You'll have a totally different experience with a late model vehicle. I felt like the Joad family in "Grapes of Wrath." Served me right for

After you leave Amarillo, on the leg toward Albuquerque... embrace the splendor of the Rocky mountains jutting up majestically from the plains. It's a sight I'll never forget.
Can't argue there.
Amarillo, flatter than
a pancake.
You'll gain a perspective
thàt will leave you awestruck,
especiallyj duringj times of
sunrise or sùnset.

Mary and I drove part of it in 2007. We drove from California through Kansas and jumped onto Rt 66 in Oklahoma so we didn't really experience all of it. By the time we got past Winslow AZ, we headed south to Scottsdale to stay with her family a few days.
We did visit a couple of tourist traps along the way. Shamrock Tx had a field with something like 29 Edsels all cooped up. I stopped almost every time I saw a collection of cars in a field.

Check out some of the Route 66 web sites. Lot of good info and pictures out there. Ive hopped on and off it over the years traveling back home to Missouri. I keep saying one these years Im just going to do the whole thing start to finish! Enjoy your trip! You'll have a good time

...I stopped almost every time I saw a collection of cars in a field.
This will be me. I can't help myself either LOL.

Check out some of the Route 66 web sites. Lot of good info and pictures out there. Ive hopped on and off it over the years traveling back home to Missouri. I keep saying one these years Im just going to do the whole thing start to finish! Enjoy your trip! You'll have a good time
Thanks! I am doing that currently and still getting after it! :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back