• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Route 66 trip

Tucumcari and Santa Rosa or great places to spend a few hours

I plan to go up to Kingman / Two Guns are this fall. Probably taking the Satellite ( on trailer though )

I was in Show Low / Pine Top area a couple years ago and took a day trip over to Winslow , in the car. LOVED it. Just be aware there are areas out there with minimal cell service

193486516_4747099671985835_5679192949011139485_n.jpg

193767375_4740599279302541_4109717723819961220_n.jpg

194404782_4747107651985037_8426441675468914826_n.jpg

Ive driven it a few times. ( parts of it at least ) . Santa Rosa NM is a must stop IMO
I'll be coming back west from Cincinnati Ohio week after next . But mostly expressway driving

There are areas west of Amarillo TX before getting to Albuquerque NM that you go for several miles and see NOTHING .

These pics are Tucumcari NM

20230609_080000.jpg

20230609_080019.jpg

20230609_080058.jpg

20230609_080100.jpg

20230609_075931.jpg

20230609_075737.jpg

20230609_075750.jpg

Dont forget to stop in Uranus for fudge

St Louis arch is cool, and A LOT taller than it looks from the hiway

20230602_123056.jpg

20230602_123117.jpg

20230607_163409.jpg

20230607_164030.jpg

I've watched documentaries and read articles about it for years now. Talk about a bucket list thing to do!
Not much chance of it happening for me I know, though - wrong end of the country for that (and wrong end of
the clock for me, of course) - but I still am fascinated with the thought of it.
Bet your arse I have this thread set to "Watch" though. Have a great time and send pics! :thumbsup:

I've been knocked down, drug out, left for dead
Barely held together by a few old threads
But I'm still here, though there ain't much left to see, no

Well I'm still holding on and there ain't much left of me
- Blackberry Smoke, "Ain't Much Left of Me"

Oh my unintentional halo. !!!

Purely accidental I assure you
Didnt even notice it until back home and blew it up on the laptop.
Lol

But it's a memory I shall not forget . Ever

Would like to offer suggestions, but my route 66 trip was in summer 1969, with a friend of my dad (Bill) and his son. Was entering HS that fall. We were in a ’67 Riv and old Bill, would get it going around 100mph or so on some stretches. Nice it had AC as when getting out, the heat was like a blast furnace. Remember signs saying last chance for gas, no gas for the next 100-miles.

Bit of memories, remain. Somewhere in west TX, middle of nowhere, we stopped at an old gas station. In front was the owner I guess, sitting on a wooden chair, tilted back against the wall. Weathered old guy in a straw cowboy hat, boots, dusty western shirt that might have been white at one time. Tall lanky guy. We pulled up to the pump and he sat there until we stopped, before getting up. Said about nothing as Bill said fill it up, hi-test. After the fill, he meandered back to his chair sitting back down as we drove off. Just wondered even then, what that guy’s life might have been all about sitting in nowhere. No other buildings for miles. We would drive 20-30 miles without seeing another car.

Later on in AZ, stopped at some Indian outpost selling trinkets next to the Grand Canyon. Walked over to the edge trying to look down, the ground was sandy sloping to the edge. Threw some rocks over and got a bit too close trying to see those land as I slipped onto my *** sliding nearer the edge. Scrambled like nuts first on my back then rolling on my belly to get away from the edge. Yeah, that recollection still sticks, lol. Didn’t mention this to Bill as he wasn’t the sort to let one forget being a dumb-***.

Would like to offer suggestions, but my route 66 trip was in summer 1969, with a friend of my dad (Bill) and his son. Was entering HS that fall. We were in a ’67 Riv and old Bill, would get it going around 100mph or so on some stretches. Nice it had AC as when getting out, the heat was like a blast furnace. Remember signs saying last chance for gas, no gas for the next 100-miles.

Bit of memories, remain. Somewhere in west TX, middle of nowhere, we stopped at an old gas station. In front was the owner I guess, sitting on a wooden chair, tilted back against the wall. Weathered old guy in a straw cowboy hat, boots, dusty western shirt that might have been white at one time. Tall lanky guy. We pulled up to the pump and he sat there until we stopped, before getting up. Said about nothing as Bill said fill it up, hi-test. After the fill, he meandered back to his chair sitting back down as we drove off. Just wondered even then, what that guy’s life might have been all about sitting in nowhere. No other buildings for miles. We would drive 20-30 miles without seeing another car.

Later on in AZ, stopped at some Indian outpost selling trinkets next to the Grand Canyon. Walked over to the edge trying to look down, the ground was sandy sloping to the edge. Threw some rocks over and got a bit too close trying to see those land as I slipped onto my *** sliding nearer the edge. Scrambled like nuts first on my back then rolling on my belly to get away from the edge. Yeah, that recollection still sticks, lol. Didn’t mention this to Bill as he wasn’t the sort to let one forget being a dumb-***.
Long tall Texan at the gas station led a peaceful existence.

If you don't want to spend the cash on a GPS you can still buy a trucker's road Atlas to avoid the liw underpasses and other pitfalls for larger vehicles.

Long tall Texan at the gas station led a peaceful existence.
Suppose so. Just didn’t look like a man who had an easy life, maybe divorced, widower, one-time rodeo star, maybe honest as the day is long, no-nonsense sort. He was probably younger than he looked. Lol, have NO clue, could be he spent time in prison. My guess is he’s not at the station anymore, if that’s around…55-years later..

Suppose so. Just didn’t look like a man who had an easy life, maybe divorced, widower, one-time rodeo star, maybe honest as the day is long, no-nonsense sort. He was probably younger than he looked. Lol, have NO clue, could be he spent time in prison. My guess is he’s not at the station anymore, if that’s around…55-years l
Maybe he's drinkin that cool Bubble Up and eaten that rainbow stew.

The first time I was on Rte 66 was in 1966 with my parents, from St. Louis to Oklahoma City. We sure stayed in some small towns but it was a fun trip. I was almost 14 years old. The first time I traveled it alone was in 1973 in my 71 Challenger convertible (which I still have). It was a great trip from St. Louis to LA. I stayed a night in Winslow, Az. I stopped at a gas station in the Oklahoma panhandle and went inside the station to use the restroom. I came out and the attendant had popped the hood on my car and was messing around under there. He said I needed a new fan belt. I checked and I didn't need one ( it was new when I started the trip), but I did see him put a pocketknife hurriedly in his pocket when I came out. I almost caught his hands in the hood when I slammed it down. I paid for my gas and left. Good times.
Terry W.

Whatever you do don't go during planting or harvest time unless you like the view of farmer John's equipment from the back for several country miles without an opportunity to pass.

I look forward to the trip, I’d like to go with a few friends and take my drop top ... it’s on my agenda.

Auto Transport Service
Back